Calendar overview 717
Marcello Tegalliano becomes the
second Doge of Venice .
|Karl Martell wins the Battle of Vincy over the Merovingians .|
|Leo III. usurps the throne of the Byzantine Empire .|
|717 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||165/166 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1260/61 (southern Buddhism); 1259/60 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||56th (57th) cycle|
|Chula Sakarat (Siam, Myanmar) / Dai calendar (Vietnam)||79/80 (turn of the year April)|
|Iranian calendar||95/96 (around March 21)|
|Islamic calendar||98/99 (13/14 August)|
|Jewish calendar||4477/78 (September 10-11)|
from urbe condita MCDLXX (1470)
Diocletian's era : 433/434 (turn of the year November)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 1027/28 (turn of the year April)
Syria: 1028/29 (New Year October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||773/774 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- March 21 : The Franconian caretaker Karl Martell and his Austrasian supporters win over their Neustrian opponents Chilperich II and his caretaker Raganfrid in the battle of Vincy . They then besiege and conquer Cologne .
- Chilperich II and Raganfrid form an alliance with the Frisian king Radbod .
- Karl Martell, caretaker of the Franconian Empire , had Chlothar IV crowned as king of the Austrasian part of the empire . He was able to move into Cologne himself and forced Plektrudis to hand over his father Pippin's state treasure to him .
- After their defeat at Vincy (or Vinchy; south of Cambrai), King Chilperich II. And his caretaker Raganfrid turn to Duke Eudo of Aquitaine , to whom they promise an independent kingdom in case of help.
Byzantine Empire / Umayyads
- March 25 : Leo III. usurps the throne of the Byzantine Empire ; he founded the Syrian ("Isaurian") dynasty .
- August 15 : During the Islamic expansion , the siege of Constantinople by the Arab army under general Maslama begins .
- September 1st : The Arab fleet under Caliph Sulayman supports the land army in the siege of Constantinople.
- On the false news that Constantinople had been conquered, Basil Onomagulos is crowned the new (counter) emperor Tiberios by the Sicilian strategist Sergios .
- ʿUmar ibn ʿAbd al-ʿAzīz succeeds Sulayman ibn Abd al-Malik as the eighth Umayyad caliph .
Republic of Venice
- November: Beginning of the Yōrō period , after which the Yōrō code of 718 is named - a body of law that shaped ancient Japan
- Nechtan, King of the Picts , drives the monks out of Iona Monastery .
- from 717: Reconstruction of the destroyed Monte Cassino monastery by Abbot Petronax
Date of death secured
Exact date of death unknown
- Eadwulf , King of Northumbria
- Liutwin , Bishop of Reims, Trier and Laon, saint
- Sulayman , Umayyad Caliph
Died around 717
- Basil Onomagulos , Byzantine counter-emperor
- Theodo II , Duke of Bavaria
- between 717 and 719: Hedan II , Duke of Thuringia