Helmut Gams (born September 25, 1893 in Brno , Moravia , † February 13, 1976 in Innsbruck ) was an Austrian botanist of Swiss origin . Its official botanical author's abbreviation is " Gams ".
Live and act
Helmut Gams studied at the University of Zurich , where he received his doctorate in 1918. phil. received his doctorate . Because of his extensive knowledge of plants, he was appointed to the Munich “Hegi-Redaktion”, where from 1920 to 1923 he worked as an assistant to Gustav Hegi at the University of Munich on his “ Illustrated Flora of Central Europe ” . He founded the "Biological Station Mooslachen" near Wasserburg on Lake Constance and was its director for many years. In 1929 he completed his habilitation at the University of Innsbruck , where he initially worked as a private lecturer , later as an associate professor , since 1949 as a full professor, and most recently since 1964 as professor emeritus until the end of his life. Since 1956 he was a member of the Leopoldina .
Gams mainly worked as a cryptogamist and founded the Small Cryptogam Flora , which he published until his death. In this series, he mainly worked on mosses , lichens and algae .
He was also a pioneer in the field of pollen analysis . Together with Volkmar Vareschi , he examined bogs , lakes and glacier ice and achieved groundbreaking results that were also used in medical palynology . As a result, a department for palynology was set up at the Botanical Institute of the University of Innsbruck.
In 1918 (see literature list) Gams introduced the term synusia to the science of plant communities ( phytozoenology ).
- 1918: Questions of principle in vegetation research: a contribution to the explanation of terms u. Methodology of biocoenology , dissertation.
- 1923: Postglacial climatic edema and earth crust movements in Central Europe . Together with Rolf Nordhagen and with a contribution by Carl Troll . 336 pp.
- 1927: From the Follatères to the Dent de Morcles. Vegetation monograph from the Valais . Bern. 760 pp.
- 1929: Remarques ultérieures sur l'histoire des Pinerais du Valais comparées à celle de l'Europe orientale . In: Bull. Murithienne 46: 76-96.
- 1929: The post-Arctic history of Lake Lüner in the Rätikon . Yearbook of the Kaiserlich-Königliche Geologische Reichsanstalt 79, pp. 531-570 online (PDF; 2.9 MB)
- 1931: Vorarlberg's flora . 76 pp.
- 1931: Plant world and preconditions for plant management . Together with Carl Troll .
- 1931: The advances in the study of the flora and vegetation of Tyrol in recent years . Reports of the Natural Science-Medical Association Innsbruck 42, pp. 185–194 online (PDF; 598 kB)
- 1931/32: The climatic limitation of plant areas and the distribution of hygric continentality in the Alps . In: Zeitschr. Ges. Geography Berlin 1931: 321–346, 1932: 52-68, 178–198.
- 1934: Second report on the progress made in researching the flora and vegetation of Tyrol (continuation of the report in year 42, 1931) . Reports of the natural science-medical association Innsbruck 43_44, p. 369–377 online (PDF; 690 kB)
- 1935: Seventh international botanical excursion . Austrian Botanical Journal = Plant Systematics and Evolution 84, pp. 225-227
- 1936: Lichen bark of the Alps
- 1936: Contributions to the plant-geographical map of Austria . Part I: The vegetation of the Großglockner area. In: Dep. Zool.-Bot. Ges. Vienna 16 (2): 1-79. Vienna. online (PDF; 62.9 MB)
- 1938: Over some lichen-rich dry grasslands in Central Germany . In: Hercynia, Abh. Bot. Ver. Middle German 1 (2). Hall.
- 1938: Third report on the progress made in the study of flora and vegetation in Tyrol. (Continuation of the reports in year 42, 1931, and 43/44, 1934) . Reports of the natural science-medical association Innsbruck 45_46, pp. 29–33 online (PDF; 470 kB)
- 1939: The main directions of today's organic community . In: Chronica Botanica 5 (2/3). Suffer.
- 1939: Carl Schröter and his vegetation school . In: The Biologist 8 (6). Munich.
- 1940: Small cryptogam flora of Central Europe Volume I: The moss and fern plants (Archegonia) . Small cryptogam flora of Central Europe 1, pp. 1–184
- 1943: The sea buckthorn ( Hippophae rhamnoides ) in the Alpine region . In: Beih. Bot. Centralbl. 62, Dept. B: 68-96.
- 1947: The Ibmer Moos. In: Yearbook of the Upper Austrian Museum Association. Volume 92, Linz 1947, pp. 289–338 ( PDF (6.5 MB) on ZOBODAT ).
- 1947: Nature and status of palynology . Microscopy - Central Sheet for Microscopic Research and Methodology 2, pp. 65–67 online (PDF; 389 kB)
- 1948: meetings . Austrian Botanical Journal = Plant Systematics and Evolution 94, pp. 295–299, with Lothar Geitler, K. Höfler
- 1948: The progress of alpine moor research from 1932 to 1946 . Austrian Botanical Journal = Plant Systematics and Evolution 94, pp. 235-264
- 1949: The Ibmer Moos. Additions and corrections. In: Yearbook of the Upper Austrian Museum Association. Volume 94, Linz 1949, pp. 259–260 ( PDF (307 kB) on ZOBODAT ).
- 1949: The founding of the international union for nature conservation . Natur und Land 1949_5, pp. 88–90
- 1949: desecration of nature - for whom? . Natur und Land 1949_8, pp. 145–147
- 1950: The IX. International plant geographical excursion through Ireland in July 1949 . Phyton, Annales Rei Botanicae, Horn 2_1-3, pp. 8-10 online (PDF; 917 kB)
- 1953: The biographical position of the Pasterzen landscape . Carinthia II 142_62, pp. 27–35 online (PDF; 823 kB)
- 1953: The afforestation and irrigation of the Southeast European, Near Eastern and Central Asian steppes and deserts . Natur und Land 1953_5-6, pp. 57–63
- 1953: Contributions to the knowledge of the arctic-alpine sagins . Phyton, Annales Rei Botanicae, Horn 5_1_2, pp. 107–117 online (PDF; 2.7 MB)
- 1954: New contributions to the vegetation and climatic history of the northern and central European interglacials . In: Experientia 10 (9): 357-396.
- 1960: Supplements to the flora and vegetation of Mount Olympus . Austrian Botanical Journal = Plant Systematics and Evolution 107, pp. 177–193
- 1964: The importance of the afromontane and afroalpine flora for the history of the Mediterranean-montane and alpine flora . Phyton, Annales Rei Botanicae, Horn 11_1_2, pp. 1–17 online (PDF; 4.9 MB)
- 1967: Lichen: (Lichenes) . 244 p. - (Small cryptogam flora - Volume 3)
- 1969: Macroscopic freshwater and air algae . 1969. - 63 p. (Small cryptogam flora: Volume 1, macroscopic algae)
- 1973: The moss and fern plants: (Archegoniaten) . 248 p. (Small cryptogam flora / Volume 4)
- 1974: Macroscopic seaweed . 119 p. (Small cryptogam flora: Volume 1, macroscopic algae)
- 1974: On the problem of clan and cenosis areas . Phyton, Annales Rei Botanicae, Horn 16_1_4, pp. 65–74 online (PDF; 2.6 MB)
- Maximilian Steiner: Helmut Gams , in: Decheniana , Negotiations of the Natural History Association of the Rhineland and Westphalia , Volume 130 (April 1977), p. 16 ff., No ISBN.
- Literature by and about Helmut Gams in the catalog of the German National Library
- Author entry and list of the plant names described for Helmut Gams at the IPNI
- ↑ a b Maximilian Steiner: Helmut Gams , in: Decheniana , Negotiations of the Natural History Association of the Rhineland and Westphalia , Volume 130 (April 1977), p. 21
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian botanist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 25, 1893|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Brno|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 13, 1976|
|Place of death||innsbruck|