After studying at the University of Hamburg and the Free University of Berlin , Christof Römer became a research assistant at the Berlin University of Education in 1964 . In 1970 he received his doctorate with the dissertation published in Göttingen, The Mountains Monastery near Magdeburg and its villages 968-1565. A contribution to the history of the Archbishopric of Magdeburg about in Magdeburg located Klosterbergegarten . From 1974, Christof Römer was head curator for the regional history department at the Braunschweigisches Landesmuseum . In 2001 he retired.
In 1991 he was appointed Vice President of the Central German Cultural Council, as such he was a. a. responsible for the publication of the Central German Yearbook . He was a member of the Harz Association for History and Archeology and published the Harz Journal from 1991 and Harz Research from 1999 . In 1996 he was elected chairman of the Harz Association. He held this office and the editing of the Harz-Zeitschrift until 2011. Then he was elected honorary member and later also honorary chairman of the Harz Association. He lived in Braunschweig .
Christof Römer became known through a variety of publications on the history of the Harz Mountains, Lower Saxony and Saxony-Anhalt as well as the history of the Benedictine monasteries in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Saxony-Anhalt, Thuringia and Saxony. His main works include u. a .:
- with Ute Römer-Johannsen: 800 years of St. Aegidien. Liebfrauenmünster of the Catholic Propsteigemeinde St. Nicolai in Braunschweig (= publications of the Braunschweigisches Landesmuseum. 22, ). Catholic Propsteipfarramt St. Nicolai, Braunschweig 1979.
- Braunschweig. Part I in: Thomas Klein (Ed.): Outline of German administrative history 1815–1945. Row B, Volume 16: Central Germany (Smaller Countries). Johann Gottfried Herder Institute, Marburg (Lahn) 1981, ISBN 3-87969-131-2 , pp. 1-92.
- The Brunswick lion. Welfish heraldic animal and monument (= publications by the Braunschweigisches Landesmuseum. 32). Braunschweigisches Landesmuseum, Braunschweig 1982.
- Schöningen - the eastern royal seat of the Principality of Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel (= contributions to the history of the district and the former University of Helmstedt. 5, ). District of Helmstedt, Helmstedt 1982.
- as editor: The Cistercian monastery Mariental near Helmstedt. 1138-1988. Deutscher Kunstverlag, Munich 1988, ISBN 3-422-06022-7 .
- as editor: County and Principality of Blankenburg in the Middle Ages and early modern times (= Harz-Zeitschrift. Vol. 45, 1, ). Harz Association for History and Archeology, Braunschweig 1993.
- Enlightenment in the state of Braunschweig. Facets and Phases 1735-1789 (1991). In: Rainer Riemenschneider (Ed.): Pictures of a Revolution. The French Revolution in the history textbooks of the world (= studies on international textbook research. 78). Diesterweg et al., Frankfurt am Main et al. 1994, ISBN 3-88304-278-1 , pp. 629-639.
- St. Liudger in Helmstedt. Benedictine monastery and Catholic parish church. = St. Ludgeri Helmstedt (= great architectural monuments. 329, ). Deutscher Kunstverlag, Munich et al. 1980.
- as editor: Anhaltischer Harz. Profiles and culture of a historical landscape from the High Middle Ages to the 19th century (= Harz-Forschungen. 12, ). Harz Association for History and Archeology and others, Wernigerode and others in 2000.
- as editor: Evangelical regional churches of the Harz territories in the early modern period (= Harz research. 15). Lukas-Verlag, Berlin 2003, ISBN 3-931836-78-9 .
- The Counts of Regenstein-Blankenburg as the state of the empire and the Lower Saxony district. In: Heinz A. Behrens (ed.): Between the claim to power and debt service. Contributions to the history of the County of Regenstein. Bussert & Stadeler, Jena et al. 2004, ISBN 3-932906-48-9 , pp. 73-90.
- Alexandri, Caspar, Dr. jur. In: Horst-Rüdiger Jarck , Dieter Lent et al. (Ed.): Braunschweigisches Biographisches Lexikon - 8th to 18th century . Appelhans Verlag, Braunschweig 2006, ISBN 3-937664-46-7 , p. 37 .
- From “Scholasticism” to Enlightenment. Scientific culture in the Benedictine monastery of St. Peter in Erfurt 1661–1803. Erich Donnert (Ed.): Europe in the early modern times. Festschrift for Günter Mühlpfordt. Volume 7. Böhlau, Cologne et al. 2008, ISBN 978-3-412-10702-4 , pp. 153-167.
- with Monika Lücke : The Benedictine monasteries in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Saxony-Anhalt, Thuringia and Saxony (= Germania Benedictina . 10, 1–2). 2 volumes. EOS, St. Ottilien 2012, ISBN 978-3-8306-7571-6 .
- Huysburg. Historical overview. Volume 1. pp. 627-648.
- Beginning in Halberstadt, not in Osterwieck - on the invention of a founding history of the diocese. In: Harz-Zeitschrift. Vol. 67, 2015, pp. 13–26, ( limited preview in Google Book Search).
- Bernd Feicke : On the 70th birthday of Dr. Christof Römer. In: Harz-Zeitschrift. 58, 2006, pp. 10–22, (with bibliography; digitized version (PDF; 305.24 KB) ).
- Jörg Brückner : “Ad multos annos”. The honorary chairman Dr. Christof Römer on his 80th birthday. In: Harz-Zeitschrift. 68, 2016, pp. 235–237, (with bibliography).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German regional historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 18, 1936|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Lübeck|
|DATE OF DEATH||17th May 2017|