Georg Phillips (legal historian)
He was born the son of the English businessman James Phillips and his wife Eleonore. In 1822 he began studying law in Berlin , which he continued at the University of Göttingen , where he also received his doctorate . After studying in Great Britain , Phillips completed his habilitation on German law in Berlin. In 1827 he was appointed associate professor in Berlin. In 1828 he joined his wife Charlotte (born Housselle; † 1865) to the Catholic faith.
In 1833 he moved to Munich as Ministerialrat . There he accepted a professorship in history the following year and a little later became a full professor of law. In 1838 he was one of the co-founders and owners of the historical-political papers for Catholic Germany . In connection with the Lola Montez affair , however, he was removed from his position as professor. From May 18, 1848 to May 7, 1849, he was a non-attached member of the Catholic Club , a member of the Frankfurt National Assembly for the 8th Lower Bavarian constituency in Deggendorf . In 1849 he became a foreign member of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences . In 1850 he was offered an appointment at the University of Innsbruck . In 1851 Phillips moved to a chair in the law faculty of the University of Vienna . After the death of his wife, he married his housekeeper Veronica Dirr in Vienna in 1868 . This marriage also remained childless.
In 1894, Phillipsgasse in Vienna- Penzing (14th district) was named after him.
His brother was the Prussian politician Adolph Phillips the Elder .
- Constantin von Wurzbach : Phillipps, Georg . In: Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich . 22nd part. Kaiserlich-Königliche Hof- und Staatsdruckerei, Vienna 1870, pp. 211–216 ( digitized version ).
- Georg Phillips, in: Deutscher Hausschatz in words and images for 1874, Pustet, Regensburg 1874, pp. 57–64. obituary
- Johann Friedrich von Schulte : Phillips, George . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 26, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1888, pp. 80-88.
- WM Plöchl: Austrian Biographical Lexicon 1815–1950 (ÖBL). Volume 8, Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Vienna 1983, ISBN 3-7001-0187-2 , p. 45. In:
- Franz Kalde: PHILLIPS, George. In: Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL). Volume 7, Bautz, Herzberg 1994, ISBN 3-88309-048-4 , Sp. 515-518.
- Heinrich Best, Wilhelm Weege: Biographical manual of the members of the Frankfurt National Assembly 1848/49 . Droste-Verlag, Düsseldorf 1998, ISBN 3-7700-0919-3 , p. 261 .
- Andreas Thier: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 20, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2001, ISBN 3-428-00201-6 , p. 401 f. ( ). In:
- Almanac of the Imperial Academy of Sciences for the year 1873, p.192ff Nekrolog
- Thomas Bauer, George Philipps - Laity in the Church , GRIN Verlag, 2007
- Literature by and about Georg Phillips in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Georg Phillips in the German Digital Library
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German canon lawyer and legal historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 6, 1804|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Koenigsberg|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 6, 1872|
|Place of death||Aigen (Salzburg)|