Franz Ziegler (politician, 1803)
Born the thirteenth child of a pastor, he studied law in Halle (Saale) and became a lawyer . The king appointed him in 1840 to the proposal from the city council to mayor of the city of Brandenburg an der Havel . He was an excellent organizer, perhaps the greatest administrative talent the Prussian state possessed in its day. ( Franz Mehring )
As Lord Mayor, he first issued detailed regulations for the course of business of the magistrate and the municipal council - to clearly delimit the branches of service and to deal with business on time. By tightening the police force , he restored the neglected order in the city and the surrounding area. With the establishment of a forced labor institution (so-called poor house) demanded by the government and strict supervision of work-shy rabble, he emptied the street of beggars and prostitutes . Then he arranged the cash and accounting . His reform of the income tax - at this time the city levied numerous small municipal taxes (sowing, meadows, cattle and a graduated income tax) - led to persistent hostility and denunciations of the city councilors . From the income of the city he organized a communal poor relief .
Franz Ziegler was the first Lord Mayor to put the work of the city administration under a certain amount of public control by publishing the Treasury Act of 1844, thereby making the city government accountable to the population it represents. The first public meeting of city councilors took place at Ziegler's instigation on February 11, 1848 in the pub of the citizens' association (Gems), in which the magistrate could now also take part as part of the public.
In 1848 he was elected a member of the Prussian National Assembly and in 1849 the Second Chamber . The opponent for the constituency of Brandenburg was the later Chancellor Otto von Bismarck . As a member of the Prussian National Assembly he voted the refusal to pay taxes to and was therefore due to high treason and sedition accused and the only one of the participating in the decision imprisonment convicted and removed from office as mayor.
After serving his sentence, he settled in Berlin . In 1864 he was elected a member of the Prussian House of Representatives , in 1867 a member of the North German and in 1871 and 1874 of the German Reichstag . He joined the Progressive Party , from whose party politics he parted only in 1866, before the start of the war between Prussia and Austria , by declaring in a speech in Breslau with determination that Prussia's power and honor would be preserved through a war.
- How can the artisan class be helped? Leipzig 1850
- On the social reform of the Prussian tax system . Berlin 1850
- Nondum . David, Berlin 1860 digitized version of the BSB
- Landwehrmann krille. Story from the time of the wars of liberation . Berlin 1865 (new edition: Breslau: Priebatsch 1912)
- Capitol beggars . Berlin 1869
- Collected novels and letters from Italy . Duncker, Berlin 1872, (3 volumes)
- Collected speeches . Berlin 1879
- Collected speeches by Franz Ziegler, former member of the House of Representatives and Reichstag f. Breslau, Lord Mayor v. Brandenburg . Berlin 1880 (editor: Franziska von Béguelin), PDF
- Sowing and harvesting . In: German Novellenschatz . Edited by Paul Heyse and Hermann Kurz. Vol. 24, 2nd ed. Berlin, , pp. 129-196. In: Weitin, Thomas (Ed.): Fully digitized corpus. The German Novellenschatz . Darmstadt / Konstanz, 2016. Digitized and full text in the German text archive
- Brandenburg novellas . Edited by Olaf Leonhardt. Golzow 2010 ISBN 978-3-8391-8249-9
- Max Hippe: Ziegler, Franz . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 45, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1900, p. 167 f.
- Ferdinand Friedrich Weichsel : The Ziegler process. Negotiations in the matter of investigation against the mayor Ziegler before the jury of Brandenburg . Dänsch, Magdeburg 1850
- Karl Jaenicke: The Volksmann Franz Ziegler. Lecture given at the Wroclaw Liberal People's Association "Franz Ziegler" Glogau . Lower Silesian Gazette 1895 (1 portrait)
- Franz Mehring : The Lessing legend. On the history and criticism of Prussian despotism and classical literature . 4th edition, Dietz, Stuttgart 1913, p. 37 ff.
- Otto Tschirch : History of the Chur and capital Brandenburg on the Havel . Eleventh book. Wiesike, Brandenburg 1928
- Helmut Richter : The old Prussian democratic politician and narrator Franz Ziegler (1803–1876). A chapter from the history of the literature of the Mark Brandenburg . In: Berliner Hefte on the history of literary life. Volume 2, 1998, pp. 31-64,
- Contributions by Guido Weiss and Ferdinand Friedrich Weichsel. In: Franz Ziegler: Brandenburgische Novellen. Edited by Olaf Leonhardt. Golzow 2010, ISBN 978-3-8391-8249-9 .
Franz-Ziegler-Strasse in Brandenburg an der Havel bears his name. The street was renamed Kaiser-Friedrich-Straße during the Nazi era.
- Literature by and about Franz Ziegler in the catalog of the German National Library
- Franz Ziegler in the database of members of the Reichstag
- Otto Tschirch : History of the Chur and capital Brandenburg on the Havel in two volumes . Wiesike, Brandenburg an der Havel 1928, eleventh book. P. 267
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Ziegler, Franz Wilhelm (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German writer and politician (DFP), MdR|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 3, 1803|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Warsaw , Jerichowscher Kreis , Duchy of Magdeburg|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 1, 1876|
|Place of death||Berlin|