Calendar overview 721
|K'inich Ahkal Mo 'Nahb III. becomes Ajaw of the Maya city of Palenque .|
|721 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||169/170 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1264/65 (southern Buddhism); 1263/64 (alternative calculation according to Buddhas Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||56th (57th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||83/84 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||99/100 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||102/103 (June 30th / July 1st)|
|Jewish calendar||4481/82 (August 27-28)|
ab urbe condita MCDLXXIV (1474)
Diocletian's era : 437/438 (New Year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1031/32 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1032/33 (turn of the year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||777/778 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- July 9: In the Battle of Toulouse , an army from the Frankish Empire, drawn together by Eudo of Aquitaine , defeats several thousand invading Saracens under their leader as-Samh ibn Malik al-Chawlani , who falls in this battle.
- After the death of King Chilperich II , the Frankish caretaker Karl Martell Theuderich IV raised him to his successor. Like Childerich, Theuderich is also a powerless shadow king, while the real power lies with the house man .
- Kormesij becomes Khan of the Bulgarian Empire, succeeding Tervel .
- December 30th: K'inich Ahkal Mo 'Nahb III. becomes ruler of the Maya city of Palenque after his uncle K'inich K'an Joy Chitam II dies without leaving a direct male heir.
- Bertrada the Elder , the mother-in-law of Pippin the Younger , donates the Prüm Abbey .
- Bonifatius founds the Amöneburg monastery cell .
- ʿAbdallāh ibn ʿAlī , military leader and member of the Abbasid family (d. 764)
Date of death secured
- May 7th: John of Beverley , Bishop of Hexham and York
- July 9th: as-Samh ibn Mālik al-Chaulānī , Islamic governor of Al-Andalus
- December 29th: Gemmei , Tennō (Empress) of Japan (* 661)
Exact date of death unknown
- between January 30th and May 13th: Chilperich II , Merovingian shadow king of the Franconian Empire (* around 670)
Died around 721
- Ardo , last king of the Visigoths
- K'inich K'an Joy Chitam II , ruler of the Maya city of Palenque (* 644)