She attended the theater school in Prague and the Max Reinhardt seminar in Vienna. In 1935 she made her debut at the Landestheater Linz and one year later moved to the Theater an der Wien . In 1937 she played at the city theater in Brno , from 1938 she was part of the ensemble of the Vienna Burgtheater . During this time she became a major stage actress. She was the glory in George Bernard Shaw's Man can never know (1939), Wlasta in Franz Grillparzer's Libussa (1941), Elisabeth in Friedrich Schiller's Don Carlos (1942), Prothoe in Heinrich von Kleist's Penthesilea (1943) and Portia in Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice (1943).
At the age of 19 she played in first films, e.g. B. in Lumpacivagabundus with Heinz Rühmann the Amorosa. However, she only became famous in 1940 when she played the singer Marie Geistinger in the historical film Operetta under the direction of Willi Forst . She celebrated a similar success the following year, when she, again under Forst's direction, was the focus of the operetta film Wiener Blut .
Maria Holst married the painter and graphic artist Eugen Graf Ledebur in 1944 . After the divorce in 1954, she was married to the Berlin doctor Rudolf Röttger (1919–1976). The daughter Elisabeth (* 1957) emerged from this marriage.
In 1980 she tragically suffocated while eating. Maria Holst's grave is in the Heerstrasse cemetery in the Westend district of Berlin (grave location: I-Ur-51). She rests there by her second husband, who died in 1976.
- 1933: Invisible opponents
- 1936: Lumpacivagabundus
- 1936: Burgtheater
- 1940: operetta
- 1942: Viennese blood
- 1944: dog days
- 1949: fairy tales of happiness
- 1949: murder trial of Dr. Jordan
- 1949: The trip to Marrakech
- 1950: Hunted by the devil
- 1951: The heather is green
- 1951: Under the spell of the Madonna
- 1951: When the evening bells ring
- 1952: You mustn't ask my heart
- 1952: A thousand red roses bloom
- 1953: We'll talk about love later
- 1953: Kaiserwalzer
- 1954: The sweetest fruits
- 1954: roses from the south
- 1954: way into the past
- 1955: a man forgets love
- 1956: love that loses its head
- 1956: a heart returns home
- 1956: The Trapp family
- 1958: It was the first love
- 1959: Decoy of the night
- other information 1915
- Hans-Jürgen Mende : Lexicon of Berlin burial places . Pharus-Plan, Berlin 2018, ISBN 978-3-86514-206-1 . P. 488.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Czizek, Maria (maiden name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian theater and film actress|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 2, 1917|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 8, 1980|
|Place of death||Salzburg|