|Height :||740 m above sea level A.|
|Area :||718 km²|
|Residents :||31,210 (2011)|
|Population density :||43 inhabitants / km²|
|Telephone code :||(+355) 219|
|Postal code :||8401-8402|
|Politics and administration (as of 2019 )|
|Mayor :||Lefter Alla ( PS )|
View of the old district and the mine (2005)
Bulqiza ( Albanian also Bulqizë ) is a small town in eastern Albania . In addition, the valley in which the village is located is also called this. Some villages in the vicinity also have Bulqiza as an addition to their name. The city has 8177 inhabitants (2011). The local authorities, on the other hand, give a significantly higher number of 12,323 inhabitants (2014).
Population and society
In recent years, as in many other rural areas of Albania, the population has declined significantly. The majority of the population is Muslim , a large part of them are Bektashi . In this parish is the medieval Tekke of Peshku .
There are two primary and one middle schools in Bulqiza.
The place is on the SH6 , which leads from the coastal plain near Milot via Burrel to Peshkopia , and at around At the end of a deep valley, the bottom of which is wide and shallow. This enables the creation of a raised bog and a few small lakes . A few kilometers west of Bulqiza the valley ends at high pass Qafa e Buallit . The mountain Maja e Dhoksit ( ) rises above the city to the south .
The urban areas of the city are limited to different quarters on both sides of the valley, which are separated by the wetlands in the middle of the valley. The old part of the city on the south side is the center of the place. The new district on the north side was built as a dormitory city, since houses threatened to collapse after the mining activities.
Until 2015, the area of the municipality of Bulqiza was divided into the following municipalities:
|Surname||Population (2011)||Community type|
Fushë-Bulqiza is a little further east in the valley. Further down, Zerqan follows on the southern side of the valley. At the end of the valley, Shupenza is on the northwest side of the river. Gjorica is on the opposite side of the river. Ostren is further south towards Librazhd . To the east of it lies Trebisht between the border with North Macedonia . The Martanesh region is located southwest of Bulqiza across the Qafa e Buallit in the south of the Mat Valley.
The name Bulqiza was first mentioned in writing in 1467.
Chromium was discovered in Bulqiza in 1948 . Already two years later the dismantling began with Soviet help. Only then did a small village become a town in which a factory for crushing the ore was built.
The Bulqiza mine is considered to be the largest in Albania. Nonetheless, after the end of the communist regime in 1991, production collapsed and a large proportion of the workforce had to be laid off. In late August 2007, the main mine was temporarily closed by the authorities after four workers lost their lives while on the job within two months.
Today, in many small mines around Bulqiza, chromium is extracted with the simplest means, with accidents and deaths occurring again and again. The Austrian mining company DCM has been the operator of the main mine since 2007 and employs around 700 people, who repeatedly strike because of inadequate working conditions and low wages. A Canadian mining company is also active in and around Bulqiza. In the district of Dibra work around 1100 people as miners, mostly in Bulqiza and environment.
Melaim Damzi has been the mayor of the Bashkia of Bulqiza since 2015 . The Bashkia Council has 21 members.
- Official website of Bashkia Bulqiza (Albanian)
- Development plan for the municipality of Bulqiza (Albanian; PDF; 709 kB)
- Axel Kronholm: Murder, Misery and Children in Albania's Mining Industry (Vice, June 4, 2014, English)
- Ines Nurja: Censusi i popullsisë dhe banesave / Population and Housing Census - Dibër 2011 . Results Kryesore / Main Results. Ed .: INSTAT . Pjesa / Part 1. Adel Print, Tirana 2013 ( instat.gov.al [PDF; accessed April 14, 2019]).
- Popullsia e Qarkut Diber January 2014. (XLS) In: Këshilli i Qarkut Dibër. Retrieved December 3, 2015 (Albanian).
- Bashkia Bulqizë: Plani strategjik i zhvillimit 2008–2013. (PDF; 709 kB) In: Këshilli i Qarkut Dibër. Archived from the original on December 27, 2015 ; Retrieved August 24, 2012 (Albanian).
- Site Visit to Empire's Bulqiza Chromite Project. (PDF) (No longer available online.) In: Empire Mining Corp. November 22, 2010, archived from the original on March 4, 2016 ; accessed on December 24, 2015 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Albanian miner dies in chrome mine blast. Reuters, October 18, 2011, accessed October 18, 2011 .
- DCM. Retrieved October 18, 2011 .
- Empire Mining Corporation. (No longer available online.) Archived from the original on October 29, 2011 ; accessed on October 18, 2011 (English). Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Anëtarët - Bashkia Bulqizë. Bulqiza.gov.al, accessed September 30, 2017 (Albanian).