Leopold Schmidt (folklorist)
Leopold Schmidt studied from 1930 German , economics and ethnology , classical philology , art history , history and prehistory and early history at the University of Vienna and received his doctorate in 1934 with the dissertation studies on the shape history of German Christmas games . Between 1936 and 1938 he helped Rudolf Kriss cataloging and describing his collection of religious folklore in Vienna. In the years of the Second World War he did his military service . From 1946 he taught as a private lecturer , from 1958 as an associate professor at the University of Vienna. From 1946 he also worked as a contract employee at the Austrian Museum of Folklore in Vienna, became an assistant in 1949, its director in 1955 and director from 1960 to 1977. In 1954 and 1955 he was also the acting co-administrator of the Museum of Ethnology . From 1956 to 1981 he was first general secretary, then president of the Association for Folklore in Vienna.
Leopold Schmidt was an honorary member of the Greek Folklore Society (since 1957), a corresponding (since 1967) or member (since 1970) of the Austrian Academy of Sciences , a foreign member of the Royal Gustav Adolfs Academy in Uppsala (since 1972) and a corresponding member of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences (since 1977).
- 1965: Science Prize of the State of Lower Austria
- 1959: Brothers Grimm Prize from the Philipps University of Marburg
- 1978: Wilhelm Hartel Prize
- German Carnival. Vienna 1937 (= German festivals of old style and new spirit , vol. 1).
- Form problems of the German Christmas games. Emsdetten 1937 (= The Schaubühne , vol. 20).
- Viennese folklore. An outline. Published by the Association for Folklore in Vienna. Vienna u. a. 1940 (= Wiener Zeitschrift für Volkskunde , Erg. Vol. 16).
- Between the bastion and the line wall. Wiener Verlag 1946 (in the feuilletons series from the Viennese suburbs between the Baroque and the First World War ).
- Barbara and Lucia wheat. The spread of the Christmas plate seeds in Burgenland . In: Leopold Schmidt (ed.): Culture and people. Contributions to folklore from Austria, Bavaria and Switzerland. Festschrift for Gustav Gugitz on his 80th birthday (= publications of the Austrian Museum of Folklore; 5). Self-published by the Austrian Museum of Folklore, Vienna 1954, pp. 387–418.
- St. John's devotions and Nepomuc songs in Lower Austria and in Burgental. In: Yearbook of the Austrian Folk Song Works. Volume 9, Vienna 1960, pp. 20-39.
- Popular belief and custom. Shapes, structures, gestures. Berlin 1966.
- The art of the nameless. Verlag Das Bergland-Buch, Salzburg / Stuttgart 1968.
- Klaus Beitl : Schmidt, Leopold. In: Encyclopedia of Fairy Tales , Vol. 12: Flaying - Sublimation . De Gruyter, Berlin 2007, ISBN 978-3-11-019936-9 , Sp. 100-105.
- Elfriede Moser-Rath : Leopold Schmidt (1912–1981) . In: Fabula. Zeitschrift für Erzählforschung , , Jg. 23 (1982), pp. 296-303.
- Lutz Röhrich : Encounters. Memories of my colleagues and friends . Waxmann Verlag, Münster 2016, ISBN 978-3-8309-3509-4 , pp. 100-103: Leopold Schmidt (1912-1981) .
- Literature by and about Leopold Schmidt in the catalog of the German National Library
- Biography at www.sagen.at
- Elfriede Moser-Rath: Leopold Schmidt (1912–1981) . In: Fabula , Vol. 23 (1982), pp. 296-303, here p. 296.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian folklorist, cultural scientist and storyteller|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 15, 1912|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 12, 1981|
|Place of death||Vienna|