George Joshua Richard Monbiot (born January 27, 1963 ) is a British journalist , author , university lecturer , environmentalist and political activist . His column appears weekly in The Guardian newspaper .
Monbiot comes from a conservative, wealthy family. His grandfather Gresham Cooke was already a Conservative MP , his father Raymond Monbiot is vice chairman of the Conservative Party , and his mother Rosalie, also Conservative, headed the Oxford district for over 10 years .
After graduating, Monbiot worked as an investigative journalist and traveled through countries such as Indonesia , Brazil and East Africa as part of his research . In publications dealing with his travel experiences, he denounced human rights abuses and environmental degradation in regions such as western New Guinea and the Amazon . His activities led some states to declare him persona non grata and he was sentenced to life imprisonment in absentia in Indonesia.
After his return, Monbiot joined the movement critical of globalization. 1995 awarded him Nelson Mandela the Global 500 Award of the United Nations . He also won the Lloyds National Screenwriting Prize for his feature film The Norwegian , the Sony Award for Radio Production, the Sir Peter Kent Award and the OneWorld National Press Award .
Monbiot has taught - as a visiting professor or as a fellow - at various universities, for example at the University of Oxford (environmental policy), the University of Bristol (philosophy), Keele University (politics), Oxford Brookes University (department of planning ) and the University of East London (environmental science). He also sits on the advisory committee of BBC Wildlife Magazine.
Originally Monbiot was involved with George Galloway in the British "Respect" party , but dropped out when Respect decided to run against the Green Party of England and Wales in the 2004 European Parliament elections.
Monbiot is married to Angharad Penrhyn Jones. In 2012 his second daughter was born.
Opinions and controversies
Monbiot considers global warming to be one of the most important challenges facing the generation living now. He made it clear that he also considers the emission of climate-damaging gases to be the decisive factor when deciding for or against power plant technology (including nuclear energy ) or when handling biofuels.
This opinion, seen as an endorsement of nuclear power, sparked a heated debate with British union leader Arthur Scargill . Monbiot continued to advocate the use of nuclear energy after the nuclear accidents in Fukushima (Japan) .
- Non-fiction books in German
- 1996: nomad land. The struggle for survival of the nomads of East Africa. (en: 1994) Marino, Munich 1996, ISBN 3-92752770X .
- 2003: United People. Manifesto for a new world order. (en: 2003) Riemann, Munich 2003, ISBN 3-570500462 .
- 2007: heat. How we prevent the earth from heating up and becoming uninhabitable. (en: 2006) Riemann, Munich 2007, ISBN 3-570500829 .
- Books in English
- 1989: Poisoned Arrows. An Investigative Journey Through Indonesia. Abacus, 1989, ISBN 0-718131533 .
- 1991: Amazon Watershed. Abacus, 1991, ISBN 0-718134281 .
- 1992: Mahogany is Murder. Mahogany Extraction from Indian Reserves in Brazil. 1992, ISBN 1-857501608 .
- 1994: No Man's Land. An Investigative Journey Through Kenya and Tanzania. Picador, 1994, ISBN 0-333601637 .
- 2000: Captive State. The Corporate Takeover of Britain. Macmillan, 2000, ISBN 0-333901649 .
- 2001: Anti-capitalism. A Guide to the Movement. Bookmarks, 2001, ISBN 1-898876789 .
- 2003: The Age of Consent. A manifesto for a new world order. Flamingo, 2003, ISBN 0-007150423 .
- 2004: Manifesto for a New World Order. New Press, 2004, ISBN 1-565849086 .
- 2006: Heat. How to Stop the Planet Burning. Allen Lane, 2006.
- 2008: Bring on the Apocalypse. Six Arguments for Global Justice. Atlantic Books, 2008, ISBN 978-1843546566 .
- Article and foreword
- Foreword in: Belen Balanya: Europe Inc. - Regional and Global Restructuring and the Rise of Corporate Power. Pluto Press, 2003, ISBN 0-745321631 .
- At last, a law to stop almost anyone from doing almost anything . Article dated January 6, 2014. In: Guardian . Retrieved April 11, 2014.
- Like oil, political courage seems to have peaked . Article dated February 26, 2008. On: Chinadialogue.net . Retrieved April 11, 2014.
- The UK's new coal age . Article dated January 3, 2008. On: Chinadialogue.net . Retrieved April 11, 2014.
- Fossil fuel-free in 20 years? . Article dated July 12, 2007. On: Chinadialogue.net . Retrieved April 11, 2014.
- Blind faith in oil growth . Article dated June 8, 2007. On: Chinadialogue.net . Retrieved April 11, 2014.
- Interview by Caspar Henderson: Turning up the heat . Article dated November 2, 2006. On: Chinadialogue.net . Retrieved April 11, 2014.
- Literature by and about George Monbiot in the catalog of the German National Library
- George Monbiot - official website
- George Monbiot's Guardian column ( August 13, 2001 memento in the Internet Archive ) with archives
- Texts by George Monbiot in German translation in ZNet ( Memento from December 29, 2011 in the Internet Archive )
- Video clips of George Monbiot on Big Picture TV
- Interview in the English 'Nerve' magazine
- Archive link ( Memento of the original from April 18, 2006 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Raymond Monbiot CBE, The Daily Telegraph , May 25, 1996
- The Daily Telegraph, May 25, 1996
- The Guardian - George Monbiot Profile
-  How green will his valley be? (How green will his valley be), The Sunday Times, Nov. 12, 2006.
- George Monbiot: Daughter, my generation is squandering your birthright , in: The Guardian , April 16, 2012
- Coal isn't the climate enemy, Mr Monbiot. It's the solution We must draw on existing resources as part of an integrated energy policy, not flirt with nuclear, the most dangerous option. By Arthur Scargill. In The Guardian, Aug. 8, 2008
- Old King Coal is a brave old soul, but he is talking utter nonsense. Arthur Scargill's nostalgia would punish the people he cares about. And as for his room-full-of-radiation challenge? I accept. By George Monbiot. In The Guardian, Aug. 12, 2008
- Why Fukushima made me stop worrying and love nuclear power George Monbiot, The Guardian, March 21, 2011
- Text of the arrest or application for an arrest warrant on Monbiot's blog
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Monbiot, George Joshua Richard (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British journalist, author, academic, environmentalist, political activist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 27, 1963|