|Studio album by Def Leppard|
March 31, 1992
|Label (s)||Mercury Records|
CD, LP, MC
Mike Shipley , Def Leppard
Adrenalize (English for: "Aufputschen") is the fifth studio album by the British hard rock band Def Leppard . It was released worldwide on March 31, 1992. It contains 10 titles, six of which were written with the assistance of Steve Clark .
The album Hysteria was an enormous success for Def Leppard in 1987: the album has sold around 20 million times worldwide. It took the band four years to record Hysteria , due to several changes of producer and a serious accident of their drummer Rick Allen , who had lost his left arm in the process. After the end of the Hysteria tour in October 1988, singer Joe Elliott announced that the recording of the follow-up album would not take that long again; the group planned to be able to complete the work after a year, since song ideas were already there.
While working on new songs and recordings, it became clear that guitarist Steve Clark's addiction problems were increasing, which slowed down the recording process. Steve Clark died on January 8, 1991 in his London apartment. The group nevertheless continued work on the album, but has not yet signed a successor for the late guitarist. The guitar parts were all recorded by Phil Collen.
Def Leppard dedicated the album to her late guitarist Steve Clark:
“This record is dedicated to Stephen Maynard Clark, the guitarist and good friend. We all have different memories of him: They range from his threat at the end of 1978 to leave the band if we didn't finally stop rehearsing and give a real concert, to completely impressive "shadows" on stage with his knees hanging Les Paul, up to his off-stage performances in bars and hotel rooms. It's strange to think that you really know someone when you are slowly realizing that there is more going on than what you can see. For the past few years, Steve's life has been a battle. It stopped being about writing or recording music and became a struggle for survival. Seeing someone dissolve right in front of your eyes is a tough thing, and while frustrating, it's impossible to stop. We've learned something about human nature, and believe us, it's not necessarily beautiful. Still: enough. Steamin 'had a hand in writing most of the songs on this recording, and it's the music he'll be remembered for. We miss him. "
- Let's Get Rocked (Phil Collen, Joe Elliott, Robert John "Mutt" Lange, Rick Savage) - 4:56
- Heaven Is (Steve Clark, Phil Collen, Joe Elliott, Robert John "Mutt" Lange, Rick Savage) - 3:37
- Make Love Like a Man (Steve Clark, Phil Collen, Joe Elliott, Robert John "Mutt" Lange) - 4:13
- Tonight (Steve Clark, Phil Collen, Joe Elliott, Robert John "Mutt" Lange, Rick Savage) - 4:03
- White Lightning (Phil Collen, Joe Elliott, Robert John "Mutt" Lange, Rick Savage) - 7:03
- Stand Up (Kick Love Into Motion) (Steve Clark, Phil Collen, Joe Elliott, Robert John "Mutt" Lange) - 4:31
- Personal Property (Phil Collen, Joe Elliott, Robert John "John" Lange, Rick Savage) - 4:20
- Have You Ever Needed Someone So Bad (Phil Collen, Joe Elliott, Robert John "Mutt" Lange) - 5:25
- I Wanna Touch U (Rick Allen, Steve Clark, Phil Collen, Joe Elliott, Robert John "Mutt" Lange) - 3:38
- Tear It Down (Steve Clark, Phil Collen, Joe Elliott, Rick Savage) - 3:38
Adrenalize topped the UK and US charts within two and three weeks, respectively ; in Germany the album rose to number 8 in the album charts. The album received one gold and four platinum awards in the USA .
Awards for music sales
|Country / Region||Award||Sales|
|Awards for music sales
(country / region, Award, Sales)
|Canada (MC)||4 × platinum||400,000|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||gold||7,500|
|United States (RIAA)||3 × platinum||3,000,000|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||gold||100,000|
|All in all||
7 × gold
10 × platinum
Main article: Def Leppard / Music Sales Awards
- Jenny Rönnebeck: Def Leppard: Hysteria . In: Rock Hard (Ed.): Best of Rock & Metal. The 500 strongest discs of all time . Heel Verlag, Königswinter 2007, ISBN 978-3-89880-517-9 , pp. 23 f .
- Liner Notes on Adrenalize
- Charts DE Charts UK Charts US