- 1220 : King Friedrich II issues the Confoederatio cum principibus ecclesiasticis , in which he renounces sovereign rights. Beginning of territorial rule in the Holy Roman Empire and weakening of the central power.
- 1220: Frederick II is crowned emperor in Rome .
- 1227: Genghis Khan , founder of the Mongol Empire , dies
- around 1227 : The mendicant monks take over the one-volume Parisian Bible for their own purposes for the first time .
- around 1227: Ulrich von Liechtenstein travels to Rome and, disguised as Venus, goes on a tournament tour from Venice to Bohemia .
- 1228 : 5th crusade under Emperor Friedrich II. (Until 1229 ).
- around 1220 to 1230 : Villard de Honnecourt's construction works or sketchbook is created.
- 1220 bis 1231 / 1233 : Eike von Repgow writes the Mirror of Saxony .