Juliane Kokott (born June 18, 1957 in Frankfurt am Main ) is a German lawyer . She is Advocate General at the Court of Justice of the European Union (ECJ) and Associate Professor at the University of St. Gallen .
Juliane Kokott spent her childhood in Saarland and studied law in Bonn and Geneva . She then obtained the academic degree of LL.M. during a study visit to the USA as a Fulbright scholar. at the American University , Washington DC In parallel, she was assistant to Thomas Buergenthal , judge at the International Court of Justice; formerly President of the Inter-American Court of Human Rights. She completed her legal clerkship at the Heidelberg Regional Court with a position at the Federal Constitutional Court in Karlsruhe and a parallel job at the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law . This was followed by a doctorate to Dr. iur. utr. at the University of Heidelberg with the dissertation on "The Inter-American System for the Protection of Human Rights". Kokott also obtained a diploma from the Académie Internationale de Droit Constitutionnel in Tunis . As a recipient of the Otto Hahn Medal of the Max Planck Society for Young Scientists, she carried out another study visit to the USA and received her doctorate from Harvard Law School as a Doctor of Juridical Sciences (SJD).
After her habilitation with license to teach German and foreign public law , international law and European law at the University of Heidelberg, she taught at the University of Mannheim , the University of Augsburg and the University of Düsseldorf . From the beginning of 2000 until her election to the European Court of Justice, she headed the Institute for European Law, International Law and International Business Law at the University of St. Gallen and held the corresponding chair .
On October 7, 2003, Juliane Kokott took over from Siegbert Alber as the third woman in the history of the European Court of Justice as Advocate General at the suggestion of the German Federal Government . In 2009 and 2015 she was confirmed in office for a further 6 years. She processes around forty cases a year and laid the foundations for some fundamental decisions by the European Court of Justice. For example, she delivered an Opinion in the procedure on different insurance tariffs for men and women.
In addition, she is committed to the German and European legal training and international understanding in the advisory board of ELSA-Germany eV
Kokott is married and has six children.
- Juliane Kokott: Art. 4, 12a, 16, 17a, 87a, 87b, and 116 , in: Sachs (Ed.): Basic Law Comment , 1. – 7. Edition, Munich: CH Beck 1996, 1999, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2014 ISBN 978-3-406-49233-4 .
- Juliane Kokott et al .: Basic features of international law , 3rd edition, Heidelberg: UTB 2003, ISBN 978-3-825-21511-8 .
- Juliane Kokott: Art. 281, 282, 296-299, 301-307, 311-314 EGV , in: Streinz (Ed.), EUV / EGV - Treaty on European Union and Treaty establishing the European Community - Commentary , Munich : CH Beck 2003, ISBN 978-3-406-48457-5 .
- Juliane Kokott / Hartmut Graßl et al .: World in Transition: Energy Turnaround towards Sustainability - Scientific Advisory Council of the Federal Government on Global Change (WBGU) . 2003.
- Juliane Kokott et al .: Principles of International Law , 1. – 3. Edition, Heidelberg: CF Müller Verlag 1988, 2000, 2003, ISBN 978-3-825-21511-8 .
- Juliane Kokott: The principle of equality and prohibitions of discrimination in the case law of the Federal Constitutional Court , in: Badura / Dreier (ed.), Festschrift 50 Years of the Federal Constitutional Court , Vol. 2: Clarification and advanced training of constitutional law , Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck 2001, pp. 127–162.
- Juliane Kokott: Distribution of the burden of proof and prognostic decisions when claiming fundamental rights and international human rights , contributions to foreign public law and international law, vol. 110, 445 p., Berlin / Heidelberg / New York / u. a .: Springer Verlag 1993, ISBN 3-540-56762-3 .
- Juliane Kokott: The Inter-American System for the Protection of Human Rights - The Inter-American System for the Protection of Human Rights , Contributions to Foreign Public Law and International Law, Vol. 92, 166 S., Berlin / Heidelberg / New York: Springer Verlag 1986, ISBN 3-540-17092-8 .
- Website by Juliane Kokott
- Members of the European Court of Justice
- Anke Dürr. Children and Careers: How Much Fits in a Life? (Portrait of Kokotts), Spiegel Online from April 9, 2006
- Juliane Kokott: Europe's lawyer , Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung of October 21, 2006
- Literature by and about Juliane Kokott in the catalog of the German National Library
- People: The top lawyer - and mother of six. Retrieved March 30, 2020 .
- Reinhard Müller / Corinna Budras, European judges: United against Discrimination , Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung of March 3, 2011.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German lawyer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 18, 1957|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Frankfurt am Main|