Adam Nathaniel Yauch (born August 5, 1964 in New York ; † May 4, 2012 ibid) was an American musician and record producer who was best known as a founding member of the Beastie Boys under the pseudonym MCA .
Yauch was born in Brooklyn, New York in 1964 to Frances and Noel Yauch. In high school , he taught himself to play bass . After school he attended Bard College in New York , which he left after two years. In 1979 he founded the Beastie Boys with Michael Diamond (Mike D), John Berry and Kate Schellenbach , which initially produced hardcore punk . With the release of their debut album Licensed to Ill (1986) and the subsequent tour with the hip-hop band Run-DMC , the band made their breakthrough. With over 40 million records sold and four number 1 albums in the USA, the Beastie Boys are one of the most successful hip-hop bands. Under the pseudonym Nathaniel Hörnblowér , Yauch also directed numerous music videos for the group. B. at So What'cha Want , Intergalactic , Body Movin and Ch-Check It Out .
From 1992 Yauch became interested in Buddhism , from 1996 he was a practicing Buddhist. In the same year he founded the Milarepa Fund together with Erin Potts , which supported the International Tibet Independence Movement and in 1996 organized the Tibetan Freedom Concert in San Francisco in front of 100,000 spectators, one of the largest benefit concerts since Live Aid .
In 2002, Yauch founded the Oscilloscope Laboratories film company . The company produced the concert film Awesome; I Fuckin 'Shot That! (2006) and the basketball documentary Gunnin 'for That # 1 Spot (2008). Yauch also distributes independent films such as Kelly Reichardt's Wendy and Lucy (2008) and Meek's Cutoff (2010), Oren Moverman's The Messenger (2009), Banksy's street art documentary Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010) and Lynne Ramsays We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011).
In July 2009, Yauch was diagnosed with parotid gland cancer, as a result of which the release of the album Hot Sauce Committee Part 1 was postponed and already planned performances were canceled. After a temporary hope that he had overcome cancer, his health deteriorated again. Yauch could no longer attend the ceremony for the band's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April 2012.
He died on May 4, 2012 at the age of 47 in the New York Presbyterian Hospital in Manhattan . He left behind his wife and a daughter (* 1998).
In 2013, a park in Brooklyn was dedicated to Adam Yauch, which he played in as a child.
As a director
- 2011: Fight For Your Right Revisited , anniversary sequence for the music video of the same name from 1986, USA.
- 2006: A Day in the Life of Nathaniel Hörnblowér , Mockumentary , USA. (The half-hour film depicts the everyday life of Yau's fictional alter ego Nathaniel Hornblower.)
- 2004: Awesome; I Fuckin 'Shot That! (An Authorized Bootleg) , concert film, USA.
- 2000: Intergalactic , Body Movin and Three MC's & One DJ music videos by the Beastie Boys, directed under the pseudonym Nathanial Hörnblowér.
- Website of his production company Oscilloscope Laboratories
- Adam Yauch at Discogs (English)
- Adam Yauch in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Adam Yauch in the nndb (English)
- "Beastie Boy" Adam Yauch is dead , Spiegel Online , May 4, 2012
- Zeit.de: Obituary
- ↑ a b 'Beastie Boys' MCA Dead at 47 at tmz.com, accessed May 4, 2012
- ↑ a b Adam Yauch (MCA) Of The Beastie Boys Dies At 47 , on Globalgrind.com, accessed May 5, 2012
- ^ Adam Yauch on His Spiritual Journey: 'I Don't Care If Somebody Makes Fun of Me' at rollingstone.com, accessed May 4, 2012
- ^ Beastie Boys co-founder Adam Yauch Dead at 47 at rollingstone.com, accessed May 4, 2012
- ^ How Adam Yauch Rocked Hollywood with Oscilloscope at hollywood.com, accessed May 4, 2012
- ↑ Album and tour postponed: Beastie Boys singer has cancer in Stern on July 21, 2009
- ^ Beastie Boys' Adam Yauch Diagnosed With Cancerous Tumor at pitchfork.com, accessed May 4, 2012
- ↑ Beastie Boy 'hopeful' over cancer at bbc.co.uk, accessed May 4, 2012
- ↑ Adam Yauch is a park in Brooklyn dedicated at joiz.ch archived on November 5, 2014
- ^ Adam Yauch - IMDb , accessed January 14, 2016.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Yauch, Adam Nathaniel (full name); MCA (pseudonym)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American musician and record producer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||5th August 1964|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||new York|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 4, 2012|
|Place of death||new York|