Greg Cohen (born July 13, 1953 in Los Angeles ) is an American jazz bassist.
Live and act
Cohen grew up in Los Angeles; Together with his brother Danny Cohen, he first played in garage bands based on surf sound. In high school, he took an interest in jazz and other genres. He was first known for his work in the band of Tom Waits , in which he played since 1978 (and stayed until the early 1990s). He also played on the west coast with Victor Feldman , Conte Candoli , Teddy Edwards , Billy Higgins and Jack Sheldon . In 1984 he moved to New York City, where he was involved in numerous projects by the New York saxophonist and band leader John Zorn , such as in his Masada Quartet and the Masada Chamber Ensembles ; but he also played in Dave Douglas Charm of the Night Sky . Since 1996 he has also emerged with his own groups and with precise arrangements went "into the waters of Duke Ellington " (Wolf Kampmann).
In recent years he has toured with Ornette Coleman and contributed to his album Sound Grammar . In addition, he was active in the field of traditional jazz , worked with musicians such as Ken Peplowski , Kenny Davern and the film director and clarinetist Woody Allen . He was a regular member of Woody Allen and his New Orleans Jazz Band and appears in the documentary Wild Man Blues , directed by Barbara Kopple , which documented the band's 1996 European tour. He also worked on his album The Bunk Project (1993) and the soundtrack album by Wild Man Blues (1997).
Cohen also played with David Byrne , Sanda Weigl and Elvis Costello . He has produced and arranged for Marisa Monte , David Byrne, Holly Cole , Dagmar Krause , David Sanborn , Tom Waits and Gal Costa . He also arranged the score for Ed Wood and Fried Green Tomatoes . As part of the Charles Mingus project Weird Nightmare: Meditations on Mingus , he worked with Bill Frisell , Art Baron , Don Alias and Don Byron in 1992 . In Robert Altman film Short Cuts he belonged to the Low Note Quintet , the Annie Ross accompanied.
Cohen has been involved in the recording of Keith Richards and Charlie Watts , Lou Reed and Laurie Anderson . He also worked with artists as diverse as Susana Baca , Gal Costa, Willie Nelson , Bill Frisell , Norah Jones , Tricky , Joey Baron , Donovan , Crystal Gayle , Bob Dylan , Alan Watts , Lee Konitz , Richie Havens , Dino Saluzzi , Odetta and Danny Barker .
In August / September 2006 he was artistic director of the Century of Song festival as part of the RuhrTriennale . He invited songwriters and artists such as David Byrne, Holly Cole and Laurie Anderson.
Cohen has been teaching bass at the Berlin Jazz Institute since 2009 . He lives in Berlin.
- Way Low ( DIW , 1996)
- Moment to Moment (DIW, 1998)
- Golden State (Relative Pitch Records LLC, 2013)
With Kenny Davern and Ken Peplowski
- The Jazz KENnection ( Arbors Records )
With Dave Douglas
- Charms of the Night Sky
- Wolf Kampmann (Ed.), With the assistance of Ekkehard Jost : Reclams Jazzlexikon . Reclam, Stuttgart 2003, ISBN 3-15-010528-5 .
- Bielefeld catalog 1988 & 2002
- Richard Cook , Brian Morton : The Penguin Guide of Jazz on CD . 6th edition. Penguin, London 2002, ISBN 0-14-051521-6 .
- The super brain (portrait)
- Greg Cohen: A Guide Listening (English)
- Greg Cohen at Allmusic (English)
- Cohen in projects of John Zorn (English)
- Greg Cohen at Discogs (English)
- ^ The Library of Congress: LC Linked Data Service: Authorities and Vocabularies (Library of Congress). Retrieved September 13, 2017 .
- ^ Cohen, Greg (1953 -....): BnF Catalog général. Retrieved September 13, 2017 (French).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American jazz bassist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 13, 1953|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||los Angeles|