Mangifera sylvatica , illustration
They probably originate from the Indonesian island of Borneo , from where they spread over large areas of Asia, including India , Burma , Sri Lanka , Thailand , southern China , Malaysia , Indonesia , Papua New Guinea and the Philippines , as well as on some Pacific islands to have. They are also found in Australia . Some species are also found in Central America through human planting . They thrive mainly in the tropical lowland rainforest . The most economically important species is the mango from Pakistan and India ( Mangifera indica ). Very little is currently known about many of the other species, but they must be considered endangered due to the ongoing destruction of forests through clearing .
Mangifera species are trees . The leaves are simple. Many flowers are grouped together in terminal paniculate inflorescences . The small flowers have a double perianth . The sepals fall off early. There are at least four petals available. There are as many stamens as there are petals, but only one is fertile . Large stone fruits are formed.
The genus was first named by Carl von Linné in 1753 . There are around 40 to 69 types of mango, the most commonly cultivated species is the mango ( Mangifera indica ). Sometimes a distinction is made between two subgenera Mangifera and Limus .
The following types belong here (selection):
- Mangifera altissima Blanco : It occurs on Celebes , Luzon and Mindoro .
- Mangifera caesia Jack ex Wallich (Syn .: Mangifera verticillata C.B.Rob. ): It is native to Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei and Papua New Guinea and is also cultivated in Thailand and the Philippines.
- Mangifera camptosperma Pierre : It was described from Indochina.
- Mangifera casturi Kosterm. : It occurs in culture in Kalimantan .
- Smelly Mango ( Mangifera foetida Lour. )
- Mango ( Mangifera indica L. , Syn .: Mangifera domestica Gaertn. , Mangifera siamensis Warbg. Ex Craib )
- Mangifera kemanga flower
- Mangifera laurina flower (Syn .: Mangifera longipes handle. ): It is native to Indonesia, Malaysia and the Philippines and is cultivated in Cambodia.
- Mangifera macrocarpa flower : It occurs in Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia.
- Mangifera magnifica Kochummen : It is native to Malaysia.
- Fragrant mango ( Mangifera odorata handle. )
- Mangifera pajang Kosterm. : It occurs in Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei.
- Mangifera pentandra Hook.f. : It is originally found in Malaysia and Singapore.
- Mangifera persiciforma C.Y.Wu et TLMing : It occurs in China.
- Mangifera sylvatica Roxb. : It occurs in India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Myanmar and Thailand.
- Mangifera in the Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN), USDA , ARS , National Genetic Resources Program. National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. Retrieved June 7, 2017.