Joachim Wächter (born April 30, 1926 in Magdeburg ; † October 7, 2017 in Greifswald ) was a German archivist and historian . His main focus was on the history of Pomerania .
Joachim Wächter grew up in Magdeburg. After serving in the Reich Labor Service and military service, he was able to make up his Abitur and attended a course for people's teachers. From 1946 to 1949 he studied pedagogy, history and geography in Halle . From 1950 to 1951 he studied at the Institute for Archive Science in Potsdam and graduated with the state examination for scientific archive service. From 1951 to 1953 he worked at the Mecklenburg State Main Archive in Schwerin .
In 1953 he became head of the Greifswald State Archives . With that, Wächter's activity for Pomeranian archives and Pomeranian historical research began. He was one of the initiators of the Greifswald-Stralsund yearbook , which was intended to serve scientific, not ideologically determined, regional historical research.
In 1969 the socialist state withdrew the management of the Greifswald State Archives from him for political reasons. Wächter stayed there until 1974 as head of department and then switched to the service of the Evangelical Church in Greifswald . There he became a consultant for church archives and libraries and headed the regional church archive .
After the fall of the Wall, in 1991 he went to the Ministry of Culture of the re-established state of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania as head of department for archives and libraries . In 1993 he retired.
Wächter was active in the Working Group for Pomeranian Church History since 1971. After the fall of the Wall, he was one of those who pushed the return of the Society for Pomeranian History, Archeology and Art to Western Pomerania. In July 1990 a decision was made to found a Western Pomerania department; Wächter became head of this department and built it up into the largest and most active department in society. On January 1, 2008, he handed over the management of the department to Joachim Krüger . Also in 1990 Wächter was appointed to the board of the Historical Commission for Pomerania , of which he was a member until 2009.
Wächter was a member of the citizenship of the Hanseatic City of Greifswald from 1990 to 1994 .
His brother worked as an archivist at the State Main Archives in Magdeburg.
- Festschrift for the 700th anniversary of the Greifswald churches. Evangelical Publishing House, Berlin 1980.
- On the history of the settlement of the middle Peene area . In: Contributions to the history of Western Pomerania. The Demminer Colloquia 1985–1994 . Thomas Helms Verlag Schwerin 1997, ISBN 3-931185-11-7 .
- The Principality of Rügen - An Overview . In: Contributions to the history of Western Pomerania: the Demmin Colloquia 1985–1994 . Thomas Helms Verlag Schwerin 1997, ISBN 3-931185-11-7 .
- Boundaries and administrative areas of Swedish Western Pomerania 1806 and their further development . In: Ivo Asmus (Ed.): Geographical and historical contributions to regional studies in Pomerania. Eginhard Wegner on his 80th birthday. Thomas Helms Verlag Schwerin 1998, ISBN 3-931185-48-6 , pp. 281-287.
- Changes in the administrative areas of Western Pomerania since 1945 . In: Bert Becker, Kyra T. Inachin (eds.): Pommern between caesura and continuity: 1918, 1933, 1945, 1989 Thomas Helms Verlag Schwerin 1999, ISBN 3-931185-50-8 , pp. 269-281.
- The development of the Pomeranian Provincial Archives in Szczecin in connection with the Society for Pomeranian History and Archeology. In: Baltic Studies . Volume 86 NF (2000), ISSN 0067-3099 , pp. 33-41.
- 750 years ago. Lübisches town charter for Barth; a walk through history. In: Pomerania. Journal for Culture and History , Volume 43 (2005), Issue 3, ISSN 0032-4167 , pp. 2–13.
- Wolgast in the Middle Ages. First Wendish center, then German city . In: Pomerania. Journal for Culture and History , Volume 45 (2007), Issue 4, ISSN 0032-4167 , pp. 18-23.
- On the history of the church administration and structure of Rügen. In: Baltic Studies. Volume 95 NF, 2009, ISSN 0067-3099 , pp. 35-42.
- as editor: An overview of the history of Pomerania . Sardellus-Verlagsgesellschaft, Greifswald 2014, ISBN 978-3-9813402-4-2 .
- Publications by Joachim Wächter, In: Baltic Studies NF 101 (2015), pp. 11–14.
- 1995: Pomeranian Culture Prize for Science
- 1999: Honorary member of the Society for Pomeranian History, Archeology and Art
- Roderich Schmidt : Joachim Wächter on his 75th birthday. In: Henning Rischer , Martin Schoebel (Hrsg.): Constitution and administration of Pomerania in modern times. Lectures at the 19th Demmin Colloquium on the occasion of Joachim Wächter's 75th birthday on May 12, 2001. Edition Temmen, Bremen 2004, ISBN 3-86108-044-3 , pp. 9–12.
- Roderich Schmidt: Joachim Wächter on his 80th birthday. In: Baltic Studies NF 92 (2006), ISSN 0067-3099 , pp. 7–8.
- Michael Hammermeister: It should be all of Pomerania. For Joachim Wächter's 90th birthday on April 30th . In: The Pommersche Zeitung . Volume 17/2016, pp. 1–2, 7 fig.
- Michael Hammermeister: On the death of Joachim Wächter . In: The Pommersche Zeitung. Volume 67, episode 41 of October 14, 2017, p. 2, 2 fig.
- Henning Rischer : Joachim Wächter, Pommer from Magdeburg - A personal encounter, In: Baltic Studies NF 101 (2015), pp. 9-10.
- Literature by and about Joachim Wächter in the catalog of the German National Library
- Literature about Joachim Wächter in the state bibliography MV
- ^ Hermann Schreyer : The state archives of the GDR , Droste Verlag, Düsseldorf 2008, p. 169f.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German archivist and historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 30, 1926|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Magdeburg|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 7, 2017|
|Place of death||Greifswald|