Gisela Brinker-Gabler (née Gabler; born November 19, 1944 in Hindenburg , Upper Silesia ; † June 6, 2019 in New York City ) was Professor of Comparative Literature at the State University of New York in Binghamton , USA . She is considered one of the leading West German pioneers of feminist literary criticism.
Study and job
After studying German , philosophy and pedagogy , Gisela Brinker-Gabler received her doctorate in 1973 in Cologne with a thesis on Ludwig Tieck . She then worked as Assistant Professor for German Language and Literature at the University of Florida , Gainesville , USA, in 1974/75 . She then took on teaching positions at the University of Essen (from 1976) and the University of Cologne (from 1981).
From the end of the 1970s, Brinker-Gabler published several groundbreaking editions and encyclopedias on German-speaking women writers, with which she made “exceptional contributions to German literature by women”. With her fundamental source work and her reading of the existing, male-dominated literary historiography against the grain, she made many little-known, forgotten or disregarded texts by women accessible again. In 1978 she published an anthology of German-speaking female poets with German Poets from the 16th Century to the Present . At this point in time, there was hardly any preparatory work or selection categories for such a compilation. In the informative introduction she analyzed the general conditions under which the authors had written, namely the social expectations, the lack of educational opportunities for women and the scarce literary contacts. Using anti-feminist literature and quotations from leading authors, she proved that women writers were not taken seriously. The introduction is considered to be one of the best essays on German women writers.
In the context of the new women's movement, the big publishers introduced their own women's series at the end of the 1970s. In 1978, at Brinker-Gabler's suggestion, the non-fiction book series “The Woman in Society - Early Texts” was established by S. Fischer Verlag . According to his own statement, the aim of the series was to trace back the renewed discussion of the status and self-image of women in the 1970s to historical tradition. Brinker-Gabler was editor of the series from 1978 to 1986.
From 1988 until her death, Brinker-Gabler was Professor of Comparative Literature at the State University of New York in Binghamton. From 2007 to 2010 she was chairman of the department. In 1991 she was also a distant visiting professor (NEH) at the University of Minnesota , Morris . In 1999/2000 she was a Käthe Leichter Professor at the University of Vienna .
In 2012 she published the study Image in Outline about Lou Andreas-Salomé, which was described as instructive . Shortly before that, some preliminary considerations as an essay: “Image and word. Lou Andreas-Salomé and Walter Benjamin "
Gisela Brinker-Gabler was married to the chemist Udo H. Brinker, who is a full professor of chemistry at the University of Vienna. The couple has a son.
As an author
- Poetic and scientific mediaeval reception. Ludwig Tieck renovation of old German literature (= Göttingen work on German literature . No. 309 ). Kümmerle, Göppingen 1980, ISBN 3-87452-491-4 . At the same time, dissertation at the University of Cologne from 1973.
- with Karola Ludwig, Angela Wöffen: Lexicon of German-speaking women writers 1800–1945 . Deutscher Taschenbuch Verlag, Munich 1986, ISBN 3-423-03282-0 .
- Image and word: Lou Andreas-Salomé and Walter Benjamin . MedienEdition Welsch, Taching am See 2011, ISBN 978-3-937211-27-5 . Web link: 
Image in outline. Reading Lou Andreas-Salomé (= New directions in German studies . No. 6 ). Bloomsbury, London 2012, ISBN 978-1-62892-017-8 .
- German translation: Lou Andreas-Salomé - picture in outline. A reading . Königshausen and Neumann, Würzburg 2018, ISBN 978-3-8260-6298-8 .
German poets from the 16th century to the present day . Fischer, Frankfurt am Main 1978, ISBN 3-596-21994-9 . With an introduction by Gisela Brinker-Gabler.
- Extended new edition: German female poets from the 16th century to the present day. Poems and CVs . Anaconda, Cologne 2007, ISBN 978-3-86647-172-6 .
- On the psychology of women . Fischer, Frankfurt am Main 1978, ISBN 3-596-22045-9 . Early texts by Lou Andreas-Salomé , Hedwig Dohm , Isolde Kurz , Rosa Mayreder , and others
Women's work and profession . Fischer Taschenbuch Verlag, Frankfurt am Main 1979, ISBN 3-596-22046-7 .
- Edition of literary texts, scientific articles and documentation from the period from 1861 to 1929 (one text is from around 1200). The texts are by Hartmann von Aue , Fanny Lewald , Lily Braun , Marie Wegner , Emma Döltz , Louise Otto-Peters , Hedwig Dohm, Clara Zetkin , Else Lüders , Else Eberhardt, Alice Salomon , Käthe Schirmacher , Agnes Karbe , Maria Lischnewska , Ricarda Yikes , Wally Zepler , Emma Ihr , Gertrud Hanna , Marianne Schiller, Susanne Suhr , Käthe Leichter , Frieda Glass , Marie-Elisabeth Lüders , Charlotte von Reichenau and Lina Morgenstern .
- My life story . Fischer, Frankfurt am Main 1980, ISBN 3-596-22047-5 . Digital new edition 2015 ( ISBN 978-3-10-560709-1 ).
- Women against war . Fischer, Frankfurt am Main 1980, ISBN 3-596-22048-3 . Digital new edition 2016 ( ISBN 978-3-10-560937-8 ).
- Autobiography of a German rebel . Fischer, Frankfurt am Main 1981, ISBN 3-596-22044-0 . Digital new edition 2015 ( ISBN 978-3-10-560710-7 ).
- Fighter for peace. Bertha von Suttner . Memoirs, speeches and writings . Fischer, Frankfurt am Main 1982, ISBN 3-596-22053-X .
- German literature by women. Vol. 1: From the Middle Ages to the end of the 18th century . Beck, Munich 1988, ISBN 3-406-32814-8 .
- German literature by women. Vol. 2: 19th and 20th centuries . Beck, Munich 1988, ISBN 3-406-33021-5 .
- Encountering the other (s). Studies in literature, history, and culture . State University of New York Press, Albany 1995, ISBN 0-7914-2160-0 . (from this first chapter ).
- with Sidonie Smith (Ed.): Writing new identities. Gender, nation, and immigration in contemporary Europe . University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis 1997, ISBN 0-8166-2460-7 .
- with Markus Zisselsberger (Ed.): “If we had the word”. Ingeborg Bachmann, views and reviews . Ariadne Press, Riverside, Calif. 2004, ISBN 1-57241-130-9 .
- Homepage of Gisela Brinker-Gabler
- Information to Gisela Brinker-Gabler , Binghamton University
- Essay "Image and Word: Lou Andreas-Salomé and Walter Benjamin"
- Gisela Brinker-Gabler: Tiecks adaptations of old German literature: production, conception, effect. A contribution to the history of the reception of older German literature . Cologne. 1973. therein: curriculum vitae
- The German women's movement: the social role of women in the 19th century and the emancipation movement in Germany / ed. by Ingeborg Drewitz. Hohwacht, 1983. p. 159
- Ruth-Ellen Boetcher Joeres: Gisela Brinker-Gabler (ed.), German literature by women. In: Arbitrium . tape 8 , no. 2 , 1990, ISSN 1865-8849 , pp. 140–144, here 141 , doi : 10.1515 / arbi.19184.108.40.206 .
- Gisela Brinker-Gabler (Ed.): Women's work and occupation . Fischer Taschenbuch Verlag, Frankfurt am Main 1979, ISBN 3-596-22046-7 (information on the editor and the series in the framework text of the book).
- Who is who? The German Who's Who. LII 2015-2016 . Schmidt-Römhild, Lübeck 2015, p. 122 .
- Sigrid Bauschinger: Review of German literature by women: From the Middle Ages to the end of the 18th century. Vol. 2: 19th and 20th centuries . In: The German Quarterly . tape 63 , no. 3/4 , 1990, pp. 569-570, here 569 , doi : 10.2307 / 406773 .
- Sigrid Lange: Review of German literature by women, Bd. 1: Bd. 2,; Women's questions in German-language literature since 1945, Amsterdam 1989 (Amsterdam contributions to modern German studies, vol. 29) . In: Journal for German Studies . tape 1 , no. 2 , 1991, p. 438–441, here 438 .
- Jennifer E. Michaels: Review of German poets from the 16th century to the present: Poems and résumés; German Women Writers of the Twentieth Century, Elizabeth Rütschi Herrmann . In: The German Quarterly . tape 52 , no. 4 , 1979, p. 572-573, here 572 , doi : 10.2307 / 405920 .
- Claudia Kramatschek: "There are books that work on a small scale ". Ingeborg Mues. Editor and editor . In: Gabriele Kalmbach (Hrsg.): Women make books . Ulrike Helmer, Königstein 2000, ISBN 3-89741-046-X , p. 189–192, here 190 .
- Agatha Schwartz: Review of Image in Outline: Reading Lou Andreas-Salomé . In: The German Quarterly . tape 86 , no. 4 , 2013, p. 493–495, here 493 .
- Image and word: Lou Andreas-Salomé and Walter Benjamin . MedienEdition Welsch, Taching am See 2011, ISBN 978-3-937211-27-5 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Gabler, Gisela (maiden name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German literary scholar, editor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 19, 1944|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Hindenburg , Upper Silesia|