After graduating from high school, he studied philosophy and theology at the University of Bonn for two years . As an alumnus of the Pontificium Collegium Germanicum et Hungaricum de Urbe , he continued these studies from 1987 to 1990 at the Pontificia Università Gregoriana in Rome . On May 5, 1990, he was ordained deacon in Il Gesù (Rome) for the Archdiocese of Cologne . After that he spent a practical year as a deacon in the parish of St. Patricius in Eitorf . After his return to Rome he received the ordination as a priest on October 10, 1991 in Sant'Ignazio di Loyola in Campo Marzio from Johannes Joachim Degenhardt . In the following years he completed the theological licentiate degree ( Lic. Theol. ) In the field of dogmatics at the Gregoriana , which he completed in 1993.
From 1993 to 1996 he was chaplain in the pastoral care area of the parish of St. Antonius (Wuppertal) . He then completed the postgraduate course in Canon Law at the Canon Institute of the University of Munich , which he completed with Winfried Aymans in 1999 with a theological doctorate ( Dr. theol. ) And in 2001 with a canonical licentiate ( Lic. Iur. Can. ). During the years of his habilitation studies , he was a research assistant at the Klaus Mörsdorf study program for canon with Winfried Aymans (2001–2003) and with Helmuth Pree (2003–2007). In addition, he was at this time first as a chaplain in the Angerkloster of the poor school sisters of Our Lady , from 2002 as a subsidiar in the parish Maria Schutz (Pasing) and as Rector ecclesiae in the house of St. Benedict of the secular institute Cruzadas de Santa María in Munich- Pasing active.
Since 2003 he has worked for the sermon magazine God's Word in the church year and for the religious radio station Radio Horeb and holds regular retreats . In 2004, together with other diocesan priests , he founded the priestly community of Fr. Tomás Morales , which is linked to the Cruzadas de Santa María secular institute and of which he is the head. After completing his habilitation in the field of canon law in 2006, he took on teaching positions both at the Klaus Mörsdorf course for canon studies ( Munich ) and at the Catholic Theological Faculty of the University of Mainz . On November 18, 2008 by Pope Benedict XVI. Appointed consultor , he advised the Vatican Congregation for the Clergy until 2017 . Since 2009 he has been visiting professor at the canonical faculty of the Universidad Eclesiástica San Dámaso (UESD) in Madrid , a papally recognized ecclesiastical university that emerged from the seminary of the Archdiocese of Madrid in the 1990s, as well as lecturer at the Episcopal Studies Rudolphinum Regensburg . From 2010 to 2020 he was full professor of canon law at the Trier Theological Faculty , from 2012 to 2013 at the same time dean of the faculty and from 2015 to 2020 dean of studies.
At the beginning of the 2019/20 winter semester, Christoph Ohly was appointed acting rector of the St. Augustin University of Philosophy and Theology , which was renamed the Cologne University of Catholic Theology (KHKT) on February 1, 2020 . There he has been a full professor of canon law since April 1, 2020 . He is considered to be the preferred candidate of the Cologne Cardinal Rainer Maria Woelki , who described the personality as trend-setting for the preservation of the university and Ohly as one of the "renowned theologians in Germany". For the further development of the university, which is to move from Sankt Augustin to Cologne , he relies on cooperation and refers to statements by Joseph Ratzinger on the nature of theology, which cannot speak of God as if he were a mere hypothesis of human thought.
Ohly was one of the speakers and has been chairman of the board of the new student group Joseph Ratzinger / Pope Benedict XVI, founded in 2007 with his participation . He is also a member of the Board of Trustees of the Joseph Ratzinger Pope Benedict XVI Foundation and, together with Hanna-Barbara Gerl-Falkovitz , Karl-Heinz Menke and Christoph Binninger, forms the theological advisory board of the Catholic weekly newspaper Die Tagespost during the synodal path of the Roman Catholic Church in Germany published supplement Welt & Kirche , which wants to "take a critical look at" the course and results of the internal church reform process.
- Sensus fidei fidelium. To classify the sense of faith of all believers in the communion structure of the church in the historical mirror of dogmatic-canonical knowledge and the statements of Vatican II (= Munich Theological Studies. III. Canonical Department. Volume 57). EOS Verlag, St. Ottilien 2000, ISBN 3-8306-7024-9 (also dissertation, Munich 1999).
- Cooperative pastoral care. A canonical study on the changes in partial church pastoral care structures in the dioceses of the Cologne church province (= dissertations. Canonical series. Volume 17). EOS Verlag, St. Ottilien 2002, ISBN 3-8306-7106-7 (also licensed work, Munich 2001).
- Confession - the sacrament of reconciliation. Considerations and assistance . Kath. Secularinst. Cruzadas de Santa Maria, Munich 2004, ISBN 3-939183-00-8 .
- as editor with Michaela Christine Hastetter and Georgios Vlachonis: Symphony of Faith. Young Munich theologians in dialogue with Joseph Ratzinger / Benedikt XVI. EOS, St. Ottilien 2007, ISBN 3-8306-7293-4 .
- Service to the Word of God. A legal systematic study on the form of sermon and catechesis in canon law (= Munich Theological Studies. III. Canonical Department. Volume 63). EOS Verlag, St. Ottilien 2008, ISBN 3-8306-7297-7 (also habilitation thesis, Munich 2006/2007).
- as editor with Thomas Marschler : Spes nostra firma. Festschrift for Joachim Cardinal Meisner on his 75th birthday . Aschendorff, Münster 2009, ISBN 978-3-402-00437-1 .
- as editor with Michaela Christine Hastetter and Ioan Moga: Symphonie des Wort. Contributions to the Revelation Constitution “Dei Verbum” in the Catholic-Orthodox dialogue. Ceremony of the new group of students for the 85th birthday of Joseph Ratzinger / Pope Benedict XVI. EOS-Verl., St. Ottilien 2012, ISBN 978-3-8306-7541-9 .
- as editor with Wilhelm Rees and Libero Gerosa : Theologia Iuris Canonici. Festschrift for Ludger Müller on the completion of the 65th year of life (= canonical studies and texts. Volume 67). Duncker & Humblot., Berlin 2017, ISBN 978-3-428-15339-8 .
- with Ludger Müller: Catholic canon law. A study book (= utb. Volume 4307). Ferdinand Schöningh, Paderborn 2018, ISBN 978-3-8252-4307-4 .
- Curriculum vitae on the homepage of the Rudolphinum Regensburg (as of 2015)
- Profile on the homepage of the KHKT
- Christoph Ohly acting rector of the PTH Sankt Augustin. In: Domradio . October 2, 2019, accessed June 17, 2020 .
- Cardinal Woelki celebrates change of university sponsor in Sankt Augustin "For a future-oriented form of theology". In: Domradio. February 7, 2020, accessed June 17, 2020 .
- Curriculum vitae on the homepage of the chair and vacancy notification on the homepage of the previous chair in Trier, accessed on June 17, 2020.
- Theological college moves from Sankt Augustin to Cologne. In: Katholisch.de . June 5, 2020, accessed June 17, 2020 .
- Rudolf Gehrig: Professor Ohly: "It is important that everyone pulls together". In: CNA . January 20, 2020, accessed on June 17, 2020 (interview with Christoph Ohly).
- Report on the 2018 annual meeting of the New School Group on the Joseph Ratzinger / Pope Benedict XVI Foundation website , accessed in January 2019.
- Memberships (PDF) Ohlys on the KHKT homepage.
- "Tagespost" starts with special supplements. In: Domradio. November 28, 2019, accessed June 18, 2020 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German clergyman and canon lawyer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 28, 1966|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Gelsenkirchen|