Pettigrew was world champion in the 400-meter run at the 1991 World Championships in Tokyo . In the final of the 4 x 400 meter relay , he was unable to hold the British Kriss Akabusi as the final runner , so that the US relay won silver. After he had only been used as a substitute runner in the run-up to the relay at the 1995 World Championships, he was a member of the world championship relay in 1997 in Athens , 1999 in Seville and 2001 in Edmonton . In the 400-meter run, he finished seventh (1997), five (1999) and four (2001) at these world championships. After he had not been able to qualify for the Olympic Games in 1992 or 1996, he took part in the Olympic Games for the first time in 2000 . In Sydney he finished seventh in the 400-meter run and was Olympic champion with the US relay .
As part of the trial against his former trainer Trevor Graham , he admitted that he had done doping with the help of growth hormones and erythropoietin (EPO) while he was active . He accepted a two-year ban and returned the gold medals he had won since 1997. On August 2, 2008, Antonio Pettigrew was subsequently disqualified for the 2000 Olympic Games. The gold medal in the relay was all athletes participating disallowed , as on 12 August 2008 with the 4-by-400-meter relay on July 22 at the 1998 Goodwill Games World Record achieved 1998th
He died of suicide in 2010 at the age of 42 . He left his wife and son.
- Former Olympic gold medalist Antonio Pettigrew found dead
- BBC News : Pettigrew given two-year dope ban , June 3, 2008
- IOC withdraws American gold from Sydney 2000. faz.net , August 2, 2008, accessed April 21, 2018 .
- iaaf.org: IAAF Council cancels 4x400m World record ( Memento of August 13, 2008 in the Internet Archive ), accessed on August 12, 2008
- Ex-world champion Pettigrew committed suicide , Die Zeit from October 13, 2010 ( Memento from March 8, 2016 in the Internet Archive )
- Spiegel Online : Athlete Antonio Pettigrew died on August 10, 2010
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American sprinter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||3rd November 1967|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Macon , Georgia|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 2010|
|Place of death||Chatham County , North Carolina|