Reginald Aldworth Daly
Reginald Aldworth Daly (born March 18, 1871 in Napanee , Ontario , † September 19, 1957 in Cambridge , Massachusetts ) was a Canadian geologist . He was a professor at Harvard University from 1912 to 1942 after serving as a mapping geologist for the Canadian International Boundary Commission .
He examined the rocks along a strip more than 600 kilometers long at the 49th parallel . From his findings during this work, he formulated a theory of igneous rocks , which he published in his 1914 work Igneous Rocks and Their Origin . He was an early proponent of Alfred Wegener's and Arthur Holmes ' continental drift theory, about which he published a book ( Out mobile earth ). In 1946 Daly published the collision theory of the formation of the moon .
In 1909 Daly was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences , in 1913 to the American Philosophical Society and in 1925 to the National Academy of Sciences . In 1921 he became an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh . In 1929 he became a corresponding member of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR , in 1946 of the Académie des sciences in Paris and in 1950 a foreign member of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Sciences . In 1932 he was President of the Geological Society of America . He was awarded the Penrose Medal of the Geological Society of America in 1935 , the Wollaston Medal of the Geological Society of London in 1942, and the William Bowie Medal of the American Geophysical Union in 1946 . Crater on Mars and the moon ( lunar crater Daly ) and the rare mineral Dalyit are named after him, and his house in Cambridge (the Reginald A. Daly House is) today listed building as a National Historic Landmark .
- 1901: Scientific Expedition to Iceland, Greenland and Labrador. In: Science . Volume 13, No. 318, p. 192, PMID 17816318 .
- 1901: Notes on Oceanography. In: Science. Volume 13, No. 337, pp. 951-954; PMID 17733661 .
- 1912: Geology of the North American Cordillera at the 49th Parallel (= Canada Department of Mines Geological Survey Memoir, Volume 38). Government Printing Office, Ottawa
- 1914: Igneous rocks and their origin. McGraw Hill, New York
- 1916: A New Test of the Subsidence Theory of Coral Reefs. In: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences . Volume 2, No. 12, pp. 664-670; PMID 16586654 .
- 1917: Low-Temperature Formation of Alkaline Feldspars in Limestones. In: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences . Volume 3, No. 11, pp. 659-665; PMID 16576265 .
- 1918: Genesis of the alkaline rocks. In: Journal of Geology . Pp. 97-134
- 1920: A General Sinking of Sea-Level in Recent Time. In: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences . Volume 6, No. 5, pp. 246-250; PMID 16586806 .
- 1926: Our mobile Earth. Scribners, New York
- 1931: Gardiner on Coral Reefs. In: Science . Volume 74, No. 1927, pp. 566-567; PMID 17807633 .
- 1933: The Depths of the Earth. In: Science . Volume 77, No. 1987, pp. 95-102; PMID 17797838 .
- 1933: Igneous rocks and the depths of the Earth. McGraw Hill, New York, reprinted 1962
- 1935: Densities of Rocks Calculated from Their Chemical Analyzes. In: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences . Volume 21, No. 12, pp. 657-663; PMID 16588027 .
- 1946: Origin of the Moon and its topography. In: Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society . Volume 90, pp. 104-119.
- Robert M. Hazen: Reginald Aldworth Daly (1871-1957). Biography Dalys, American Geophysical Union
- James H. Natland: Reginald Aldworth Daly (1871-1957): Eclectic Theoretician of the Earth. In: GSA Today . Volume 16, No. 2, February 2006, pp. 24-26
- Ralph B. Baldwin and Don E. Wilhelms: Historical Review of a Long-Overlooked Paper by RA Daly Concerning the Origin and Early History of the Moon. In: Journal of Geophysical Research . Volume 97, No. E3, pp. 3837-3843, 1992 ( short version )
- Fellows Directory. Biographical Index: Former RSE Fellows 1783–2002. Royal Society of Edinburgh, accessed October 19, 2019 .
- Foreign members of the Russian Academy of Sciences since 1724: Daly, Reginald Aldworth. Russian Academy of Sciences, accessed November 3, 2019 (Russian).
- Directory of members since 1666: Letter D. Académie des sciences, accessed on November 3, 2019 (French).
- Past Members: Reginald Aldworth Daly (1871-1957). Royal Netherlands Academy of Sciences, accessed November 3, 2019 .
|SURNAME||Daly, Reginald Aldworth|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Canadian geologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 18, 1871|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Napanee , Ontario|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 19, 1957|
|Place of death||Cambridge , Massachusetts|