Gabriele "Gabi" Zimmer (born May 7, 1955 in East Berlin ) is a German politician ( Die Linke ). From 2000 to 2003 she was federal chairman of the PDS , before that from 1990 to 1998 she was state chairman of the PDS Thuringia and from 1999 to 2000 she was the leader of the PDS parliamentary group in the Thuringian state parliament . She was a member of the European Parliament from 2004 to 2019 .
Life and work
After graduating from high school, Gabi Zimmer completed a degree in Theoretical and Applied Linguistics at the Karl Marx University in Leipzig in 1973 in Russian and French , which she completed in 1977 as a qualified linguist . Then she started working as a clerk at VEB Jagd- und Sportwaffenwerk Ernst Thälmann in Suhl . From 1981 to 1987 she was editor of the company's own newspaper and then from 1987 to 1989 she was a member of the SED party leadership of this company.
Gabi Zimmer is non-denominational, married and has two children.
Gabi Zimmer became a member of the SED in 1981. In November 1989 she was elected SED party secretary for her company. In February 1990 she was elected PDS district chairman in Suhl and from July 1990 to December 1998 she was PDS state chairman in Thuringia .
From 1997 to 2000 she was deputy party chairman. On October 14, 2000, she succeeded Lothar Bisky as Federal Chairwoman of the PDS. After the party had failed at the five percent hurdle in the 2002 Bundestag election and the ensuing wing battles between the left and right, it announced on May 7, 2003 at a special PDS party conference that it would not run again. On June 28, 2003, Lothar Bisky was finally re-elected party leader.
From 1990 to 2004 she was a member of the Thuringian Parliament . She was the top candidate of her party in the state elections in 1994 and 1999 . After the state elections in 1999 she became chairwoman of the PDS state parliamentary group , but after her election as PDS federal chairman on November 1, 2000, she handed over this office to Werner Buse .
She was elected a member of the European Parliament in the 2004 , 2009 and 2014 European elections . There they belonged to the group GUE / NGL and was Substitute Member of the Committee on Employment and Social Affairs and a member of the Conference of Presidents and the Delegation to the ACP-EU. From 2012 to 2019 she was also group leader. For the European elections in 2019 it has not raced for more.
- Hans-Dieter Schütt : Between the tree and the base. Conversations with Gabriele Zimmer. Berlin 2000, ISBN 3-320-02008-0 .
- Helmut Müller-Enbergs : . In: Who was who in the GDR? 5th edition. Volume 2. Ch. Links, Berlin 2010, ISBN 978-3-86153-561-4 .
- Gabriele Zimmer , in: Internationales Biographisches Archiv 03/2006 of January 21, 2006, in the Munzinger archive ( beginning of the article freely available)
- Literature by and about Gabi Zimmer in the catalog of the German National Library
- Own web presence
- Gabi Zimmer at the European Left
- Entry on Gabi Zimmer in the database of Members of the European Parliament
- Home | Gabriele ZIMMER | MPs | European Parliament. Retrieved June 27, 2019 .
- "I've learned to be angry" , Neues Deutschland, February 23, 2019
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Zimmer, Gabriele|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German politician (SED, PDS, Die Linke), MdL, MdEP|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 7, 1955|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|