As the son of a school teacher from Tyrnau in western Slovakia , he began studying medicine. Without finishing this, he moved to Vienna and from then on devoted himself exclusively to music . At the beginning he made a living from piano lessons and studied music on the side. At the Leopoldstädter Theater of Karl von Marinelli he became Kapellmeister and first violinist in 1795 and also took over the management of the singing school .
In the course of his life he created over 200 operas and singspiele , such as "Das Donauweibchen" (1798) and other compositions, such as over 20 masses, requiems , symphonies , quartets, concerts and the like. Kauer's “New Hungarian Dances” are the earliest documents for string ensembles in the history of Verbunkos music and were written on the occasion of the coronation of Emperor Franz I as King of Hungary in 1792.
Despite Kauer's great musical productivity, he became impoverished from 1820 onwards. When the Danube flooded on March 1, 1830, his apartment was also flooded and all of his work records were destroyed. A year later he died a beggar.
In his honor, Rudolfsheim-Fünfhaus (15th district) in Vienna was named Kauergasse . Kauer is considered the role model for the character of the " Poor Minstrel " by Franz Grillparzer . Spielmanngasse in the 20th district of Brigittenau has been named after him indirectly since 1968 .
- Constantin von Wurzbach : Kauer, Ferdinand . In: Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich . 11th part. Kaiserlich-Königliche Hof- und Staatsdruckerei, Vienna 1864, pp. 41–43 ( digitized version ).
- Moritz Fürstenau : Kauer, Ferdinand . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 15, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1882, p. 461 f.
- Theophil Antonicek: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 11, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1977, ISBN 3-428-00192-3 , p. 340 ( ). In:
- Works by and about Ferdinand Kauer in the German Digital Library
- Opera works with performance dates by Ferdinand Kauer in the DFG opera project
- Sheet music and audio files by Ferdinand Kauer in the International Music Score Library Project
- List of stage works by Ferdinand Kauer based on the MGG at Operone
- styriarte ( Memento of the original from January 16, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian composer and conductor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 18, 1751|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Klein Tajax near Znojmo , South Bohemia|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 13, 1831|
|Place of death||Vienna|