Traditional and commonly the term is different in use and is usually used for small, sweet fruit, the soft fruit .
If the outer layer is hard, leathery, such as in the case of pumpkins , citrus fruits or cucumbers , then one speaks of a tankberry . If the flower has several ovaries, each of which develops a berry-like fruit, the result is a collective berry .
The berries include bananas , blueberries , citrus fruits (e.g. lemon , orange ), dates , melons , kiwis , papayas , the fruits of many nightshades (e.g. paprika , tomatoes , tamarillo , potato berries , eggplant , black nightshade , bittersweet nightshade , belladonna ) and avocados .
- Examples of soft fruit that are not berries
The following fruits, which are called berries because of their external shape, are not considered to be botany ( soft fruits ):
- Strawberry , a common nut fruit
- Raspberry and blackberry are collective drupes
- Boysenberry and Loganberry are crosses of raspberry and blackberry
- Elderberry , a stone fruit
- Rowan , an apple fruit
- Juniper berries are cones
- Theodor CH Cole: Dictionary of Biology. 4th edition, Springer, 2015, ISBN 978-3-642-55327-1 , p. 91.
- Hans-Dieter Belitz , Werner Grosch, Peter Schieberle : Textbook of food chemistry. 5th completely revised edition, Springer-Verlag, 2001, ISBN 3-540-41096-1 , pp. 792-793.
- Alfred Täufel, Waldemar Ternes, Liselotte Tunger, Martin Zobel: Food Lexicon. 4. Completely revised edition, Behr's Verlag, 2005, ISBN 3-89947-165-2 .