Choupette (born August 19, 2011 in Fontaine-sous-Préaux as Guimauve du Blues Daphnée ) is a French Birman cat who is used as a model , among other things . She became famous as the house cat of the fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld (1933–2019).
The white Birman cat with blue eyes originally belonged to model friend Baptiste Giabiconi . He asked Lagerfeld to take care of the cat while he was abroad. Lagerfeld took a liking to the animal, and finally Giabiconi gave him the cat.
The name Choupette means "sweet" or "sweetness" in German.
Social media and media coverage
The cat became known in 2012 through a tweet from a French magazine editor.
The Twitter account @ChoupettesDiary was set up and operated by Ashley Tschudin, the former social media coordinator of the online newspaper The Daily , which was discontinued in 2012 , and was only authorized by Karl Lagerfeld in June 2012. Karl Lagerfeld also set up Instagram and Facebook accounts for the cat .
Lagerfeld “complained” in 2012 that the cat was more famous than him. Regardless of this, he created the image of a diva in the style of Greta Garbo for her and described the cat as aloof. She would hate children and other animals. Two maids would take care of their needs . At dinner she sat at Lagerfeld's table. The dishes were prepared for them by their own home cook. She was also given her own dishes in upscale restaurants and allegedly has a preference for expensive caviar . She also had her own bodyguard and traveled by private jet .
Choupette has been reported in various media. That's how Karl Lagerfeld spoke about her in New York Magazine . The Süddeutsche Zeitung used the answers to create a fictional interview with the cat in which Choupette spoke of himself in the third person. Brigitte Bardot wrote to Choupette in order to dissuade her owner from a fashion collection made of furs , which she was unsuccessful with.
As an advertising figure, Lagerfeld let her advertise Opel and Japanese beauty products, with which she allegedly earned three million euros in 2014. The Opel photos were shown at a vernissage in Berlin in 2015 . Choupette also appeared as a cover model, together with Gisele Bündchen and Linda Evangelista , in various editions of Vogue . In 2014 the guide book Choupette: The Private Life of a High-Flying Fashion Cat was published . Lagerfeld also developed its own collections under the titles "Monster Choupette!" And "Choupette in Love", which include various accessories such as socks, key rings, shopping bags, handbags and T-shirts.
- Patrick Mauriès , Jean-Christophe Napias: Choupette: From the life of a cat at the side of Karl Lagerfeld . Edel Germany, Hamburg 2015. ISBN 978-3-8419-0353-2 .
- Official account at Facebook
- Choupette's diary
- Dana Thomas: What happened to Choupette? , The New York Times, January 22nd 2020
- Lagerfeld's Love. .vogue.co.uk, June 6, 2012, accessed February 21, 2016 .
- «Photos: devinez à qui appartient Choupette?!» , Public , 01/2012.
- Choupette Lagerfeld on Twitter
- The Choupette Phenomenon , Vogue , June 8, 2013
- choupettesdiary on Instagram
- Karl Lagerfeld On Choupette Stealing His Limelight, Admiring Victoria Beckham & Kate Middleton Not Dressing Like A Mad Woman. In: Yahoo Lifestyle India. Retrieved February 21, 2016 .
- Choupette - the cat that makes millions. Die Welt , April 3, 2015, accessed June 28, 2015 .
- Amy Larocca: Karl Lagerfeld on His Mother, € 3 Million Cat, and Being a 'Fashion Vampire'. New York Magazine , March 31, 2015, accessed June 28, 2015 .
- Lena Jakat: Interview with Lagerfeld cat Choupette: "People irritate me". Süddeutsche Zeitung , April 2, 2015, accessed on June 28, 2015 .
- Le Figaro: Brigitte Bardot écrit une lettre antifourrure à la chatte de Lagerfeld
- Protests against the Lagerfeld fashion show: A designer for all skins , Spiegel online, July 9, 2015
- The pampered life of Lagerfeld's luxury cat. Stern.de , February 4, 2015, accessed on June 28, 2015 .
- Martine Cartegini, Guillaume Evin: Les coulisses de la haute couture . Hugo Et Compagnie, 2015, ISBN 978-2-7556-2518-9 , pp. 161 (  [accessed February 21, 2016]).
- Claudia Connell: The cat earning £ 2m a year: And it provides Karl Lagerfeld's moggie model with purrfect jetset life, dahlings. Daily Mail , April 2, 2015, accessed June 28, 2015 .
- Choupette collection by Karl Lagerfeld , Vogue.de, October 28, 2013