Live and act
Dresser graduated from the University of California, San Diego , where he studied double bass with Bertram Turetzky and then with Franco Petracchi . During his training he played with musicians such as David Murray and Arthur Blythe . Mark Dresser has worked in solo projects as well as in various ensembles on the New York jazz scene since 1972 . For ten years he played in the quartet of Anthony Braxton and in numerous other formations, such as Don Cherry , Ray Anderson , Tim Berne , Anthony Davis , Gerry Hemingway ( Demon Chaser 1993) and John Zorn . His own projects were the formation “Force Green” (with Dave Douglas ) and the Mark Dresser Trio , with whom he recorded music for the surrealist Luis Buñuel - Salvador Dalí film Un chien andalou . In 1993 he also played a soundtrack album for the early expressionist silent film classic, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari a. Dresser also worked with the Arcado String Trio and the "Double Trio" formed from this and the Trio du Clarinettes .
For the Paris Banliues Bleues Festival he played his composition Bosnia , which later from the "Double Trio", entitled Green Dolphy Street at Enja appeared. With the Arcado String Trio and the WDR Big Band he recorded his composition For Not the Law in 1991 (published by JMT under the title For Three Strings and Orchestra ). In 1992, Mark Dresser composed and played the title Armadillo , recorded with the Arcado String Trio and the WDR Big Band Cologne . In 1995 the composition The Banquet followed , a double concerto for various flutes and double bass with string quartet and the Swiss flautist Matthias Ziegler , who commissioned the work. The 1995 album Invocation (released on the Knitting Factory Works label) contains a longer bass solo by Dresser.
In later years he played with Eric Watson , Ed Thigpen and Bennie Wallace in the Full Metal Quartet ; He also worked on various projects with musicians such as Andrew Cyrille / Marty Ehrlich , Gerry Hemingway , Susie Ibarra , Ray Anderson , Roswell Rudd , Mat Maneri , Amir ElSaffar , Achim Kaufmann / Harris Eisenstadt , Jane Ira Bloom and Vinny Golia .
Dresser has playing techniques such as the double glissando , hammering with the left hand, which lets the string section above the worn point sound, and bowing sul ponticello , i.e. H. In a bow position rich in overtones close to the bridge , “considerably refined and made calculable from a compositional point of view.” In combination with the correspondingly sensitive electrical amplification , according to Martin Kunzler , “a multiphonic concept based on the isolation or contouring and combination of overtones.” he tried "the traditional role of the double bass, timekeeping and harmonic foundation the greatest possible sound" to combine with the play of avant-garde - "with markings that sometimes in modern translated Mingus remember or walking -Abschnitten with drivendem focus just before the Time and adventurous drops . "
- 1993 - The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari ( Knitting Factory )
- 1994 - Force Green (Knitting Factory, contains the composition Bosnis )
- 1995 - Invocation (Knitting Factory)
- 1997 - Banquet ( Tzadik )
- 1997 - Eye'll Be Seeing You (Knitting Factory)
- 1999 - with Frances-Marie Uitti Sonomondo ( Cryptogramophone Records )
- 2000 - marinade ( Tzadik )
- 2000 - Andrew Cyrille / Mark Dresser / Marty Ehrlich: C / D / E
- 2001 - Reunion: Live at the Guelph Jazz Festival (Intrepid Ear) with Gerry Hemingway
- 2001 - Duologues (Intrepid Ear)
- 2001 - Aquifer (Cryptogramophone) with Matthias Ziegler
- 2003 - Susie Ibarra & Mark Dresser - Tone Time (Wobbly Rail)
- 2003 - Mark Dresser & Ray Anderson - Nine Songs Together ( CIMP )
- 2005 - Mark Dresser / Denman Maroney - Time Changes (Cryptogramophone)
- 2005 - Unveil ( Clean Feed Records )
- 2005 - Roswell Rudd & Mark Dresser - Airwalker (Clean Feed)
- 2006 - Roswell Rudd / Mark Dresser - Airwalkers (Clean Feed)
- 2006 - Russ Lossing / Mat Maneri / Mark Dresser - Metal Rat (Clean Feed)
- 2008 - Mark Dresser / Ed Harkins / Steven Schick - House of Mirrors (Clean Feed)
- 2009 - Mark Dresser & Denman Maroney - Live in Concert (Kadima Collective)
- 2010 - Achim Kaufmann / Marc Dresser / Harris Eisenstadt - Starmelodics (Nuscope Recordings)
- 2010 - Vinny Golia, Mark Dresser - Live at Lotus (Kadima Collective)
- 2011 - Bobby Bradford / Mark Dresser / Glenn Ferris - Live in LA (Clean Feed)
- 2011 - Jen Shyu / Mark Dresser - Synastry ( Pi Recordings )
- 2012 - Michael Dessen / Rudresh Mahanthappa / Denman Maroney / Mark Dresser / Tom Rainey - Nourishments (Clean Feed)
- 2016 - Bobby Bradford / Hafez Modirzadeh / Mark Dresser / Alex Cline: Live at the Open Gate ( NoBusiness Records )
- 2017 - Sedimental You (Clean Feed)
- 2017 - Modicana (NoBusiness)
- 2019 - Mark Dresser Seven - Ain't Nothing But a Cyber Coup & You
- Richard Cook , Brian Morton : The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD . 6th edition. Penguin, London 2002, ISBN 0-14-051521-6 .
- Martin Kunzler : Jazz Lexicon. Volume 1: A – L (= rororo-Sachbuch. Vol. 16512). Rowohlt, Reinbek bei Hamburg 2002, ISBN 3-499-16512-0 .
- Website Mark Dresser
- Mark Dresser on Myspace
- Mark Dresser at Discogs (English)
- Mark Dresser at Allmusic (English)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American jazz musician and composer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 26, 1952|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||los Angeles|