1793 he put in the Benedictine monastery Weißenohe (Bavaria) the profession from, in 1795 he received the ordination and from 1800 he worked as a monastery librarian. Versatile literary, musically and artistically gifted, he developed into one of the leading figures of the faction of the Enlightenment in his convent. In 1802 - shortly before the abolition of the monastery and in order to promote its abolition - he went to Munich , where the Royal Court Library employed him. In 1806 he became curator there and in 1823 sub-librarian. In 1839 he was - while retaining his position as librarian - canon at the Munich Abbey of St. Kajetan .
Schrettinger, together with Friedrich Adolf Ebert, is considered to be the founder of modern library science and was also the first to use this term. He was committed to a list of the library holdings according to subject groups and subdivisions and demanded that the holdings be indexed using an alphabetical author catalog and a location catalog . His " real catalog ", which he began in 1819 and was organized according to keywords , which even modern librarians sometimes still consult, remained unfinished.
- Attempt a complete textbook of library science or a perfect librarian guide . Volume 1 (Issue 1-3): 1808-1810; Volume 2 (Issue 4): 1829.
- Library Science Handbook . Vienna 1834. Reprint Weidmann, Hildesheim 2003. ISBN 3-615-00277-6
- Schrettinger's diary for the years 1793-1850 and a handwritten autobiography are in the possession of the Bavarian State Library in Munich . Partial edition of the years of the diary relating to the Weißenohe monastery in: Josef Pöppel: Weißenohe. On the history of the monastery and parish . Norderstedt 2013, pp. 289-445. ISBN 978-3-7322-3580-3 .
- Philip Dormer Stanhope of Chesterfield : The Art of Living Happily Among People . From d. Franz. Transl. by Wilibald Schrettinger. Seidel, Munich, 1802.
- Uwe Jochum: Libraries and Librarians 1800-1900 . Königshausen and Neumann, Würzburg 1991. ISBN 3-88479-599-6 .
- Annemarie Kaindl: Martin Schrettinger on the construction and organization of the royal court and central library . In: Bibliotheksforum Bayern , Vol. 14, 2020, Issue 1, pp. 25–29 ( digitized version ).
- Stephan Kellner: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 23, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 2007, ISBN 978-3-428-11204-3 , p. 545 f. ( ). In:
- Manfred Knedlik: Schrettinger, Martin. In: Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL). Volume 32, Bautz, Nordhausen 2011, ISBN 978-3-88309-615-5 , Sp. 1234-1239.
- Alois Schmid : Martin Schrettinger from Neumarkt in the Upper Palatinate. In: Annual report of the historical association for Neumarkt id Opf. And surroundings 22, 1999, pp. 139–162.
- Literature by and about Martin Schrettinger in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Martin Schrettinger in the German Digital Library
- Martin Schrettinger's estate in the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Schrettinger, Martin Willibald (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German priest and librarian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 17, 1772|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Neumarkt in the Upper Palatinate|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 12, 1851|
|Place of death||Munich|