Maderthaner studied history and English at the University of Vienna . He wrote his diploma thesis in English studies on generative grammar in the work of Noam Chomsky , his dissertation in economic and social history on the social and cultural formation of a modern industrial workforce in a traditional iron and steel processing area in southern Lower Austria .
He has worked as a curator or clerk at major historical exhibitions since 1980. Since October 1983 Maderthaner has been head of the Association for the History of the Labor Movement (VGA) in Vienna. Since 1987 he has been in charge of scientific research projects on behalf of various Austrian research institutions, including the anniversary fund of the Austrian National Bank and the Fund for the Promotion of Scientific Research .
Maderthaner's research interests include the topics of mass and popular culture, formation and theory of modernity, theory of the city, Fordism and post-Fordism, European cultural and mental history (19th and 20th centuries), urban studies (especially Viennese urban history), urban anthropology, Cultural Studies / historical cultural studies.
Maderthaner has been a member of the Victor Adler and Karl von Vogelsang State Prize Jury since 1994 . He received the " Victor Adler State Prize for the History of Social Movements " in 1985 and the " Bruno Kreisky Prize for Political Books " in 2004 and 2008. In 2011, Federal President Heinz Fischer awarded him the Great Cross of Honor for Science and Art I. Class. In 2012 Maderthaner was appointed General Director of the Austrian State Archives. At the end of May 2019, he retired as General Director of the State Archives. The interim management was taken over by Manfred Fink, Director of the Republic Archives Department. On November 1, 2019, Helmut Wohnout succeeded him as General Director.
In the course of the shredder affair that became known in July 2019 , he located a non-compliance with the Federal Archives Act . In the opinion of the Federal Chancellery, however, the destruction of the hard drives was a legally compliant process with regard to the Archive Act, which was already carried out by the previous Kern government ( SPÖ ).
- with Lutz Musner: The anarchy of the suburbs. The other Vienna around 1900. Campus-Verlag, Frankfurt am Main et al. 2000, ISBN 3-593-36334-8 (In English: Unruly Masses. The other Side of Fin-de-Siècle Vienna (= International Studies in Social History. Vol. 13). Berghahn Books, New York NY et al. 2008, ISBN 978-1-84545-446-3 ).
- Culture, power, history. Studies on Viennese urban culture in the 19th and 20th centuries (= Politica et Ars. Interdisciplinary studies on the history of political ideas and culture. Vol. 8). Lit, Vienna et al. 2005, ISBN 3-8258-8969-6 .
- with Lutz Musner: The self- abolition of reason. The cultural sciences and the social crisis (= Viennese lectures in the town hall. Edition social criticism. Vol. 3). Picus-Verlag, Vienna 2007, ISBN 978-3-85452-582-0 .
- as editor with Alfred Pfoser and Roman Horak: The elegance of the round leather. Viennese football 1920–1965. Verlag Die Werkstatt, Göttingen 2008, ISBN 978-3-89533-614-0 .
- as editor with Helmut Konrad : The becoming of the First Republic ... the rest is Austria. 2 volumes. Gerold, Vienna 2008, ISBN 978-3-9502631-0-7 .
- with Hannes Androsch and Heinz Fischer : Forward - Austrian Social Democracy since 1889 , Brandstätter-Verlag, Vienna 2020, ISBN 978-3-7106-0424-9
- Wolfgang Maderthaner becomes the new General Director of the Austrian State Archives: “Accordation makes sense” , Wiener Zeitung , March 22, 2012, accessed on April 2, 2012.
- orf.at: State Archives are looking for new management . Article dated April 19, 2019, accessed April 19, 2019.
- Thomas Winkelbauer : SOS State Archives: This handling is a shame! In: The press . July 17, 2019, accessed July 17, 2019 .
- Wohnout becomes the new head of the Austrian State Archives. In: Salzburger Nachrichten . October 30, 2019, accessed October 31, 2019 .
- Shredder affair: violation of the Federal Archives Act located. July 26, 2019, accessed July 26, 2019 .
- In Kurz und Kern: Shredding for the Chancellery is legitimate. In: orf.at . August 26, 2019, accessed September 14, 2019 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 19, 1954|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Waidhofen an der Ybbs , Lower Austria|