( May 26, 2020 )
|operating system||macOS , iOS , iPadOS|
|programming language||C ++ , Objective-C|
|License||Proprietary , parts under LGPL and BSDL|
Safari is a web browser of the company Apple . It is included in the scope of delivery of macOS from version Mac OS X Panther and iOS and replaces the previously supplied Microsoft Internet Explorer for Mac as the standard browser.
From version 3 to 5, Safari was also available for Windows . From version 6 the new versions appear parallel to the releases of the new operating system versions.
During the development of the browser, no naming was determined for the later final version. The final name “Safari” was only chosen in the month before the product was released. Possible alternative names were "Alexander", "iBrowse" or "Freedom".
The first version of Safari was introduced by Steve Jobs at Macworld 2003 . This made it the first alternative to Netscape , Opera and Internet Explorer, which at that time dominated the OS X operating system .
Version 3.1 for Mac OS X and Windows was released on March 18, 2008. With this version, the Windows version left the beta development stage; it is also available in German for the first time. In addition, support for current web standards such as CSS3 has been improved.
New in Safari version 3.2, released on November 13, 2008, are phishing protection and improved identification of online companies.
From version 5.0.1, Safari - similar to Firefox , Opera or Google Chrome - offers the option of installing extensions.
Version 5.1 uses the new WebKit2 framework , which means that the display of the websites can be outsourced to a separate process. This increases the stability of the program, as programming errors in the rendering engine can no longer lead to the entire browser crashing. Under Mac OS X Lion , the outsourced display process to improve security runs in a sandbox .
On July 25, 2012, Safari was released together with OS X Mountain Lion ; the new version is available as a software update for Mac OS X Lion . The new functions include a. a standardized search and address field, synchronization of open tabs with iOS devices via iCloud , support of the Do-Not-Track header and the Web Audio API . The reader function can be reached via a larger and more noticeable button on the right edge of the address bar, which turns blue as soon as an article is accessed from a website. Starting with version 6.1, instead of the font Palatino now Georgia used which allows for better screen display.
Version 6 was no longer released for Windows.
Safari 8 was distributed together with OS X Yosemite from October 2014 . Support for the display of 3D graphics using WebGL and support for the SPDY network protocol have been added . Encrypted videos can be played with HTML5 Premium Video.
Safari 9, released on September 30, 2015, was made available not only for the OS X El Capitan operating system, which was released at the same time , but also for the two older systems OS X Mavericks and OS X Yosemite . The new features in the release can only be used under El Capitan. This includes tab-related control over the sound playback, a new display in the reader and new features when filling out web forms. The fixation of tabs, which is already known from other web browsers and which is used more often, has been retrofitted so that they are not accidentally closed. There are also a number of security updates and features.
On August 17th, 2016, Apple published the first executable developer preview for download, with further releases in a row. By default, Safari 11 blocks all autoplay videos that have a soundtrack. The automatic reader function can be activated in the options window in order to display only text and images and to hide page navigation and advertising. By Intelligent Tracking Prevention (ITP), the detection of the surfing behavior, the cross-page tracking (cross-site tracking), through machine learning - algorithms even when switched Cookies are decimated. Advertising companies then accused Apple of sabotage because their cookies for displaying personalized, cross-page advertisements are deleted within 24 hours. Apple defended ITP because it did not block legitimate advertising, but only the tracking of a user's complete browser history.
Safari 12 was released on September 17, 2018 and is available for macOS Sierra 10.12.6, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and macOS Mojave 10.14.
On September 19, 2019, Apple released Safari 13. This version of the browser runs from macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 or macOS Mojave 10.14.5 and is also included as standard in macOS Catalina 10.15, which was released on October 7, 2019.
When testing support for the W3C standards (so-called recommendations), Safari in version 6.0 achieved a rate of 94% of the tested properties. Opera 12.1 also achieved the same rate. Mozilla Firefox 17.0 even achieved 95% of the properties, while Internet Explorer 10.0 only achieved 86%.
For rendering HTML pages using Safari Apple's WebKit, a C ++ - Framework with Objective-C - API (in Mac OS X version), which on the KHTML library of the KDE based project. , Apple has a spin-off , (Engl. "Fork") created them, have been made in some changes, on the one hand to allow improved access to other Mac OS X libraries, on the other hand to improve the presentation. In future versions of the WebKit, standards of the WHATWG will be implemented.
Like other modern Web browser Safari navigation with tabs ( " tabbed browsing ") and offers a pop-up blocker .
A special feature of Safari is the "SnapBack" function, which enables you to return to the original page.
Similar to other programs included in the OS X operating system, numerous gestures can be used, for example for navigation or for zooming in and out. The program supports color management . Since Safari 2.0, which has been available as part of Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" since April 29, 2005, it contains the "private mode" function for surfing without a cache , cookies and other data tracks.
- Unlimited number of open pages
- Combined search and address bar
- iCloud keychain for storing account data, passwords (optional, randomly generated password generation possible) and credit card numbers
- Bookmark synchronization between Safari (iOS) and Safari (macOS), Mozilla Firefox (Windows) or Google Chrome (Windows)
- Holding down a picture allows you to save it in the photo album or copy it to the clipboard.
- Set pages as bookmarks ("web clips") on the home screen.
- Open specially adapted pages in full screen.
Google privacy breach
The Wall Street Journal announced in early 2012 that Google had found a way to save cookies in Safari, although the user had generally not allowed this. Google was fined US $ 22.5 million for this by the US trade authority FTC in August 2012.
In February 2019, Safari was the second most widely used browser worldwide after Google Chrome with 15.56 percent, according to StatCounter , if desktop application and mobile use are added together. The share of exclusively mobile use (cell phone) is 21.29 percent, for tablets it is 67.32 percent (well ahead of all others) and in comparison to all browsers that are used in the desktop area, it is only 5.77 percent.
- Apple: Safari
- WebKit - Open Source Web Browser Engine - The Official Developer's Blog
- Multi-Safari - Older versions of the browser for download (English)
- ↑ About the security content of Safari 13.1.1. Apple Support, May 27, 2020, accessed May 29, 2020 .
- ↑ Apple appears to currently be passing on Safari 6.0 features for Windows PCs - 9to5mac (accessed July 25, 2012) .
- ^ Greetings from the Safari team at Apple Computer, mail to a KDE developer mailing list dated January 7, 2003.
- ↑ Safari: The well-known browser should initially be called "Alexander", "iBrowse" or "Freedom" .
- ↑ Windows-enabled Apple browser downloaded a million times .
- ↑ Apple's Windows Safari continues .
- ↑ Confirmation on the webkit-help mailing list on July 25, 2011.
- ↑ Safari 5.1 Protects Users with New Sandbox . In: softpedia.com. July 21, 2011, accessed August 30, 2012.
- ↑ Apple: Safari website, accessed July 25, 2012.
- ↑ OS X Yosemite v10.10 . In: Mac Developer Library. October 16, 2014. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- ↑ Ben Schwan: Apple is also updating Safari for older OS X versions. In: Mac & i. Heise Medien, accessed on October 10, 2015 .
- ↑ About the security content of Safari 9 - Apple Support. In: support.apple.com. Retrieved October 10, 2015 .
- ↑ Safari 10: Apple's browser becomes independent , Macwelt , accessed April 23, 2017
- ↑ Apple publishes Safari 11 Technology Preview (Developer) , iszene.com, August 17, 2016, accessed April 23, 2017
- ↑ Downloads for Safari - Safari Technology Preview , developer.apple.com, update for every release: currently April 19, 2017 (Release 28), accessed April 23, 2017
- ↑ Mac & i 4/2017, pp. 40–43.
- ↑ Tracking protection in Safari: Apple reacts to criticism from advertising companies | ZDNet.de . In: ZDNet.de . September 18, 2017 ( zdnet.de [accessed October 6, 2017]).
- ↑ About the security content of Safari 12. Retrieved March 19, 2019 .
- ↑ Safari 13 Release Notes | Apple Developer Documentation. Retrieved November 8, 2019 .
- ↑ Alexis Deveria: Can I use ... Support tables for HTML5, CSS3, etc , accessed on December 27, 2012.
- ↑ Google has to pay a fine of millions for unauthorized cookies . In: Stern.de. August 9, 2012, accessed on October 31, 2013: “Google has bypassed the privacy settings in the Safari browser and is being severely punished for this. The Internet company is paying $ 22.5 million (18.2 million euros) to put the case on file. […] In the present case, Google had found a way to leave so-called cookies on the Safari browser for iPhone, iPad and PC without the consent of the user. These are small files that can be used to partially track behavior on the network. "
- ↑ Mirjam Hauck: Google in the credibility trap . In: Süddeutsche Zeitung. October 31, 2013, accessed on October 31, 2013: "In 2012, the company was charged a fine of 18.2 million euros because Google had undermined data protection in Apple's Safari browser."
- ↑ Browser Market Share | StatCounter Global Stats. Retrieved March 15, 2019 .