|Canton :||Valais (VS)|
|BFS no. :||6031|
|Postal code :||1934 (Le Châble)|
|UN / LOCODE :||CH LCA (Le Châble)
CH VER (Verbier)
|Height range :||774–4312 m above sea level M.|
|Area :||284.10 km²|
|Residents:||8096 (December 31, 2018)|
|Population density :||28 inhabitants per km²|
|Location of the municipality|
Bagnes ( German formerly Bangis ) is a political municipality and a civil parish in the district of Entremont in the canton of Valais in Switzerland . The main town of the municipality is Le Châble. Another place is the Verbier winter sports area .
At 282.2 km², Bagnes is one of the largest municipalities in Switzerland in terms of area.
It consists of numerous villages and hamlets. There is no actual village center; the municipal administration is located in Le Châble. Only 1.9% of the municipality is settlement area, the largest part is mountain area. The municipality lies on the border with Italy and consists of the districts of Val de Bagnes, Bruson, Champsec, Cotterg, Fionnay, Le Châble, Les Morgnes, Lourtier, Medières, Mauvoisin, Montagnier, Prarreyer, Sarreyer, Verbier, Versegères and Villette.
87.42% speak French, 3.76% Portuguese and 2.72% English.
Politics and administration
Bagnes has a parliament, which is elected for a term of office of four years by proportional representation. The general council ( conseil general ) consists of 45 people. The municipal council ( conseil communal ) is the eleven-member executive and is elected in the same way as parliament. There are also two community judges.
The economy is shaped by tourism. Agriculture employs 11% of the workforce, industry 28% and the service sector 61%.
- The Sentier des Chamois runs in the Val de Bagnes .
- From Sembrancher , the main road 205 runs to Le Châble and Verbier.
- The terminal station of the Chemins de fer Martigny – Orsières (MO) - today part of the Transports de Martigny et Régions (TMR) is located in the district of Le Châble . It connects Le Châble on the one hand and Orsières with Martigny on the Simplon Line on the other . The station was rebuilt underground in 2018 for CHF 27 million with a direct connection to the Verbier and Bruson cable cars.
- Philippe Carron (* 1944), racing car driver
- Albert Maret (1900–1984), electrical engineer, initiator of Lac de Mauvoisin
- Maurice Troillet (1880–1961), State Councilor (1913–1953)
- Jean-Yves Gabbud: Bagnes. In: Historical Lexicon of Switzerland . 2011 .
- Jean-Yves Gabbud: Châble, Le. In: Historical Lexicon of Switzerland . 2005 .
- Bagnes on the ETHorama platform
- Le Châble on ETHorama
- Champsec on ETHorama
- Lourtier on ETHorama
- Official website of the municipality of Bagnes
- Permanent and non-permanent resident population by year, canton, district, municipality, population type and gender (permanent resident population). In: bfs. admin.ch . Federal Statistical Office (FSO), August 31, 2019, accessed on December 22, 2019 .
- Commune de Bagnes: Conseillers generaux , accessed on November 17, 2015
- Commune de Bagnes: Conseillers communaux , accessed on November 17, 2015
- Commune de Bagnes: Pouvoir judiciaire , accessed November 17, 2015
- Groundbreaking ceremony for the new train station in Le Châble takes place In: 1815.ch of 26 August 2016