Under Village Renewal refers to government-sponsored programs that support the construction, traffic engineering and cultural conditions in villages to improve.
ARGE village renewal
Individual countries have already carried out national campaigns, which is why the European ARGE Land Development and Village Renewal was founded in 1989 . The association sees itself as an unbureaucratic association of politicians, experts and scientists. The ARGE is based in Vienna . Until 2006, the ARGE worked as a platform for the Austrian Eco-Social Forum .
In November 2006, the ARGE was founded as an independent association with its own legal personality. Since 2009, the association has received support from the Europe for Citizens program of the European Commission's Directorate-General for Education and Culture .
The current chairman is the Governor of Lower Austria, Erwin Pröll .
19 European member countries and regions are members of the ARGE. Switzerland has been a member since 2008. The Lower Silesian Voivodeship joined in 2009 .
Village renewal award
In order to create an incentive, the ARGE awards the European Village Renewal Award, which has been awarded every two years since 1990.
In Germany, the architect and professor Wilhelm Landicket is known as the “father of village renewal”.
Village renewal guidelines
Village renewals are carried out on the basis of the village renewal guidelines adopted by the federal states.
The general objectives of village renewal are set out in the text of the guidelines, for example in Lower Saxony :
“The promotion of village renewal is part of the state's structural policy for rural areas and the rural areas of regulatory areas. It should enable the communities and their citizens to preserve the unmistakable character of rural settlements, which are characterized by socio-economic, structural-spatial, ecological and cultural values, and to adapt the villages as living, working, social and cultural areas to future requirements. "
The money used in village renewal comes from state, federal and EU funds.
The funding should (also in Lower Saxony, for example):
- make it possible to develop guidelines for the future development of the village,
- Maintain and improve rural settlements as locations for agricultural and forestry operations,
- Eliminate economic obstacles in agricultural and forestry operations and reduce their workload,
- harmonize the environmental impact of agricultural and forestry operations with the requirements of contemporary living and working,
- improve the living conditions of farming families,
- secure and strengthen the general economic power of the village,
- secure the building fabric typical of the area, if necessary through conversion,
- improve the living environment,
- Preserve or restore the rural ecological character and diversity,
- make a contribution to the maintenance of the townscape and the creative development of the village,
- integrate the village into the surrounding landscape
- as well as giving impetus for a meaningful long-term village development and for further public and private investments.
The sequence and focus within the aforementioned list of the goals of village renewal show that in Lower Saxony, in particular, the agricultural and forestry operations are being moved into the core area of interest. Their position in the village is to be secured and developed as a matter of priority. But the other aspects of village development, such as general economic development, the development of the village as a place to live, maintenance of the townscape and village ecology, should also be the subject of village renewal.
In Hesse, the focus is more on the conversion of formerly agricultural buildings, with the maintenance and creation of jobs playing an important role in addition to the creation of living space.
A distinction must be made in the village renewal programs between the promotion of communal and private measures. In the case of municipal measures in Hesse, special emphasis is placed on ensuring that they are developed together with all local population groups. In particular, measures should be promoted that provide for internal development (building in the center of the town) before external development (new development areas) and that take demographic development into account; d. This means that an attempt should be made to keep the villages liveable for all age groups.
Village renewal plan
The basis for promoting village renewal in accordance with the village renewal guidelines of the respective federal states is a village renewal plan, which shows the development goals for the planning area and the measures required for implementation in text and map.
The village renewal plan is a local development concept that is intended to provide an overview of future planning and action in the village, and which specifies the time and financial framework for the planned measures. The village renewal plan is to be drawn up by the municipalities. Intensive participation of the resident citizens and property owners is sought. The public interest bodies , the villagers and other claimants are to be involved in the planning in an appropriate manner.
- In Bavaria , this task is coordinated by the former land consolidation authorities , now known as the Office for Rural Development .
- In Hesse , the offices for rural areas (at the respective district office ) are responsible, funding is provided by the Hessen Economic and Infrastructure Bank (Wiba). Village development plans are no longer created here, but in the year the location is recognized as a funding focus, an integrated municipal development concept (IKEK) is created jointly by a specialist office with the local residents, which, in addition to a strengths / weaknesses analysis, provides a model for future development and receives a catalog of measures for the communal measures, but no planning in the narrower sense. Funding priorities in Hessen remain in the program for 9 years, after which funding is no longer possible.
- In Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania , the municipalities and associations of municipalities are funded. Are the contact persons for funding
- outside the areas of land consolidation / land consolidation proceedings the district and
- within the areas of land consolidation / land consolidation proceedings, the locally responsible land consolidation authority, i.e. the state offices for agriculture and the environment.
- In Rhineland-Palatinate , village renewal officers are active in the district administrations who oversee village renewal. Every local community that presents a qualified village renewal concept is included in the funding program, and funding can flow for both private and municipal measures. In addition, "investment and measure priorities" are recognized for a period of six years. By updating the village renewal concepts and special advisory and moderation services, priority should be given to the distribution of funds in the priority communities.
In Austria, the idea of village renewal began to gain a foothold in the federal states in the late 1980s. Since spatial development is also the responsibility of the federal states here , village renewal is also organized at the state level , similar to the urban renewal that begins later . Lower Austria played a leading role in this area . The village development programs run throughout Austria as part of the Local Agenda 21 and the LEADER programs.
The programs and institutions of the countries are:
- Village renewal department, Office of the Burgenland Provincial Government
- Department 20 - State Planning, Local and Regional Development / EU Program Office, Office of the Carinthian State Government
- Lower Austrian Village and Urban Renewal , Association of Municipalities (founded in 1990)
- L (i) worthwhile municipalities , Department of Spatial Planning / Village and Urban Development, Directorate for State Planning, Economic and Rural Development, Office of Upper Austria. State government
- Community development Salzburg , project of the Salzburg Institute for Spatial Planning & Housing and the Salzburg Educational Institute (tasks assigned in 1993 by the State Office for Village and Urban Renewal in the Office of the Salzburg State Government)
- Rural development Styria , association (commissioned by the state, the financing takes over the department A7 regional and community development, state of Styria - Office of the Styrian regional government)
- Village renewal Tyrol , Village renewal & LA 21 control center, Dept. of Land Management, Office of the Tyrolean Provincial Government
- VII Construction and Spatial Planning, Office of the Vorarlberg State Government
In Vienna, which hardly has village structures, but modern concepts of urban village pursued is as urban development Vienna cooperation of numerous municipal departments (business group - urban development, transport, ...; Municipal Directorate-Stadtbaudirektion, group scheduling, MA 18 urban development and urban planning, MA 19 Architecture and urban design; and others).
The Austrian Sustainability Portal of the Ministry of Life looks after the affairs at the federal level .
- Village renewal, 2 volumes: Suggestion for participation , Ed. Dieter Schoeller. 309, 251 pp. Fig. ISBN 3-7022-1808-4 ,
- Series of publications by the Club Niederösterreich, 1981ff.
- Office of the Lower Austrian Provincial Government (publisher), Lower Austria beautifully preserved - beautifully designed , 1982ff.
- Office of the Lower Austrian Provincial Government (ed.) We are renewing our village , 1986ff.
- C. Kirlinger, Village Renewal in Austria, 1986; Conservation - Renewal, magazine for urban and village renewal , 1989ff.
- Office of the Burgenland Provincial Government (ed.), Unser Dorf , 1991ff.
- B. Gawlik and O. Wawschinek (editors), 2nd European Village Renewal Congress , published by the Austrian Society for Agriculture and Forestry Policy , 1991.
- landentwicklung.org ( Memento of the original from October 10, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , European ARGE rural development and village renewal
- Holger Magel : Village renewal . In: Historical Lexicon of Bavaria
- Golddorf has "radiance" to Japan , article from March 19, 2009 in the Badische Zeitung
- Fit for the future with village renewal - the example of Ahaus-Alstätte (article)
- Example of extensive citizen information on village renewal , woiga.de
- Village renewal ( Memento of the original from April 1, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , burgenland.at; Zukunftburgenland.at
- Section 20 - State Planning , ktn.gv.at
- Lower Austrian village and city renewal, Association for State, Regional and Community Development - www.dorf-stadternerung.at
- Village and urban development , land-oberoesterreich.gv.at
- SIR - Community Development ( Memento of the original from March 5, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , salzburg.gv.at; gemeindeentwicklung.at
- M 322 “Village renewal and development” ( Memento of the original from January 16, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , landentwicklung.steiermark.at; Die Landentwicklung Steiermark ( Memento of the original dated February 7, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , sustainability.steiermark.at
- Village renewal Tyrol ( Memento of the original from September 30, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , tirol.gv.at
- Community development ( Memento of the original from September 21, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , vorarlberg.at
- Urban development Vienna , wien.gv.at
- The Austrian sustainability portal, Sustainability.at
- Klaus Mlynek : COUNTRY NOTES, Wilhelm. In: Dirk Böttcher , Klaus Mlynek, Waldemar R. Röhrbein, Hugo Thielen : Hannoversches Biographisches Lexikon . From the beginning to the present. Schlütersche, Hannover 2002, ISBN 3-87706-706-9 , p. 222; online through google books
- village development | Hess. Ministry of the Environment, Climate Protection, Agriculture and Consumer Protection. Retrieved August 2, 2018 .
- Entry on village renewal in the Austria Forum (in the AEIOU Austria Lexicon )
- vorarlberg.at · Community development · Links: Building - Community development ( Memento of the original from September 21, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.