Bent Sørensen (composer)
Sørensen studied from 1983 to 1987 at Det Kongelige Danske Music Conservatory , Copenhagen in Ib Nørholm's class. He then became a student of Per Nørgård at Det Jyske Music Conservatory in Aarhus and finished his studies in 1991.
Sørensen achieved international fame with his violin concerto Dying Gardens , for which he was awarded the Nordic Council's Music Prize in 1996 . In the same year he was appointed visiting professor at the Det Jyske Conservatory of Music . From 2000 to 2001 he also taught at the music academies in Stockholm and Piteå . Since 2003 he has been professor of composition at the Det Kongelige Danske Conservatory of Music, and in 2008 he was also a visiting professor at the Royal Academy of Music in London . In 2004 he was elected a permanent member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Music . Sørensen has been chairman of the Society for Danish Composers since 2014. Also in 2014 he received the Wilhelm Hansen Prize of Honor from the Danish Wilhelm Hansen Foundation.
In 2009 Warner Classics released Leif Ove Andsnes CD Shadows of Silence , for which Sørensen composed the works Lullabies and Shadows of Silence especially .
In November 2017, the University of Louisville announced that Sørensen would receive the Grawemeyer Award 2018 in the composition category for his triple concerto L'isola della Città . “The five-movement work for violin, violoncello, piano and orchestra was written for the Danish ensemble Trio con brio and the Danish National Symphony Orchestra”. The world premiere took place in January 2016 in Copenhagen.
Sørensen's compositions are distributed by Edition Wilhelm Hansen. A large number of his compositions have been recorded since 1990 and have been released on phonograms.
Arne Nordheim once said of Sørensen's compositional work that it reminded him of something he had not heard before. Sørensen is known for its unique sound conception with ethereal echoes and repetitions. Between the poles of a warm, romantic tonality and the atonality of Schönberg, he interweaves the polyphony of the Renaissance in his compositions.
- Contemporary composers , edition text + kritik , Munich, ISBN 978-3-86916-606-3 .
- Hartmut Krones (Ed.): Multicultural and international concepts in new music. Series of Viennese writings on stylistics and performance practice , special series Wien modern . Böhlau Verlag , Vienna 2008, ISBN 978-3-205-77501-0 .
- Contemporary Composers , edition text + kritik , Munich
- Royal Academy of Music: Bent Sørensen , accessed January 12, 2016
- Danish Composers' Society. Council of Nordic Composers, accessed November 28, 2017 .
- Katy Wright: Bent Sørensen wins 2018 Grawemeyer Award. Rhinegold, November 28, 2017, accessed November 28, 2017 .
- Prismodtagere called årene. Wilhelm Hansen Fonden, archived from the original on February 25, 2017 ; Retrieved November 28, 2017 (Danish).
- Bent Sørensen: The Shadows of Silence - Leif Ove Andsnes. In: YouTube . WarnerClassics, February 9, 2009, accessed November 28, 2017 .
- Program note: Bent Sørensen - L'Isola della Citta (2015). In: YouTube . Edition Wilhelm Hansen, January 19, 2016, accessed on November 28, 2017 (English).
- Composer Bent Sorensen receives Grawemeyer Award 2018. Klassik.com , November 28, 2017, accessed on November 28, 2017 .
- Andrew Mellor: Contemporary composer: Bent Sørensen. Gramophone , November 28, 2017, accessed November 28, 2017 .
- Bent Sørensen. Music Sales Classical, accessed November 28, 2017 .
- Compositions. Allmusic , accessed on November 28, 2017 .
- Melissa Chipman: Danish composer wins 2018 UofL Grawemeyer Award for Music Composition. Insider Louisville, November 28, 2017, accessed November 29, 2017 .
- Hartmut Krones : Multicultural and International Concepts in New Music . Böhlau Verlag , 2008 ( full text in the Google book search).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Danish composer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 18, 1958|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Borup|