Don Winslow was born in New York, but grew up in Perryville on the Rhode Island coast . His father was a corporal in the United States Navy and his mother a librarian. His grandmother worked first for the populist politician Huey Pierce Long and then for the mobster Carlos Marcello , to whose house in Algiers ( New Orleans ) Winslow was invited several times.
He studied African history at the University of Nebraska . In the late 1970s he moved back to New York, working in cinemas, as a private detective , and safari leader in Kenya and China until he took up another degree, this time in military history . In the late 1980s he wrote his first novel about the private detective Neal Carey, which was followed by four more. In the mid-1990s, he moved to California with his wife Jean and their son Thomas , where they live on a farm in Julian .
With the novel The Death and Life of Bobby Z (1997; Eng. The Resurrection of Bobby Z, 1997) Winslow had a first great success. His masterpiece is the monumental novel The Power of the Dog (2005; days of the dead , 2010) about the drug war in Mexico , for which he researched for six years.
When the Oliver Stone film adaptation of Savages , for which he wrote the screenplay , came into American cinemas in July 2012 , he finally rose to the league of the great American crime writers. At the same time, his new novel The Kings of Cool (2012; dt. Kings of Cool, 2012), the prequel to Savages, was published . It tells the origin of the uncompromising love triangle between Ben, Chon and Ophelia against the background of a cross-generational struggle for dope , the beach and ultimately all of California.
Winslow sees himself as a crime writer who wants to entertain, not a politician. Nonetheless, in interviews he expresses very specific views on current political problems. He is of the opinion that the so-called Mexican drug problem is a problem of the uncontrollable border between Mexico and California , the world's largest supermarket for cocaine, where marijuana users only drink fair-trade coffee and at the same time do not worry about the origin of their coffee drugs consumed. He spoke to the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung in favor of “legalizing all drugs immediately” because “a large part of the crime and corruption worldwide is caused by this unbelievable amount of money that is generated in the drug trade”.
The Neal Carey range
- 1991 A Cool Breeze on the Underground
- 1992 The Trail to Buddha's Mirror
- 1993 Way Down on the High Lonely
- 1994 A Long Walk Up the Water Slide
- A Long Walk Up the Water Slide, German by Conny Lösch; Berlin: Suhrkamp 2016. ISBN 978-3-518-46583-7
- 1996 While Drowning in the Desert
- Palm Desert, German by Conny Lösch; Berlin: Suhrkamp 2016. ISBN 978-3-518-46584-4
The cartel saga
- 2005 The Power of the Dog , Knopf, New York, ISBN 978-0-375-40538-9 .
- 2015 The Cartel (The Power of the Dog II) , Knopf, New York, ISBN 978-1-101-87499-8 .
- 2019 The Border . William Morrow (imprint of Harper Collins ), New York, ISBN 978-0-06-266448-8 .
- Years of the Hunter, German by Conny Lösch; Droemer Knaur, Munich 2019, ISBN 978-3-426-30428-0 .
- 1996 Isle of Joy
- 1997 Death and Life of Bobby Z
- 1999 California Fire and Life
- The language of fire, German by Chris Hirte; Suhrkamp, Berlin 2012, ISBN 978-3-518-46350-5 .
- 2006 The Winter of Frankie Machine
- Frankie Machine, German by Chris Hirte; Suhrkamp, Berlin 2009, ISBN 978-3-518-46121-1 .
- 2008 The Dawn Patrol
- Pacific Private, German by Conny Lösch, Suhrkamp, Berlin 2009, ISBN 978-3-518-46096-2 .
- 2009 The Gentlemen's Hour
- Pacific Paradise, German by Conny Lösch; Suhrkamp, Berlin 2010, ISBN 978-3-518-46172-3 .
- 2010 Savages
- 2011 satori
- Satori, German by Conny Lösch; Heyne, Munich 2011, ISBN 978-3-453-40808-1 .
- 2012 The Kings of Cool
- Kings of Cool, German by Conny Lösch; Suhrkamp, Berlin 2012, ISBN 978-3-518-46400-7 .
- 2014 Vengeance
- Retaliation, German by Conny Lösch; Suhrkamp, Berlin 2014, ISBN 978-3-518-46500-4 .
- 2014 Missing. new York
- 2016 Germany
- Germany, German by Conny Lösch; Droemer Knaur, Munich 2016, ISBN 978-3-426-30430-3 .
- 2017 The Force
- Corruption, German by Chris Hirte; Droemer Knaur, Munich 2017, ISBN 978-3-426-28168-0 .
- 2001/2002 two episodes of the US television series UC: Undercover
- 2002 Full Ride (together with George Mills / director: Mark Hoeger )
- 2006 the episode David and Goliath of the US television series Close to Home
- 2012 Savages (with Shane Salerno and Oliver Stone )
- Kings of Cool . Read by Dietmar Wunder . The Audio Verlag , Berlin 2012, ISBN 978-3-86231-227-6 .
- Time of anger . Read by Dietmar Wunder. The Audio Verlag, Berlin 2011, ISBN 978-3-86231-105-7 .
- The language of fire . Read by Dietmar Wunder. The Audio Verlag, Berlin 2012, ISBN 978-3-86231-175-0 .
- Days of the dead . Read by Dietmar Wunder. The Audio Verlag, Berlin 2012, ISBN 978-3-86231-225-2 .
- Satori . Read by Frank Arnold . Random House Audio , 2011.
- Missing. New York . Read by Martin Keßler . Argon Verlag , 2014.
- The cartel . Read by Dietmar Wunder. Lübbe Audio , 2015.
- Corruption. Read by Dietmar Wunder. Lübbe Audio, 2017.
- Years of the Hunter. Read by Dietmar Wunder. (4 MP3-CDs 1787 min.) Lübbe Audio, Cologne 2019. ISBN 978-3-7857-5977-6
- with Peter Maslowski : Looking for a Hero: Staff Sergeant Joe Ronnie Hooper and the Vietnam War , University of Nebraska Press 2004
- 1994 Maltese Falcon Award for A Cool Breeze on the Underground
- 2000 Shamus Award for California Fire and Life
- 2009 Palle Rosenkrantz Prize for Frankie Machines sidste vinter (Original: The Winter of Frankie Machine )
- 2010 Crime of the Year 2009 (5th place) in the KrimiWelt best list for Frankie Machine
- 2010 Maltese Falcon Award for The Power of the Dog
- 2011 Crime of the year 2010 (1st place) in the KrimiWelt best list for Days of the Dead
- 2011 German Crime Prize - International 1st place for Days of the Dead
- 2011 T. Jefferson Parker Book Award for Savages
- 2012 German Crime Prize - International 2nd place for Zeit des Zorns
- 2015 Premio RBA de Novela Negra (Spain) for The Cartel
- 2015 Los Angeles Times Book Prize for The Cartel
- 2016 Maltese Falcon Award for Missing
- 2017 Prix Mystère de la critique for Cartel
- Literature by and about Don Winslow in the catalog of the German National Library
- Don Winslow in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Don Winslow's Homepage
- German publisher's homepage about Don Winslow
- Short biography and reviews of works by Don Winslow at perlentaucher.de
- Pittsburgh Tribune interview with Don Winslow, May 8, 2005, accessed September 19, 2010
- Interview with Don Winslow on curledup.com, 2007 (English), accessed August 21, 2010
- Interview with Don Winslow on mulhollandbooks.com, August 10, 2010, accessed on March 21, 2014
- crime writer Don Winslow about sex, drugs and Oliver Stone , Süddeutsche Zeitung Magazin 37/2012, accessed September 17, 2012
- Lars Reichardt: Don Winslow on violence , interview, in: Süddeutsche Zeitung , May 30, 2015, p. 38
- "Corruption is part of the system"
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American writer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 31, 1953|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||New York City|