He has been President of the Bank of Greece since June 10, 2014 .
Stournaras graduated in 1978 with a degree in economics from the University of Athens and then completed postgraduate studies in economic theory and policy at the University of Oxford , graduating with a master's degree in 1980 and a doctorate in 1982 . He was then a research associate and lecturer at St. Catherine's College and the Institute for Energy Studies, both in Oxford, until 1986 .
From 1994 to July 2000 he was Chairman of the Advisory Board in the Greek Ministry of Economy and Finance. He was involved in the design and implementation of the EU convergence programs and represented the ministry at the EU Monetary Committee . As chief economic advisor to Prime Minister Kostas Simitis , he took part in the negotiations on Greece's accession to the European Economic and Monetary Union (EMU).
From 1994 to 1997 he was deputy chairman of the former state gas supplier DEPA (affiliated company of Hellenic Petroleum ) and member of the board of the public debt administration (from 1998 to July 2000).
From July 2000 to March 2004 he was Chairman of the Board of the formerly state-owned Emporiki Bank and Deputy Chairman of the Greek Bankers Association. During this time the Emporiki Bank was fundamentally restructured. From 2005 to 2008, Stournaras was Managing Director of Kappa Securities, then Director General of the Industrial and Economic Research Foundation (IOBE), a think tank of the National Bank of Greece .
In May and June 2012, Stournaras succeeded Anna Diamantopoulou as Minister for Economic Development, Competition and Maritime Affairs (Minister of Economics) in the interim government of Panagiotis Pikrammenos . On June 26, 2012, Prime Minister Andonis Samaras announced his appointment as finance minister in the Samaras cabinet . He was sworn in for this office on July 5, 2012. Vasilis Rapanos , who had previously been appointed to office, did not take up office after a fit of weakness.
- Who is Yannis Stournaras? - Article about Giannis Stournaras on athensnews.gr (English)
- Giannis Stournaras on worldcat.org (English)
- welt.de: Economist Yannis Stournaras will be the new Greek finance minister , June 26, 2012, accessed on June 26, 2012
- sueddeutsche.de: Stournaras becomes Greek Finance Minister , June 26, 2012
- Greece: Stournaras sworn in as finance minister , Die Presse of July 5, 2012, accessed on July 5, 2012
- Die Welt: Greek finance minister does not run " , June 25, 2012, accessed on June 26, 2012
- Jannis Papadimitriou: Greece's finance minister has to go , DW.DE, June 10, 2014
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Stournaras, Yannis; Στουρνάρας, Γιάννης|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Greek economist and finance minister|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 10, 1956|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Athens|