Armin Eckhard Maiwald (born January 23, 1940 in Cologne ) is a German author , director and television producer . He is co-owner of the company FLASH Filmproduktion & Filmstudio Köln, which, among other things, produces films for Die Sendung mit der Maus .
From 1940 to 1942 Maiwald grew up in Cologne and was bombed three times . From 1942 to the beginning of February 1945 Maiwald's family lived with his paternal grandparents in Lauban in Lower Silesia and after their escape in Upper Bavaria in Uffing am Staffelsee until 1951 . Maiwald's father was killed in an air raid on Freising in 1945. From 1951 to 1953 Maiwald's family lived in Neuss , where he attended the Quirinus grammar school . From 1953 Maiwald lived in Cologne again and did his Abitur at the Kreuzgasse grammar school . As a teenager he was a member of the Catholic youth organization Bund Neudeutschland (ND). Maiwald studied theater studies , German language and literature and philosophy and, for financial reasons, worked at WDR during his studies. In 1963 he started as an assistant director at WDR .
Maiwald is one of the inventors of the well-known children's program Die Sendung mit der Maus , which has been broadcast since 1971, together with Dieter Saldecki and Gert Kaspar Müntefering and the artist Isolde Schmitt-Menzel , who designed the mouse. He is best known for his distinctive voice, with which he comments on the factual stories , in which he explains various phenomena and objects that one may encounter in everyday life. It was first seen on screen at the end of the 1970s, and today it is an integral part of the program alongside Christoph Biemann and Ralph Caspers . In an interview with Zeit Campus magazine in 2008, Maiwald criticized his broadcaster, ARD: “Today I wouldn't make a bet that not even someone would say: 'The mouse isn't as great as it used to be, come on, we'll throw it away . '”In the award-winning“ Postwar Mouse ”, Maiwald dealt with his childhood in the mid-1940s.
Armin Maiwald was the director of Der Spatz vom Wallrafplatz , Robbi, Tobbi and the Fliewatüüt and the first episodes of the puppet show series Hallo Spencer , which he wrote, among other things, from Spencer's welcoming saying “Hello people from 'A' to 'Z', from 1 to 100, from North to south, from east to west, here I am again, your dear good old Spencer! ”. In addition, he summarized his contributions from the program with the mouse in the library of non-fiction . He is also one of the experts in the quiz show Ask the Mouse .
On the occasion of Armin Maiwald's 80th birthday, he was allowed to choose his favorite contributions for the Maus program on January 26, 2020.
Maiwald lives in Cologne and has been married since 1965. He has a son and a daughter.
In 2011 Maiwald shot a film for the caroling campaign under the slogan "Children show strength". With a camera team, he drove to this year's sample country - Cambodia - and highlighted the grievances there - similar to one of his mouse films. This film was shown to the carol singers so that they could better understand the situation in the country.
He also made such a film for the 2012 campaign about this year's sample country: Nicaragua . The motto of the campaign was “Knock on doors, insists on rights”, the film was appropriately titled “Nicaragua: Children demand their rights”.
Armin Maiwald has received numerous prizes from the fields of media and journalism for his work.
- 1985 - Ernst Schneider Prize
- 1987 - German Prize for Monument Protection : Journalist Prize
- 1988 - Adolf Grimme Prize with gold for Die Sendung mit der Maus (together with Friedrich Streich and Dieter Saldecki )
- 1995 - Federal Cross of Merit on ribbon
- 2002 - Ernst Schneider Prize
- 2011 - Bayreuth model award of the bayreuther dialoge the future forum for economy, philosophy and society
- 2019 - North Rhine-Westphalia Order of Merit
Two schools were named after Armin Maiwald:
- Armin Maiwald School in Monheim-Baumberg
- Armin Maiwald School in Radevormwald , merged with the Hückeswagen Erich Kästner School in the “Förderschule Nordkreis” in the 2016/17 school year
- Armin Maiwald reads Christoph Columbus and the growth of the world. Unabridged reading; from 9 years. Armin Maiwald and Dieter Saldecki will read it , 3 CD; Würzburg: Arena-Verlag, 2006; ISBN 978-3-401-25929-1
- Stories from ancient Egypt with the mouse ; Texts: Dieter Saldecki, Peter Brandt; Speaker: Dieter Saldecki, Armin Maiwald; Hamburg: Universal Family Entertainment, 2002; ISBN 3-89832-935-6
- Peter Brandt, Armin Maiwald, Dieter Saldecki: Jesus - Jeschua - Iesous. Arena, Würzburg 2007, ISBN 978-3-401-05948-8 .
- Armin Maiwald: Setup in front of the camera. Memories from my life. Kiepenheuer & Witsch, Cologne 2015, ISBN 978-3-462-04745-5 .
- Armin Maiwald has a driving license for steam locomotives and was therefore allowed to drive the steam locomotive for a trip on the Fichtelbergbahn during the Maus team hike on the hiking trail of the German Unity in 2009 .
- Page no longer available , search in web archives: "Your curiosity is our best partner" - Interview with Armin Maiwald at SWR (text and sound) (accessed January 23, 2010)
- Monika Osberghaus: father of the animal lateral thinker in the FAZ of April 7, 2006 (No. 83 / page 42)
- "That almost hurts" - Interview with Armin Maiwald and information about the person on FR -online.de (accessed January 23, 2010)
- Literature by and about Armin Maiwald in the catalog of the German National Library
- Armin Maiwald in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Homepage of Armin Maiwald's company FLASH Filmproduktion & Filmstudio Cologne
- Library of non-fictional stories, Maiwald's works on audio-visual media
- A film by Armin Maiwald from the 1970s: The fire department song
- The inventor of mouse journalism Michael Borgers on deutschlandfunk.de, January 23, 2020
- Armin Maiwald, father of non-fictional stories with the mouse, in conversation with Axel Robert Müller , text pdf from January 22, 2010, 8:15 p.m., 15 pages, source: BR-online, online offer of Bayerischer Rundfunk , accessed on August 9 2020
- Flash Filmproduktion Armin Maiwald GmbH onunternehmendb.com ( Memento from March 13, 2013 in the Internet Archive )
- Susanne Niemöhlmann: Filmmaker Armin Maiwald from “Sendung mit der Maus”: More a journalist than a teacher - and curious , NGZ Online , February 4, 2002
- Who was Jesus? An interview with Armin Maiwald about Jesus, God and the mouse , anp 01/08, p. 10, PDF file, p. 1
- Manuel J. Hartung: Cafeteria talk with Armin Maiwald: The cafeteria with the mouse. In: zeit.de. February 18, 2009, accessed December 19, 2014 .
- Maiwald introduces autobiography to Ullala! Armin's colorful laugh and love stories , express.de , June 18, 2015
- Page no longer available , search in web archives: "Interview of the WDR with Armin Maiwald on the carol singing project"
- Armin Maiwald: Nicaragua: Children demand their rights. Kindermissionswerk , accessed January 5, 2012 .
- SOS Children's Village Foundation website
- Children's Hospice Bethel - Armin Maiwald
- Bayreuth Model Prize. In: bayreuther dialoge 2019. Retrieved on August 20, 2019 (American English).
- Award of the Stateof Merit. State Chancellery of North Rhine-Westphalia, May 14, 2019, accessed on May 15, 2019 .
- https://ams.monheim.de/schulprofil/armin-maiwald , accessed on August 9, 2020
- https://www.wdrmaus.de/extras/armins_sommerreisen/2009/sommerreise2009.php5 in part 5, accessed on August 9, 2020
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Maiwald, Armin Eckhard (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German journalist, television director and presenter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 23, 1940|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Cologne|