His greatest success in a one-day race was in 2005 at the Giro del Veneto . He took part in the Tour de France five times , which he finished four times, with 13th place in 2005 being his best result.
Mazzoleni started six times at the Giro d'Italia and was able to finish the race every time. After his best placing was tenth in the 2003 Giro d'Italia , he finished third in 2007 in the last year of his career. After reaching the mountain on Monte Zoncolan , Mazzoleni delivered a doping test that was considered suspicious because it had abnormally low hormone levels, which can be an indication of the use of drugs masking doping.
Mazzoleni, like many other cyclists and track and field athletes, worked with the "doping doctor" Dr. Santuccione and was therefore initially banned from his last team Astana in 2007 and 2008 by the sports court for two years. In the course of the " Oil for Drugs " investigation, which has been ongoing since 2003, he was accused of having procured and administered doping substances. In June 2010 Mazzoleni was sentenced to four months' imprisonment and a fine of 6,500 euros for trafficking in doping substances. In the same trial, his wife Elisa, sister of professional cyclist Ivan Basso , was sentenced to one year in prison in a court in Bergamo.
Even before the official end of his cycling career in 2008, Eddy Mazzoleni opened the Ristorante Casanova in Curno .
Grand Tour placements
|Tour de France||71||-||-||-||70||DNF||-||13||27||-|
|Vuelta a España||-||-||-||-||-||-||70||-||-||-|
- cyclingnews.com of June 25, 2007: Italian paper calls Giro doping test results 'abnormal'
- cyclingnews.com of April 9, 2008: Mazzoleni gets two year ban
- Sid : Cycling - Doping: Mazzoleni sentenced to four months in prison . FOCUS Online. June 18, 2010. Retrieved June 18, 2010.
- Lidewey van Noord, Robert Jan van Noort: Pellegrina. An Italian cycling pilgrimage . Covadonga , Bielefeld 2017, ISBN 978-3-95726-013-0 , pp. 136 f .
- Eddy Mazzoleni in the Radsportseiten.net database
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Italian cyclist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||29th September 1973|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bergamo|