Erwin Faul (born May 16, 1923 in Mannheim ) is a German political scientist . For many years he was editor -in- chief and publisher of the Politische Vierteljahresschrift and held professorships at the Ruhr University Bochum and the University of Trier .
From 1945 to 1952 he studied sociology , political economy, German constitutional law, psychology, philosophy and history in Heidelberg. There he heard lectures from Karl Jaspers , Willy Hellpach , Alfred Weber , Erich Preiser , Gustav Radbruch and Walter Jellinek, among others . 1951 Faul at was Ruprecht-Karls-University of Heidelberg with a thesis on The situation of modern Machiavellianism to Dr. phil. doctorate, a "walk through the history of ideas ". The Weber student later switched to political science ; he soon became interested in empirical research . From 1952 to 1957 he was an employee or assistant of the "Research Group for Politics at the Alfred Weber Institute for Social and Political Sciences in Heidelberg", which was headed by Dolf Sternberger . He then worked as a research assistant at the Heidelberg Institute for Political Science. From 1958 Faul was a lecturer at the University of Heidelberg.
In 1970 he became a full professor of political science at the Department of Social Science (from 1973 also part of the Department of History) at the Ruhr University in Bochum . In the meantime he also served as Vice Dean of the Department of Social Science. He declined to teach at the universities in Cologne and Heidelberg. In 1977 he moved from Bochum to Department III (Political Science) at Trier University , like many Heidelberg political scientists during this time. His academic students include: a. Uwe Backes , Winand Gellner , Norbert Lammert and Rainer-Olaf Schultze .
In 1953 he became editor of the magazine Der Voter. Journal of the German voter society . From 1960 he was the mid-1960s, board member of the German Association of Political Science was the first (DVPW) and to 1973 in the only responsible editor (editor in chief) of the West German publishing house appearing Political Quarterly , which he issued on behalf of the Political Science Association. In 1979 he resigned from office due to restructuring. His declared goal was to proceed as follows when setting topics: political theory (30 percent), domestic politics (50 percent) and international politics (20 percent). According to Wilhelm Bleek, "[he] gave the magazine a great reputation in the German and international specialist public". In 1983 he was one of the founding members of the German Society for Political Science (DGfP). His articles and reviews have appeared among others. a. in the yearbook Extremism & Democracy , in the Cologne journal for sociology and social psychology , in journalism , in the quarterly journal for contemporary history and in the journal for politics .
Faul was a signatory of the “Memorandum of German Catholics on Polish-German Issues”.
Today he lives in Zerf near Trier.
- with Christian-Claus Baer: elections between East and West. Contributions to the problem of all-German elections . Bollwerk-Verlagsgesellschaft, Frankfurt am Main 1954.
- (Ed.): Elections and voters in West Germany. A font from the German Voting Society . Ring-Verlag, Villingen 1960.
- Modern Machiavellianism (= Political Research . Vol. 1). With a foreword by Dolf Sternberger , Kiepenheuer & Witsch, Cologne a. a. 1961.
- Rupert Breitling, Winand Gellner (ed.): Political studies. On the 65th birthday of Erwin Faul, University of Trier . Maisch and Queck, Gerlingen 1988.
- Literature by and about Erwin Faul in the catalog of the German National Library
- Results on Erwin Faul at the social science specialist portal Sowiport
- Erwin Faul at the German Society for Political Science
- ↑ a b c d e See About the authors: Peter Haungs (Ed.): Res publica. Constitutional Studies. Dolf Sternberger on his 70th birthday . Fink, Munich 1977, ISBN 3-7705-1602-8 , p. 468.
- ↑ Gisela Bock : Meinecke, Machiavelli and National Socialism . In: Gisela Bock, Daniel Schönpflug (Ed.): Friedrich Meinecke in his time. Studies on life and work (= Pallas Athene . Vol. 19). Steiner, Stuttgart 2006, ISBN 978-3-515-08962-3 , pp. 145-175, here: p. 170.
- ↑ Eberhard Demm : From the Weimar Republic to the Federal Republic. Alfred Weber's political path 1920–1958 (= writings of the Federal Archives . 51). Droste, Düsseldorf 1999, ISBN 3-7700-1605-X , p. 348.
- ↑ M. Rainer Lepsius : The Development of Sociology After the Second World War 1945 to 1967 . In: Günther Lüschen (Ed.): German Sociology since 1945. Development directions and practical relevance (= Cologne journal for sociology and social psychology . Vol. 21). Westdeutscher Verlag, Opladen 1979, ISBN 3-531-11479-4 , pp. 25–70, here: p. 56.
- ↑ Deviatingly referred to as “Research Group for Politics at the Alfred Weber Institute for Social Sciences in Heidelberg”: Hans J. Lietzmann : Integration und Verfassungs. Or: Is there a Heidelberg School of Political Science? . In: Wilhelm Bleek , Hans J. Lietzmann (ed.): Schools of German political science . Leske and Budrich, Opladen 1999, ISBN 3-8100-2116-4 , pp. 245-267, here: p. 251.
- ↑ Heinz Köstering (Ed.): The Federal Republic of Germany State Handbook: State Edition of North Rhine-Westphalia . Heymanns, Cologne a. a. 1976, ISBN 3-452-18199-5 , p. 181.
- ↑ See Biographical Notes: Erwin Faul, Christian-Claus Baer: Elections between East and West. Contributions to the problem of all-German elections . Bollwerk-Verlagsgesellschaft, Frankfurt am Main 1954, p. 71.
- ^ Gerhard Lehmbruch : Perceptions of the DVPW in the sixties . In: Jürgen W. Falter , Felix W. Wurm (Hrsg.): Political science in the Federal Republic of Germany. 50 years of DVPW . Westdeutscher Verlag, Wiesbaden 2003, ISBN 3-531-13815-4 , pp. 21–28, here: p. 23.
- ↑ Arno Mohr: The implementation of political science at German universities and the development of the German Association for Political Science . In: Klaus von Beyme (ed.): Political science in the Federal Republic of Germany. Development problems of a discipline (= Political Quarterly Journal . Special Issue 17). Westdeutscher Verlag, Opladen 1986, ISBN 3-531-11830-7 , pp. 62–77, here: p. 72.
- ^ Hiltrud Naßmacher : Political Science (= textbooks and handbooks of political science ). 6th revised and updated edition, Oldenbourg, Munich 2010, ISBN 978-3-486-59759-2 , p. 527.
- ^ Wilhelm Bleek : History of Political Science in Germany . Beck, Munich 2001, ISBN 3-406-47173-0 , p. 358.
- ↑ Ulrike Quadbeck: Karl Dietrich Bracher and the beginnings of Bonn political science (= Nomos-Universitätsschriften, Geschichte . Volume 19). Nomos, Baden-Baden 2008, ISBN 978-3-8329-3740-9 , p. 258.
- ^ Bensberger Kreis (ed.): A memorandum of German Catholics on the Polish-German questions . 2nd revised edition, Matthias-Grünewald-Verlag, Mainz 1968, p. 26.
- ↑ Faculty III: Emeritus and Retired Professors , uni-trier.de, accessed on January 22, 2016.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German political scientist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 16, 1923|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Mannheim|