The Door in the Floor - The door of temptation
|German title||The Door in the Floor - The door of temptation|
|Original title||The door in the floor|
|Country of production||United States|
The Door in the Floor - The Door in the Floor ( The Door in the Floor ) is an American film drama by Tod Williams from the year 2004 . Tod Williams wrote the screenplay based on the novel Widow for One Year by John Irving .
The two sons of the married couple Ted and Marion Cole die in a car accident. The remaining daughter Ruth is neglected; Ted and Marion live separately at times.
Ted, who works as a children's author, hires young Eddie O'Hare - who looks like Ted and Marion's late sons - as assistants. Marion one day surprises O'Hare, who masturbates while looking at Marion's underwear. She talks to him about it, goes out with him and seduces him. The woman begins an affair with O'Hare, who previously had no other wife. Ted devotes himself to painting, for which he hires Evelyn Vaughn as a nude model.
Marion leaves her husband for good; she renounces custody of Ruth. To do this, she takes all the photos of her deceased sons with her. Ted later discovers that he still has a photo that was taken to a shop to be repaired. He dismisses O'Hare, whom he tells of the accident in which his and Marion's sons were killed before he leaves. He speaks about himself in the third person.
The last scene shows Ted playing squash. He is alone in the court. At the very end of the film, Ted opens a hidden door in the floor of the squash room and goes down.
Peter Travers wrote in the magazine Rolling Stone of 14 July 2004, the film was " exceptional in every way " - from the " perfect " ( " pitch-perfect ") representations to the sensitive treatment of the subject.
The lexicon of international films wrote: “Melodrama, which is well staged and later abruptly changes the key and genre [...] In self-reflective references, casual dialogues and sparse visual accents, the film, which is played in the main role, creates a fascinating sad image of a love that is played by the long shadow of a traumatic past. "
Tod Williams was nominated for the Golden Shell of the Festival Internacional de Cine de Donostia-San Sebastián in 2004. He and Jeff Bridges were nominated for the Independent Spirit Award in 2005. Tod Williams and John Irving were nominated for the USC Scripter Award in 2005.
- The Door in the Floor - The Door in the Floor in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- The Door in the Floor - The Door in the Floor at Rotten Tomatoes (English)
- The Door in the Floor - The Door of Temptation at Metacritic (English)
- The Door in the Floor - The door of temptation in the German dubbing index
- Release certificate for The Door in the Floor - The door of temptation . Voluntary self-regulation of the film industry , November 2004 (PDF; test number: 100 018 K).
- Age rating for The Door in the Floor - The door of temptation . Youth Media Commission .
- Review by Peter Travers, accessed on August 2, 2007
- The Door in the Floor in the Lexicon of International Films , accessed on August 2, 2007
- Filming locations for The Door in the Floor, accessed August 2, 2007
- for The Door in the Floor, accessed August 2, 2007
- Box office / business for The Door in the Floor, accessed August 2, 2007