Pierre Matisse, the younger son of the painter Henri Matisse , wanted to emulate his father and become a painter; he already had an exhibition in the Salon des Indépendants . In 1923, however, he made the decision to become an art dealer and took a position at the famous Barbazanges -Hodebert gallery in Paris. A year later he left Paris and moved to New York, where he founded a gallery for mainly European modern art in Manhattan in 1931 , which he ran until his death. The Pierre Matisse Gallery was located in the Fuller Building (now the Flatiron Building ) at 41 East 57th Street. Matisse represented Joan Miró , Balthus , Alberto Giacometti and Jean Dubuffet in the USA for decades .
From March 3 to March 28, 1942, the exhibition "Artists in Exile" took place in the Pierre Matisse Gallery. 14 artists were represented with one work each: Roberto Matta , Ossip Zadkine , Yves Tanguy , Max Ernst , Marc Chagall , Fernand Léger , André Breton , Piet Mondrian , André Masson , Amédée Ozenfant , Jacques Lipchitz , Pavel Tchelitchev , Kurt Seligmann and Eugene Berman .
Between 1931 and 1989, Pierre Matisse organized hundreds of exhibitions. In 1945 he exhibited Miró's Constellations for the first time . In 1948 the first retrospective of Giacometti's sculptures took place in his gallery and a year later he showed the late works of his father Henri Matisse, including the paper cuts (gouaches découpées) that were exhibited for the first time.
In 1992 a large bundle of paintings by Henri Matisse, Miró, Dubuffet, Giacometti, Paul Cézanne and Georges Rouault from his estate was transferred to the Center Georges Pompidou in Paris as a dation, i.e. a donation for the inheritance tax . A foundation established by his widow Maria-Gaetana Matisse in 1995 donated around 100 works of art from his personal collection worth over 100 million US dollars to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York in 2004 : the Pierre and Maria-Gaetana Matisse Collection .
During Matisse's time in the United States, he maintained close ties with his father, Henri Matisse. Her extensive correspondence as well as the Pierre Matisse Gallery archives are kept in the Morgan Library in New York City.
Matisse was married three times. In 1929 Alexina "Teeny" Sattler married . They had children together, Paul , Jacqueline and Peter. The marriage broke up in 1949 when Matisse fell in love with Roberto Matta's second wife , Patricia Kane Matta (1923–1972), and they married after the divorce. Teeny married Marcel Duchamp in 1954 . After Patricia's death in 1972, Matisse married Maria-Gaetana "Tana" von Spreti (1943–2001), the daughter of the diplomat Karl von Spreti, in 1974 .
- Magdalena Dabrowski, William S. Lieberman, Sabine Rewald: Selections from the Pierre and Maria-Gaetana Matisse Collection. Exhibition catalog. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York 2004.
- William M. Griswold, Jennifer Tonkovich: Pierre Matisse and his artists. Exhibition catalog. Pierpont Morgan Library, New York 2002, ISBN 0-87598-133-X
- Isabelle Monod-Fontaine, Claude Laugier (Ed.): Dation Pierre Matisse. Exhibition catalog. Musée National d'Art Moderne / Center Georges Pompidou, Paris 1992, ISBN 2-85850-671-X .
- Sabine Rewald, Magdalena Dabrowski: The American Matisse: The Dealer, His Artists, His Collection. (Metropolitan Museum of Art). Yale University Press, 2010, ISBN 978-0-300-15510-5 .
- John Russell: Matisse. Father & Son. Harry N. Abrams, New York 1999, ISBN 0-8109-4378-6 .
- Quoted from: The Pierre and Maria Gaetana Matisse Foundation
- warholstars.org, accessed on August 20, 2010 ( Memento from May 2, 2015 in the Internet Archive )
- The Morgan Library, accessed August 20, 2010
- Pierre Matisse; Art Dealer Was Son of Famed Painter , latimes.com, Aug 14, 1989
- Calvin Tomkins: Marcel Duchamp. A biography . Hanser, Munich 1999, pp. 447, 450
- See web link The Pierre and Tana Matisse Foundation
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||French-American gallery owner|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 13, 1900|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bohain-en-Vermandois , France|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 10, 1989|
|Place of death||Monaco|