Rolf Dieter Lauter (born December 3, 1952 in Mannheim ) is a German art historian , curator and cultural manager.
Lauter already worked at the Margarete Lauter Gallery in Mannheim during his school and high school days . From 1972 he studied art history, classical archeology, Christian archeology, philosophy and Romance studies at the University of Heidelberg and the University of Göttingen . At Peter Anselm Riedl's in Heidelberg, he became involved in variable plastic in 1984 . Doctoral thesis on the subject of changeability in the art of the 20th century . Since 1984 he has held a position as a research assistant, since 1989 as curator at the Museum of Modern Art in Frankfurt am Main , which moved to the new museum building in 1991. Since 1991 he has been chief curator and deputy director. He managed in-house exhibition projects and projects in the municipality and was involved in a supraregional advisory role in the new museum building in Bolzano . Between 1989 and 1994 he held lectureships on contemporary art at the University of Marburg , and later also at the University of Mannheim . From 2002 to 2007, Lauter was director of the Kunsthalle Mannheim , where he tried to thematize a new museum model in several exhibitions from 2003 to 2007 that was no longer based on the chronological, art-historical arrangement of the works of art, but on the principle of supra-cultural and supra-temporal correspondence of works with comparable content and aesthetic forms of expression.
After his much-discussed replacement from the management of the Kunsthalle (September 2007) by the municipality, Lauter was employed as a cultural representative for the fine arts for two years. During this time he developed numerous artistic and urban planning projects, of which the extensive exhibition artscoutone had a long lasting effect in the metropolitan region. Since then, Lauter has been involved in various projects to promote art in the Rhine-Neckar region and nationwide, for which he set up his own foundation .
See: List of exhibitions curated by Rolf Lauter
Rolf Lauter has curated numerous exhibitions by international artists in various institutions. From 1985 to 2002 he realized numerous exhibitions and cultural projects, some of them cross-city, for the Museum of Modern Art, the Galerie Jahrhunderthalle Hoechst and the city of Frankfurt, such as contemporary art in urban areas , art in Frankfurt 1945 to today , Views from Abroad , Bill Viola: A 25 Year Survey Exhibition or light trail along the Braubachstrasse cultural mile . Lauter has also curated overview exhibitions on the artists Carl Andre (1991), Neo Rauch (1993), Charlotte Posenenske and Peter Roehr (1993/94), Alighiero Boetti (1998), Bill Viola (1999), Lucian Freud (2000/01), Jeff Wall (2001) and was, among others, partner curator of John Baldessari , Fischli & Weiss , Dan Flavin , Mario Merz , Claes Oldenburg , Eric Fischl , Alex Katz and James Turrell . As director of the Kunsthalle Mannheim , he realized several new presentations of the collection “ Die Neue Kunsthalle I-IV ” (2003-2005), Direct Painting-Direct Painting (2004/05), Full House - Faces of a Collection (2006) and 100 Years of the Kunsthalle Mannheim (2007) and solo exhibitions with Arthur Omar and Juergen Teller (2003), Nigel Hall , Yang Fudong , Gary Hill , Lynette Yiadom-Boakye , Yan Pei-Ming (2004), Martin Parr , Horst Hamann , Cecily Brown and Jaume Plensa ( 2005), Sigmar Polke , Hussein Chalayan , James Turrell , Thomas Zipp , Tal R , Matthias Weischer (2007/8). Since 2009 Lauter has realized artist and art projects; such as Curator's Choice , Hans Peter Adamski , Artist Friends - Artist Duos , artscoutone, Otgonbayar Ershuu , artscoutneo, Margret Eicher , Horst Hamann , Inner - Outer Worlds or London Portraits .
"Progressive topicality in a museum can only be achieved on the one hand by the consistent search for the new and not for the recognized in contemporary art, on the other hand by enabling a dialogue between the present and the past."
Lauter is the editor of a large number of publications and exhibition catalogs that were created during his work in Frankfurt am Main and Mannheim.
- (Ed.) With Peter Iden : Pictures for Frankfurt. Inventory catalog of the Museum of Modern Art. Munich 1985, ISBN 978-3-7913-0702-2 .
- (Ed.): Art in Frankfurt. The Museum of Modern Art and the Ströher Collection. On the history of a private collection. Exhibition cat. (December 5, 1994 to January 8, 1995). Frankfurt am Main, undated
- (Ed.): For Jean-Christophe Ammann : Festschrift. Societäts-Verlag, Frankfurt am Main 2001, ISBN 3-7973-0789-6 .
- (Ed.): Lucian Freud Naked Portraits. Works from the 40s to 90s. 2001, ISBN 3-7757-9043-8 .
- Literature by and about Rolf Lauter in the catalog of the German National Library
- Literature by and about Rolf Lauter 
- ↑ In a newspaper article in Mannheimer Morgen on August 18, 2005, which published an interview with Lauter, Lauter clearly presented his activities in his mother's gallery. accessed on March 6, 2020
- ↑ for comparison: Kasper König was in New York at the age of 18 in Claes Oldenburg's studio and has curated exhibitions since then. accessed on March 6, 2020
- ^ Galerie Lauter www.worldcat.org, accessed on January 28, 2020
- ↑ Rolf Lauter is to head the Kunsthalle Wed, April 24, 2002 Badische Zeitung. accessed on January 28, 2020
- ↑ Frankfurter Allgemeine, which can not be canceled , accessed on January 14, 2020
- ↑ Mannheim - Wrong media presentation for the art gallery MRN-News.de, accessed on January 14, 2020
- ↑ Head of the Kunsthalle Mannheim dismissed at kunstmarkt, accessed on January 14, 2020
- ↑ Galerie Jahrhunderthalle Hoechst. Retrieved March 6, 2020 .
- ^ Projects of the Förderverein Schöneres Frankfurt eV: 3rd major project of the Förderverein: Exhibition in the Dom-Römer area 1990/91 »Contemporary art in urban space. Retrieved March 6, 2020 .
- ↑ Rolf Lauter in: Art in Frankfurt 1945 to today , Societäts-Verlag, Frankfurt am Main, 1995 ISBN 3-7973-0581-8 .
- ↑ Jean-Christophe Ammann, Mario Kramer, Rolf Lauter, Adam D. Weinberg: Views from abroad: European perspectives on American Art 2 / The discovery of the other: a European view of American art 2 . Ed .: Whitney Museum of American Art. HN Abrams, New York 1996, ISBN 978-0-87427-101-0 , pp. 175 ( online [accessed March 6, 2020]).
- ^ Rolf Lauter: Bill Viola: a 25 year survey exhibition: Works from 25 years, Museum of Modern Art, Schirn Kunsthalle, Römer Town Hall, Dominican Monastery, Deutsche Börse, February 5 to April 25 . Frankfurt, Main 1999 ( online [accessed March 6, 2020]).
- ↑ Rolf Lauter: tracer. 2002, accessed March 6, 2020 .
- ↑ Carl Andre: extraneous roots - Museum of Modern Art (Frankfurt, Germany), 1991. Accessed March 6, 2020 .
- ^ Neo Rauch: Dresdner Bank AG, Frankfurt am Main, September - November 1993. Retrieved March 6, 2020 .
- ^ MMK Frankfurt - Archive Roehr: Documents. Retrieved March 6, 2020 .
- ^ Rolf Lauter (Ed.), Homage to Peter Roehr: Photomontages of the years 1964-1966 , Fotografie Forum, Frankfurt am Main 1994. ISBN 3-7973-0582-6 .
- ↑ Alighiero Boetti: mettere al mondo il mondo; [an exhibition of the Museum of Modern Art Frankfurt from January 30th - May 10th 1998 and the Galerie Jahrhunderthalle Hoechst from March 1st - April 19th 1998] / [Ed. : R. Lauter]. Retrieved March 6, 2020 .
- ^ Rolf Lauter: Bill Viola - European Insights. Museum of Modern Art, 1999, accessed March 6, 2020 .
- ↑ Rolf Lauter (Ed.): Lucian Freud Naked Portraits . Works of the 40s to the 90s / Works from the 1940s to the 1990s . With contributions by Jean-Christophe Ammann , Craig Hartley, Rolf Lauter. Hatje Cantz, Ostfildern-Ruit 2001. ISBN 3-7757-9043-8
- ^ Rolf Lauter: Jeff Wall: Figures and Places. Museum of Modern Art, 2001, accessed March 6, 2020 .
- ^ Rolf Lauter, Werner Marx, Stefanie Müller: Die Neue Kunsthalle I-IV & Full House: Faces of a Collection . Kunsthalle Mannheim, Mannheim 2006 ( online [accessed March 6, 2020]).
- ^ Rolf Lauter: The new art gallery IV: Direct painting. 40 positions in international contemporary painting . Kunsthalle Mannheim, 2004 ( online [accessed March 7, 2020]).
- ^ Full House Faces of a Collection; Kunsthalle Mannheim April 02 - September 04, 2006. Accessed March 6, 2020 .
- ↑ 100 years of the Kunsthalle Mannheim. Retrieved March 7, 2020 .
- ^ Rolf Lauter (ed.), Fabian Stech: Yan Pei-Ming , the Way of the Dragon , Kehrer Verlag, Heidelberg 2005, ISBN 3-936636-57-5 .
- ^ Rolf Lauter: Four Eyes. In: OAP Offermann Architecture & Projects. Kunsthalle Mannheim, accessed on March 7, 2020 .
- ↑ Rolf Lauter, Thomas Zipp, Guido W Baudach: Is there life after death ?: Planet Caravan? A futuristic world fair . Kerber, Bielefeld; Leipzig 2007, ISBN 978-3-86678-094-1 ( online [accessed March 7, 2020]).
- ^ Wilfried Dickhoff, Rolf Lauter: Hans Peter Adamski: Sehnsuchtsquadrate Swiss Art Institution, Karlsruhe, September 18. - 11/21/2010 . Dickhoff, Cologne 2010, ISBN 978-3-9810613-2-1 ( online [accessed March 7, 2020]).
- ↑ Rolf Lauter: artscoutone. Kulturamt Mannheim artlabmannheim, 2009, accessed on March 7, 2020 .
- ↑ artlabmannheim: otgonbayar ershuu. Retrieved March 6, 2020 .
- ↑ Rolf Lauter: artscoutneo. artlabheidelberg, accessed on March 7, 2020 .
- ↑ Rolf Lauter: INNER OUTER WORLDS. In: artloft.berlin. artlabberlin, February 23, 2016, accessed on March 7, 2020 .
- ↑ Group Exhibition // Galerie flash: Nick Gentry - Andrew Salgado - George Morton-Clark // “London Portraits”. Retrieved March 6, 2020 .
- ↑ Rolf Lauter (Ed.): Full House - Faces of a Collection , Kunsthalle Mannheim 2006, p. 13 ( location in the bibliographic database WorldCat ).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German art historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||3rd December 1952|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Mannheim|