The Sportseeschifferschein (SSS) is one of the official German sport ship licenses . It is required for driving commercial pleasure craft with motor and under sail in coastal sea waters (all seas up to 30 nautical miles from land as well as the entire Baltic and North Sea , English Channel , Bristol Channel , Irish and Scottish Sea (not: Scotia Sea ), Mediterranean and Black Sea ). The exact manning regulations result, as with the Sportküstenschifferschein (SKS), from Appendix 4 of the See-Sportbootverordnung and depend, among other things, on the size of the ship and the duration of the daily journey. In the case of non-commercial use of a sport boat, the license is voluntary.
In order for an applicant to be admitted to the exam, he must acc. § 6 Abs. 2 SportSeeSchV meet the following requirements:
- Holder of the sports boat license for the lake
- Additionally one of the three alternatives:
- Proof of 1,000 nautical miles on yachts with the respective type of propulsion in the sea area after acquiring the sports boat driving license as a security officer or his representative, of which at least 500 nautical miles before the theoretical test; or
- Proof of at least 700 nautical miles on yachts with the respective type of propulsion in the sea area after obtaining the sports coast ship license, whereby the 700 nautical miles must only be proven during the practical test; or
- Proof of at least 700 nautical miles on yachts in the sea area after obtaining a license before October 1, 1999 from the German Sailing Association e. V. issued BR license .
The DSV issues around 500 sport sea boat licenses throughout Germany every year.
The exam consists of a theoretical and a practical part. The entire examination must be completed within 36 months, the theoretical examination within 24 months, otherwise parts of the examination that have already been passed expire. A failed partial examination can be repeated after two months at the earliest.
- Theoretical exam
- Shipping law including radar plotting (60 minutes)
- Seamanship (45 minutes)
- Navigation (everything except astronomical navigation) (120 minutes)
- Meteorology (45 minutes)
The navigation exam is structured as a map task. In this task u. a. Tides are calculated in advance according to the Admiralty Tide Tables and questions about electronic navigation are answered.
Theoretical knowledge is tested individually for each subject with a free-text questionnaire. In the event that the applicant only answers between 55 and 65 percent of the questions correctly, they must take an additional oral examination in each of the subjects concerned. The exam questions are not published.
Since the exams are very extensive and the preparation time-consuming, the exams in the four subjects can be taken on up to four dates. The examination material of the SSS is much more extensive than that of the SKS.
- Practical exam
The practical part of the test is carried out on a seaworthy yacht and is significantly more extensive than with the SKS. In addition to handling the ship, the exam also includes radar knowledge, seamanship, crew management and yacht technology. As an alternative, the SSS can also be purchased with a motor only.
Additional entry traditional boatman
The Sportseeschifferschein enables traditional ships with a hull length of up to 15 meters and more than 25 people on board or with a hull length of 15 to 25 meters.
In the SSS, the additional entry qualification to operate traditional ships or qualification as machinist of traditional ships can be noted (so-called traditional ship license ). With this additional entry, the SSS is valid for traditional ships with a length of more than 25 and less than 55 meters. The crew may then exceed 25 people.
Comparable notes from other countries
- Austria: Certificate of proficiency in range 2 up to 20 nautical miles or (in the above-mentioned European seas) in range 3 (up to 200 nautical miles)
- Switzerland: Certificate of ability to drive yachts at sea ( high sea license) , which, however, corresponds to the area of validity of the sport high sea ship license
- United Kingdom: Yachtmaster Offshore up to 150 nautical miles to the nearest port. Here, however, less extensive theoretical knowledge is required, but higher practical requirements are required.
All sport ship licenses include the international certificate in accordance with Resolution No. 40 of the United Nations Economic Commission ( International Certificate of Competence ). With the help of this certificate, drivers of pleasure boats can prove their qualifications abroad. The driver's licenses have been extended to include a third inside page.
The official predecessor of the Sportseeschifferschein was the Sportseeschifferzeugnis . Until 1994 it was the compulsory certificate of proficiency for commercial recreational shipping. The sport sea boat certificate can be converted into the sport sea boat certificate after completing the practical test. The content of the BK license was similar to the Sportseeschifferschein. BK certificates that were issued before January 1st, 1994 can be converted into the Sportseeschifferschein.
- Dietrich von Haeften, Harald Schultz: Sportseeschifferschein. Delius Klasing, Bielefeld 2006. ISBN 3-7688-1165-4
- ↑ § 15 SeeSpbootV .
- ↑ Appendix 4 (to § 15 Paragraph 2) SeeSpbootV: Occupation of commercially used pleasure boats .
- ↑ http://www.sportbootfuehrerscheine.org/info/info-und-ueberblick-sportbootfuehrerscheine/sportseeschifferschein-sss.html
- ↑ Ordinance on the acquisition of sport sea and high seas boat licenses and the occupation of traditional ships , laws on the Internet.
- ↑ Ordinance on the Swiss certificate of proficiency for driving yachts at sea (PDF; 502 kB).
- ^ Yachtmaster Offshore , Royal Yachting Association.
- www.dsv.org Information on sport boat driving licenses
- www.sportbootfuehrerscheine.org Sportseeschifferschein
- SportSeeSchV ( PDF ) - Ordinance on the acquisition of sport lake and sport high seas boat licenses and the occupation of traditional ships (Germany)
- Text of the marine recreational craft regulation
- Implementation guidelines Sportsee- / Sporthochseeschifferschein (PDF; 82 kB)
- Driving license information for sport lake and sport high seas boat licenses on elwis.de