View over the city in south direction
Location Benxis in Liaoning Province
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|structure||4 city districts, 2 autonomous counties|
|Metropolitan area||8435 km²|
|density||1,115.1 Ew. / km²|
|Metropolitan area||202.7 Ew. / km²|
|Telephone code||(+86) 24|
|Time zone||China Standard Time (CST)
|License Plate||辽 E|
Benxi ( Chinese 本溪 市 , Pinyin Běnxī Shì ) is a district-free city in the northeast Chinese province of Liaoning . It has an area of 8,435 km² and a population of 1,555,000 (2010). In terms of population, Benxi is the second smallest prefecture-level city in the province.
- District Pingshan (平山区), 177 square kilometers, 350,000 inhabitants;
- Xihu District (溪湖 区), 320 km², 220,000 inhabitants;
- Mingshan District (明 山区), 410 km², 300,000 inhabitants;
- City district Nanfen (南芬 区), 619 km², 80,000 inhabitants;
- Benxi Autonomous County of Manju (本溪 满族 自治县), 3,362 km², 300,000 inhabitants, main town: Xiaoshi municipality (小 市镇);
- Huanren Autonomous County of Manju (桓仁 满族 自治县), 3,547 km², 300,000 inhabitants, main town: Huanren Municipality (桓仁 镇).
The city was founded in 1915 as an industrial city. Today Benxi is an important mining and industrial center . There are large deposits of coal near the city, which led to the construction of Bengang , the largest plant for the production of special steel in China.