Calendar overview 742
|Li Bai becomes a poet at the court of the Chinese Tang Dynasty .|
|742 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||190/191 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1285/86 (southern Buddhism); 1284/85 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||57th (58th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||104/105 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||120/121 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||124/125 (November 3-4)|
|Jewish calendar||4502/03 (September 5-6)|
from urbe condita MXDV (1495)
Diocletian era : 458/459 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1052/53 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1053/54 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||798/799 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- The Alemanni Duke Theudebald instigates an uprising in Alsace with the Wascones , Bavarians and Saxons . The caretakers Pippin and Karlmann go into the field against him.
- The Longobard King Liutprand deposed the Duke of Spoleto , Transemund , and sent him to the monastery. Transamund's ally Godescalcus , Duke of Benevento , is killed on the run after the decisive battle. Liutprand appoints his nephew Gisulf II as the new Duke of Benevento and another nephew Agiprand as Duke of Spoleto.
- After the usurper Artabasdos has seized the Byzantine capital Constantinople , it is besieged by Emperor Constantine V , who was in Asia Minor.
- The Arabs succeed in Berber after several years of fighting uprising of Maysara prostrate. Nevertheless, with the uprising, the direct administration of the caliphate over the Berbers in the Maghreb was badly shaken and partially collapsed.
First documentary mentions
- Mission Archbishop Bonifatius asks Pope Zacharias to confirm “Erphesfurt” as the bishopric (first documented mention of Erfurt ).
- First documented mention of Tutzing
- After forty years of vacancy , Stephen is again appointed an Orthodox patriarch in Antioch ; and the Umayyad - Caliph Hisham ibn Abd al-Malik was involved in the decision.
- The bishops of the dioceses of Würzburg and Büraburg , newly founded last year, are consecrated by Boniface .
- Chrodegang becomes Bishop of Metz .
- 742 or 743 : Concilium Germanicum convened
Exact date of birth unknown
Born around 742
- al-Mahdi , Abbasid Caliph († 785 )
- Arno , Archbishop of Salzburg († 821 )
- Liudger , Bishop of Münster († 809 )