Live and act
Wehrenpfennig studied in Jena and Berlin theology . During his studies in 1847 he became a member of the Arminia fraternity in the castle cellar in Jena. During the March Revolution of 1848/49 he fought for democracy on the barricades of Leipzig and Dresden, among others together with Johannes von Miquel and Lorenz Theodor Nagel . He received his doctorate in Halle (Saale) in 1853 and then became a high school teacher at the Joachimsthaler Gymnasium in Berlin. In 1857 Wehrenpfennig became senior teacher at the Friedrichsgymnasium. From 1858 to 1862 he was director of the literary office of the Prussian State Ministry (i.e. head of the information department). From 1863 to 1883 he was editor and, together with Heinrich von Treitschke, co-editor of the Prussian yearbooks and, in 1872/73, editor-in-chief of the Spenersche Zeitung . In 1877 he became a secret government councilor and lecturer in the Ministry of Commerce, responsible for technical schools. In 1879 he moved to the Ministry of Education as a senior government councilor.
From 1868 to 1879 Wehrenpfennig was a member of the Prussian House of Representatives with a mandate from the National Liberal Party . In addition, he was from 1869 as a member of the Waldeck constituency of the North German and from 1871 as a member of the constituency of Kassel 3 (Fritzlar - Homberg - Ziegenhain) of the German Reichstag . Wehrenpfennig belonged to this until 1881.
- Helge Dvorak: Biographical Lexicon of the German Burschenschaft. Volume I: Politicians. Sub-Volume 4: M-Q. Winter, Heidelberg 2000, ISBN 3-8253-1118-X , p. 180.
- Bernd Haunfelder , Klaus Erich Pollmann : Reichstag of the North German Confederation 1867-1870. Historical photographs and biographical handbook (= photo documents on the history of parliamentarism and political parties. Volume 2). Droste, Düsseldorf 1989, ISBN 3-7700-5151-3 , photo p. 350, short biography p. 485.
- Bernhard Mann (edit.): Biographical manual for the Prussian House of Representatives. 1867-1918. (= Handbooks on the history of parliamentarism and political parties. Volume 3). Droste Verlag, Düsseldorf 1988, p. 407
- Fritz Specht, Paul Schwabe: The Reichstag elections from 1867 to 1903. Statistics of the Reichstag elections together with the programs of the parties and a list of the elected representatives . 2nd Edition. Carl Heymann Verlag, Berlin 1904, p. 288.
- Fritz Specht, Paul Schwabe: The Reichstag elections from 1867 to 1903. Statistics of the Reichstag elections together with the programs of the parties and a list of the elected representatives . 2nd Edition. Carl Heymann Verlag, Berlin 1904, p. 149; see. also A. Phillips (Ed.): The Reichstag elections from 1867 to 1883. Statistics of the elections for the constituent and North German Reichstag, for the customs parliament, as well as for the first five legislative periods of the German Reichstag . Verlag Louis Gerschel, Berlin 1883, p. 96; Compare also short biography in: Georg Hirth (Ed.): German Parliament Almanach . 9th edition of May 9, 1871. Verlag Franz Duncker, Berlin 1871, p. 277.
- Hans-Jürgen Mende: Lexicon of Berlin tombs . Haude & Spener, Berlin 2006. p. 310.
- Eckhard Hansen, Florian Tennstedt (Eds.) U. a .: Biographical lexicon on the history of German social policy from 1871 to 1945 . Volume 1: Social politicians in the German Empire 1871 to 1918. Kassel University Press, Kassel 2010, ISBN 978-3-86219-038-6 , p. 169 f. ( Online , PDF; 2.2 MB).
- Acta borussica. Volume 8 / II. (PDF file; 2.19 MB)
- Wehrenpfennig, Wilh. In: Brockhaus' Kleines Konversations-Lexikon. 5th edition. Volume 2, Leipzig 1911, p. 962. (digitized version )
- Helge Dvorak: Biographical Lexicon of the German Burschenschaft. Volume I: Politicians. Volume 6: T-Z. Winter, Heidelberg 2005, ISBN 3-8253-5063-0 , pp. 228-229.
- Wilhelm Wehrenpfennig in the database of members of the Reichstag
- Wehrpfennig, Wilhelm. Hessian biography. (As of March 15, 2020). In: Landesgeschichtliches Informationssystem Hessen (LAGIS).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German publicist, civil servant and politician (NLP), MdR|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 25, 1829|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Blankenburg|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 25, 1900|
|Place of death||Berlin|