Karl Georg Theodor Kotschy , also Carl , (born April 15, 1813 in Ustron , Austrian Silesia , † June 11, 1866 in Vienna ) was an Austrian botanist , explorer and plant collector . He brought back over 300,000 plant specimens from his travels, mostly to the Orient. Its official botanical author's abbreviation is " Kotschy ".
Theodor Kotschy is the son of the evangelical theologian, educator and botanist Carl Friedrich Kotschy . 1836–1838 Kotschy accompanied Joseph Russegger on his research trip to Cilicia , Syria , Egypt and Sudan . In 1839 he visited Kordofan again , in 1840 in Cyprus , in 1841 in Asia Minor . 1842–1843 he undertook an expedition to Persia , where he climbed the Damavand , after which he returned to Vienna via Erzurum , Trebizond and Constantinople . Further trips took him again to Egypt and Palestine in 1855, and to Cyprus, Asia Minor and Kurdistan in 1859 . In 1862 he traveled again to Cyprus and northern Syria.
Numerous plant and animal species bear Kotschy's name, including the square crab ( Epixanthus kotschyi ) found on the island of Karak in the Persian Gulf and the Aegean bare-fingered gecko ( Mediodactylus kotschyi ). The plant genera Kotschya Endl. from the legume family (Fabaceae) and Kotschyella F.K.Mey. from the cruciferous family (Brassicaceae) is named after him.
- Fenzl , Heckel , Redtenbacher (eds.): Images and descriptions of new and rare animals and plants, collected in Syria and in the western Taurus , E. Schweizerbart, Stuttgart 1843, http: //vorlage_digitalisat.test/1%3D~GB%3D~IA%3D~MDZ%3D%0A10138607~SZ%3D7~ double-sided%3D~LT%3D~PUR%3D
- With Heinrich Wilhelm Schott and Carl Frederik Nyman : Analecta botanica , Carl Gerold & Sons, Vindobonae (Vienna) 1854, http: //vorlage_digitalisat.test/1%3D~GB%3D~IA%3Danalectabotanica00scho~MDZ%3D%0A~SZ%3Dn6~ double-sided%3D~LT%3D~PUR%3D
- Conifers of the Cilicischen Taurus (together with Franz Antoine ), 1855.
- The oaks of Europe and the Orient , 1858–1862.
- Plantae Tinneanae (together with Johann Joseph Peyritsch ), 1867.
- Journey into the Cililic Taurus via Tarsus , Justus Perthes, Gotha 1858, http: //vorlage_digitalisat.test/1%3D~GB%3D~IA%3D~MDZ%3D%0A10430676~SZ%3D7~ double-sided%3D~LT%3D~PUR%3D
- Constantin von Wurzbach : Kotschy, Karl . In: Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich . 13th part. Imperial-Royal Court and State Printing Office, Vienna 1865, p. 41 f. ( Digitized version ).
- Heinrich Wilhelm Reichardt : Kotschy, Theodor . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 16, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1882, p. 763 f.
- Knoll: Austrian Biographical Lexicon 1815–1950 (ÖBL). Volume 4, Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Vienna 1969, p. 160. In:
- Robert Zander : Zander concise dictionary of plant names . Ed .: Fritz Encke , Günther Buchheim, Siegmund Seybold . 13th, revised and expanded edition. Eugen Ulmer, Stuttgart 1984, ISBN 3-8001-5042-5 .
- Christa Riedl-Dorn: Theodor Kotschy. In: (Ed.) W. Seipel: The discovery of the world. The world of discovery. Austrian researchers, collectors, adventurers (Vienna / Stuttgart 201) pp. 256–263
- This trip was probably made with the help of the Württemberg Natural History Travel Association . Source: Announcement of plants for sale by the Württemberg travel association . Nubian plants by Th. Kotschy, in: Intellektivenblatt zur Flora , 24th year, 1st part, 1841, p. 41, http: //vorlage_digitalisat.test/1%3D40~GB%3D~IA%3Dmobot31753002306865~MDZ%3D%0A~SZ%3D~ double-sided%3D~LT%3D~PUR%3D .
- Lotte Burkhardt: Directory of eponymous plant names . Extended Edition. Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin, Free University Berlin Berlin 2018. 
- Literature by and about Theodor Kotschy in the catalog of the German National Library
- Author entry and list of the described plant names for Theodor Kotschy at the IPNI
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Kotschy, Karl Georg Theodor|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian botanist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 15, 1813|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Ustroń|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 11, 1866|
|Place of death||Vienna|