As the son of the businessman Karl Ludwig Cholevius and his wife Amalie geb. Cholevius attended high school in Rastenburg . Since the summer semester of 1833 he studied philology and history at the Albertus University in Königsberg , especially with Friedrich Wilhelm Schubert . In the same semester he became a member of the Corps Masovia . After the exam pro facultate docendi (1837) and the probationary year in Rastenburg , he came to the Kneiphöfische Gymnasium in Königsberg in 1839 as an assistant teacher . In the same year he became a full teacher and in 1857 a high school professor . Paul Schlenther and Ernst Wichert are among his students .
The main focus of his work was the German-language literature of the 18th and 19th centuries, Johann Gottfried Herder , German poetry , the German novel of the 17th century and the literature of East Prussia . Cholevius was a member of the Royal German Society (Königsberg) . For John Koch he was a "author of once highly valued works on German literature and German teaching [...] a stout, jovial old man and a strong sniff" .
- Dr. phil. hc of the Albertus University (1862)
- Leo Cholevius scholarship for students at the Kneiphöfschen Gymnasium
- Dispositions and materials for German essays , 2 volumes. Leipzig 1860–1862, 10th edition 1886–1887
- Practical instructions for writing German essays . Leipzig 1868, 6th edition 1893
- History of German poetry according to its ancient elements , 2 volumes. Leipzig 1854-1856
- About Hercules and Valiska's miracle story by AH Bucholtz . Koenigsberg 1864
- The most important German novels of the 17th century . Leipzig 1866 Google Books (a pioneering work in the field of baroque research )
- Aesthetic and historical introduction along with a continuous explanation of Goethe's Hermann and Dorothea . Leipzig 1863, 3rd edition 1897 Google Books
- Edward Schröder: Cholevius, Karl Leo . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 47, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1903, pp. 478-480.
- Cholevius, Karl Leo . In: Brockhaus Konversations-Lexikon 1894–1896, Volume 4, p. 260.
- Christoph König (Ed.), With the collaboration of Birgit Wägenbaur u. a .: Internationales Germanistenlexikon 1800–1950 . Volume 1: A-G. De Gruyter, Berlin / New York 2003, ISBN 3-11-015485-4 , p. 331 ( limited preview in the Google book search).
- Literature by and about Leo Cholevius in the catalog of the German National Library
- Digital copies
- Leo Cholevius in WorldCat
- Kösener corps lists 1910, 89/181
- List of all members of the Corps Masovia 1823 to 2005 . Potsdam 2006.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Cholevius, Karl Leo (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German teacher and literary historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 11, 1814|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Barten , East Prussia|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 13, 1878|
|Place of death||Koenigsberg i. Pr.|