Johann Woldemar Streubel
Johann Woldemar Streubel was the son of a district hunter. After the early death of his father, his mother moved to the road near Freiberg . From Easter 1842 he attended the trade school in Chemnitz . In 1845 he was accepted into the military training institute of the Saxon Army in Dresden . After completing his training, he was appointed a gunner in Dresden , a non-commissioned officer in 1847 and an officer on July 28, 1850. In 1851 he was transferred to the " Artillery with the United Pioneers ". In 1854 he anonymously published his first book "Russia historically and strategically illuminated by a German officer", which dealt with the subject of the Crimean War . The military writer Karl Eduard Pönitz assessed his first work unfavorably.
His second publication: "The twelve-pound grenade cannon and its relationship to the tactics of modern times" was objected to by the Austrian government. In 1858 Streubel retired from active service. His next two writings deal with the Italian War of 1859. In July 1860, he took over the editing of the “Military Weekly Journal for the German Armed Forces ”. To do this, he moved to Frankfurt am Main . The magazine was received in December 1863. On July 18, the city was occupied by the Prussian Rhine Army and made heavy contributions . On October 2nd, Prussia annexed the city. For Streubel, who was an opponent of Prussia, a reason to leave the city and settle in Heidelberg . His book "The connection of southern Germany to the states of Prussian hegemony, its certain downfall in a Franco-Prussian war" prompted numerous counter-writings. When Streubel fell ill, he spent his last time in the Illenau insane asylum. He died there on December 25, 1873.
His biographer Bernhard von Poten , because of his own sympathy for Prussia, comes to a somewhat unjust assessment: “Streubel's mistakes and errors were rooted in his character, not in a lack of understanding; his overconfidence and stubbornness prevented him from fully appreciating the views and opinions of his opponents. The advantage that science has had from his writings has been that he has a stimulating effect and provokes refutation. "
- anonymous: Russia historically and strategically illustrated by a German officer . Remmelmann, Leipzig 1854.
- W. Streubel: France's military weakness against Germany . Especially reprinted from the German quarterly publication . Cotta, Stuttgart 1859. MDZ Reader
- The forces militaires de la France comparées à celles de lÀllmagne . Bruxelles 1859.
- Woldemar Streubel: The 12-pound grenade cannon and its relationship to the tactics of modern times . Hugo Meuth, Kaiserslautern, Leipzig 1857. Digitized
- W. Streubel: About the lack of ingenious generals in the present . R. Kuntze, Dresden 1860. Digitized
- Military weekly for the German Armed Forces Eduard Zernin, Frankfurt am Main 1860–1863.
- anonymous: The rifled guns. Critical examination of their advantages and disadvantages. For officers of all weapons from a German artillery officer. Special reprint from the military weekly paper for the German armed forces . Eduard Zernin, Darmstadt 1861.
- The ironclad, a nautical and artillery step backwards . Eduard Zernin, Darmstadt 1861. Digitized
- anonymous: Much enemy, "Much honor": a look at the military situation in Germany and the results of the Würzburg conference. From the author of the military reflections on some experiences of the last campaign . Eduard Zernin, Darmstadt 1861. MDZ Reader
- W. Streubel: Politico-military considerations on the military convention concluded between Prussia and Saxe-Coburg-Gotha . In: German quarterly font . 1862. issue. 2, p. 157 ff. MDZ Reader
- Woldemar Streubel: German fleet and German coastal fortifications . From: German quarterly font . 1863. Issue. 2, pp. 99-145. German quarterly font digitized
- Arkolay: The tactics of modern times from the point of view of the century and science with special regard to the deterioration of today's field artillery and to their behavior in the campaign of 1866 . Appeal to all thinkers in the armies . Eduard Zernin, Darmstadt 1868. MDZ Reader
- anonymous: The annexation of southern Germany to the states of the Prussian hegemony, its certain demise in a Franco-Prussian war. Warning to all patriots. Presented for scientific reasons by a German officer. Verlag-Magazin, Zurich 1869 digitized
- anonymous: The annexation of southern Germany to the states of the Prussian hegemony, its certain demise in a Franco-Prussian war. Warning to all patriots. Presented for scientific reasons by a German officer. 4., reworked. u. essential Probably the publisher's magazine, Zurich 1869
- L'Allemagne du Sud sous l'hégémonie prussienne, sa perte certaine en cas de guerre entre la France et la Prusse par un officier allemand . 4e édition traduite de l'allemand avec l'autorisation de l'éditeur. J. Dumaine, Paris 1869.
- Arkolay: Mysteries of Artillery. Critical-didactic-historical. Analysis of the grape shot of smooth pipes as the basis of the three-weapon tactic […]: for officers of all weapons . Eduard Darmstadt, Leipzig 1870. MDZ Reader
- Arkolay: Germanism and Austria. Austria and Hungary. A torch for the peoples' dispute . Eduard Zernin, Darmstadt, Leipzig 1870. Digitized
- Arkolay: lie and science. News about Attem. For officers of all weapons, especially those of the infantry and cavalry. (Also a supplement to the author's earlier writings) . Heinrich Keller, Frankfurt a. M. 1872. MDZ Reader
- Which Arkolay does not consider. Military-political refutation of Arkolay's latest work: (The annexation of southern Germany to the states of Prussian hegemony, its certain downfall in a Franco-Prussian war. Zurich. Verlag-Magazin) by a north German officer z. D . C. Hübscher‛sche Buchhandlung, Schleiz 1869. MDZ Reader
- HG Th .: Anti-Arkolay. Critical study of the combat effect and combat activity of today's field artillery. For officers of all weapons . Krick in Comm., Ulm 1869. MDZ Reader
- An answer to the “Considerations on Bavaria's Foreign Policy” and to Arcolay's diatribe about a Bavarian . Wuerzburg 1869.
- Response to an un-German warning from a German officer . 2nd impression. Kaiser, Munich 1869. Digitized
- Arkolay's brochure reviewed by a South German officer. The downfall of southern Germany strategically proven irrefutable by Arkolay. Discussed by a Prussian officer. Verlag der Expedition der Militärischen Blätter, Berlin 1869. April issue. MDZ reader
- ( Albert von Suckow ): Where does southern Germany find protection for its existence? A word to the southern Germans . Karl Aue, Stuttgart 1869. MDZ Reader
- The crossing of the Main line. Reply to the Arkolay brochure. From a German patriot. Otto Wigand, Leipzig 1869. MDZ Reader
- Felix: Arkolay's appeal to the thinkers in the armies. Contributions to a counter appeal . W. Seidel & Sohn, Vienna 1869. MDZ Reader
- Arkolai and the artillery or the rifled artillery in the field. A word of clarification from a German artillery officer. (WB) . Stahel, Würzburg 1870. MDZ Reader
- Arkolay . In: Bernhard von Poten (Ed.): Concise dictionary of the entire military sciences . First volume. Velhagen & Klasing, Bielefeld 1877, pp. 217-218. Digitized
- Constantin von Wurzbach : Streubel, Woldemar . In: Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich . 40th part. Imperial-Royal Court and State Printing Office, Vienna 1880, p. 41 f. ( Digitized version ).
- Gustav Zernin: Woldemar Streubel . In: Organ of the Military Science Associations , Volume 26. 1883, pp. 207 ff.
- Bernhard von Poten: Streubel, Johann Woldemar . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 36, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1893, pp. 576-578.
- The "name" Arkolay "known, which he had added to himself, deriving the same name for artillery, which was written from the medieval, more correctly Arkeley " (ADB)
- Finding aid 101 trade school
- Quoted in the newspaper article by Karl Marx / Friedrich Engels : "Progress of the War", which appeared in the New York Daily Tribune No. 4276 of January 1, 1855. ( Marx-Engels-Gesamtausgabe . Department I. Volume 13, Dietz Verlag, Berlin 1985, here p. 566. Marx-Engels-Werke . Volume 10, pp. 576-582. Digitized version )
- "The military weakness of France against Germany" and "On the lack of genius generals in the present".
- In the possession of Friedrich Engels. Marx-Engels Complete Edition . Department IV. Volume 32. Akademie Verlag, Berlin 1999, ISBN 3-05-003440-8 , p. 627 No. 1288.
- In the possession of Friedrich Engels. Marx-Engels Complete Edition . Department IV. Volume 32. Akademie Verlag, Berlin 1999, ISBN 3-05-003440-8 , p. 627 No. 1287.
- Contemporary review of the military newspaper . 1857.
- German publisher and military writer (1830–1914)
- In the possession of Friedrich Engels. Marx-Engels Complete Edition . Department IV. Volume 32. Akademie Verlag, Berlin 1999, ISBN 3-05-003440-8 , p. 627 No. 1286.
|SURNAME||Streubel, Johann Woldemar|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Streubel, Johann Woldemar; Arkolay (pseudonym)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Saxon officer and military writer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 18, 1827|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Börnichen|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 25, 1873|
|Place of death||Illenau|