Live and act
After graduating from the Collegium Augustinianum Gaesdonck , Arnold Angenendt studied Catholic theology and history in Münster , where he was ordained priest in 1963 . He then worked as a chaplain in Vreden . This was followed by further studies at the universities of Bonn , Rome and Paris , in 1971 the doctorate and in 1975 the habilitation in Catholic theology.
Angenendt then taught for one year at the Pontifical Institute of Mediaeval Studies (PIMS) in Toronto and from 1976 at the Ruhr University in Bochum . In 1981 he was appointed to the chair for liturgical science at the Westphalian Wilhelms University in Münster , where two years later he followed his teacher Erwin Iserloh to the chair for medieval and modern church history . He held this chair until his retirement in 1999. Hubert Wolf succeeded his chair .
Important academic students from Angenendt are Wilhelm Damberg , Andreas Holzem , Stefan Klöckner , Hubertus Lutterbach , Gisela Muschiol , Philip Naameh , Joachim Schmiedl , Barbara Stühlmeyer , Ludger Stühlmeyer and Stefan Zekorn .
Angenendt died in August 2021, four days before his 87th birthday.
Angenendt's great merit is that he has integrated mentality and socio-historical approaches, such as those developed primarily by the Annales School in France , into German church historiography. This is evident not least from his magnum opus History of Religiousness in the Middle Ages (1997). His portrayal of the early Middle Ages. Western Christianity from 400–900 became the standard work. With this study he presented the first history of the Christian church in the early Middle Ages since Hans von Schubert .
Angenendt was a member of the Princeton Institute for Advanced Study , not a visiting professor at Princeton University, as is often stated , and a visiting professor at the École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales in Paris. In 1997 he was elected a member of the North Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences (class for humanities) and was from 1999 theological honorary doctor of the University of Lund in Sweden. In 1979 he was elected a full member of the Historical Commission for Westphalia , and from 2009 he was a corresponding member. As the first clergyman ever, he was invited to speak at the Russian Academy of Sciences in Moscow. He was a member of the Roman Institute of the Görres Society (RIGG) .
- Monachi peregrini. Studies on Pirmin and the monastic ideas of the early Middle Ages (= Münster medieval writings. Vol. 6). Fink, Munich 1972, ISBN 3-7705-0605-7 (also: Münster, Universität, theological dissertation, 1969).
- Imperial rule and royal baptism. Emperors, kings and popes as spiritual patrons in occidental mission history (= work on early medieval research. Vol. 15). De Gruyter, Berlin et al. 1984, ISBN 3-11-009898-9 .
- The early Middle Ages. Western Christianity from 400–900. Kohlhammer, Stuttgart et al. 1990, ISBN 3-17-009016-X (3rd edition, ibid 2001, ISBN 3-17-017225-5 ).
- Saints and Relics. The history of their cult from early Christianity to the present day. Beck, Munich 1994, ISBN 3-406-38096-4 (2nd, revised edition, ibid 1997, ISBN 3-406-42867-3 ).
- History of Religiosity in the Middle Ages. Primus-Verlag, Darmstadt 1997, ISBN 3-89678-017-4 (4th edition (corrected reprint of 3rd edition 2005). Ibid 2009, ISBN 978-3-89678-655-5 , review in the FAZ ).
- Mission to the Millennium. 313–1000 (= History of the Diocese of Münster. Vol. 1). Dialogverlag, Münster 1998, ISBN 3-933144-06-X .
- Liturgy and history. Was there an organic liturgy development? (= Quaestiones disputatae. Vol. 189). Herder, Freiburg (Breisgau) et al. 2001, ISBN 3-451-02189-7 .
- Basic forms of piety in the Middle Ages (= Encyclopedia of German History . Vol. 68). Oldenbourg, Munich 2003, ISBN 3-486-55703-3 (2nd, revised edition, ibid 2004, ISBN 3-486-55700-9 ; review in the FAZ ).
- Liturgy in the Middle Ages. Selected essays for his 70th birthday (= Aesthetics - Theology - Liturgy. Vol. 35). Edited by Thomas Flammer and Daniel Mayer. LIT, Münster et al. 2004, ISBN 3-8258-7505-9 (2nd edition, ibid 2005).
- Liudger. Missionary, abbot, bishop in the early Middle Ages. Aschendorff, Münster 2005, ISBN 3-402-03417-4 .
- Tolerance and violence. Christianity between the Bible and the sword. Aschendorff, Münster 2007, ISBN 978-3-402-00215-5 (5th, updated edition. Ibid. 2009; review in FAZ , review in ZEIT , review in taz ).
- The presence of saints and relics. Introduced and edited by Hubertus Lutterbach . With the collaboration of Sebastian Eck. Aschendorff, Münster 2010, ISBN 978-3-402-12836-7 .
- The Revolution of Spiritual Sacrifice. Blood - Scapegoat - Eucharist. Herder, Freiburg (Breisgau) et al. 2011, ISBN 978-3-451-30519-1 .
- Offertory. The medieval mass sacrifice (= liturgical scientific sources and research. Vol. 101). Aschendorff, Münster 2013, ISBN 978-3-402-11264-9 (3rd, corrected and expanded edition, ibid 2014).
- Marriage, Love, and Sexuality in Christianity. From the beginnings till now. Aschendorff, Münster 2015, ISBN 978-3-402-13146-6 .
- "Let both grow until the harvest". Tolerance in the History of Christianity. Aschendorff, Münster 2018, ISBN 978-3-402-13246-3 .
- History of the diocese of Münster. Dialogverlag, Münster 1998–2006.
- Erich Meuthen : Laudation for Prof. Dr. Arnold Angenendt at the 410th meeting on April 15, 1998. In: Jahrbuch. North Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences. 1998, , pp. 99-102.
- Christian Geyer : Of heaven and hell. For the seventieth birthday of the historian Arnold Angenendt. In: Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung , August 12, 2004, No. 186, p. 35.
- Joachim Frank: The mentality researcher. For the 80th birthday of the legendary church historian Arnold Angenendt. In: Frankfurter Rundschau , August 11, 2014, ( online ).
- Literature by and about Arnold Angenendt in the catalog of the German National Library
- Literature by and about Arnold Angenendt in the bibliographic database WorldCat
- Short biography and reviews of works by Arnold Angenendt at perlentaucher.de
- Publications by Arnold Angenendt in the Opac der Regesta Imperii
- Arnold Angenendt at the North Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences and Arts
- Norbert Frie: Prof. Angenendt becomes 65th Communication and Public Relations Office, Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster, August 11, 1999, accessed on August 10, 2021 .
- Arnold Angenendt: The Church's Fear of Sexuality. In: Sueddeutsche.de . February 8, 2011, accessed August 11, 2021 .
- Deutschlandfunk.de , day after day. From Religion and Society , May 16, 2016, in conversation with Andreas Main : "What amazing world do you live in ?!"
- Karin Wollschläger: Portrait on the death of the church historian. Arnold Angenendt: hard work, meticulousness and passion to the end. In: kathisch.de . August 10, 2021, accessed August 10, 2021 .
- Professor Dr. Arnold Everhard Angenendt turns 80 . On kirchensite.de, from July 30, 2014.
Church historian Arnold Angenendt has died. In: Katholisch.de , August 9, 2021. Accessed August 9, 2021.
At the age of 86. Church historian Arnold Angenendt dies. In: domradio.de , August 9, 2021. Accessed August 9, 2021.
- See the discussion in the Zeitschrift für Kirchengeschichte 111 (2000), p. 110.
- Institute for Advanced Study Princeton: Directory of Members. In: https://www.ias.edu/scholars/arnold-angenendt . Retrieved August 9, 2021 .
- Church historian Arnold Angenendt died | DOMRADIO.DE. Retrieved August 9, 2021 .
- Arnold Angenendt: Curriculum Vitae. Retrieved August 9, 2021 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Angenendt, Arnold Everhard (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German priest, Roman Catholic theologian and church historian|
|BIRTH DATE||August 12, 1934|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Goch|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 8, 2021|
|PLACE OF DEATH||Muenster|