Manuel Cardinal Arteaga y Betancourt (born December 28, 1879 in Camagüey , Cuba , † March 20, 1963 in Havana ) was Archbishop of Havana .
Manuel Arteaga studied in Caracas and Lima trays Catholic theology and philosophy . It was 1902 deacon and on 17 April 1904 by the Koadjutorerzbischof of Caracas , Juan Bautista Castro , the ordained priest . He then worked as a pastor in Cumaná , Venezuela , until 1912 . From 1912 to 1915 he worked as a parish priest in Camagüey, Cuba. From 1915 to 1941 he headed the administration of the Archdiocese of Havana as vicar general .
On December 26, 1941, Pope Pius XII appointed him . to the Archbishop of Havana. The Apostolic Nuncio in Cuba, Archbishop Jorge José Caruana , donated him episcopal ordination on February 24 of the following year. Co- consecrators were the Archbishop of Santiago de Cuba , Valentín Zubizarreta y Unamunsaga , and the Bishop of Cienfuegos , Eduardo Pedro Martínez y Dalmau CP .
On February 18, 1946, Pope Pius XII took him. as a cardinal priest with the titular church of San Lorenzo in Lucina in the college of cardinals . He took part in the 1958 conclave , in which Pope John XXIII. was chosen.
After Fidel Castro came to power , Cardinal Arteaga was persecuted politically. In 1961 and 1962 he sought asylum in the Argentine embassy. He died on March 20, 1963 and was buried in Havana.
Manuel Arteaga was Grand Prior of the Cuban Lieutenancy of the Order of the Knights of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem .
- Fernando Gaínza González: El Cardenal Arteaga. Havana 1949
- Raúl Del Valle: El Cardenal Arteaga: Resplandores de la púrpura cubana. Havana 1954.
- Arteaga y Betancourt, Manuel. In: Salvador Miranda : The Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church. ( Florida International University website), accessed March 20, 2017.
- Salvador Miranda : Arteaga Betancourt, Manuel. In: Episcopologio de la Iglesia Católica en Cuba. fiu.edu , Florida International University website (Spanish).
- Entry on Manuel Arteaga on catholic-hierarchy.org ; accessed on March 20, 2017.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Arteaga y Betancourt, Manuel Cardinal|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Cuban clergyman, Archbishop of Havana and Cardinal|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 28, 1879|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Camaguey , Cuba|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 20, 1963|
|Place of death||Havana|