Toeppen attended the Collegium Fridericianum . After graduating from high school, he studied ancient languages and history at the Albertus University in Königsberg . His teachers were Christian August Lobeck , Wilhelm Drumann , Friedrich Wilhelm Schubert and Karl Rosenkranz . On April 22, 1843 he received the Facultas docendi in history, geography, ancient and German. A week later he was promoted to Dr. phil. PhD . After the probationary year at the Friedrichskollegium, he was an assistant teacher there from Michaelis 1845 to Easter 1848. At the same time he completed his habilitation on January 20, 1847 at the Albertina. But then he decided to work as a practical schoolboy. He came at Easter 1848 as an assistant teacher at the grammar school in Elbing, Michaelis in 1850 as a full teacher at the Friedrich-Wilhelms-Gymnasium (Posen) . After three years he was transferred to the municipal secondary school in Poznan as the second senior teacher. Michaelis In 1854 he came to Hohenstein as director of the Progymnasium . After he had expanded this school through the establishment of a secondary and prima school to a complete high school, he received the Kgl on September 16, 1858. Patent as high school director. From 1869 to 1882 he headed the Marienwerder grammar school . From 1882 to 1893 he headed the grammar school in Elbing. He retired from this position at Easter 1893.
Toeppen dealt intensively with the history of Prussia . He has authored several books and was co-editor of the Scriptores rerum Prussicarum (1861–1874) and the collection of sources, files of the Ständetage Prussia under the rule of the Teutonic Order (1878–1886).
- Prussia Antiquities Society (since the foundation in 1845)
- Historical Association for Warmia (1858)
- Association for Hanseatic History (since it was founded in 1871)
- Association for the History of the Province of Prussia (1873)
- Red Eagle Order IV Class (January 12, 1869)
- Honorary member of three Old Prussian and two Livonian regional historical societies
- Honorary citizen of Elbing
- The founding of the University of Königsberg and the life of its first rector Georg Sabinus . Königsberg 1844 ( 311 pages ).
- The last traces of paganism in Prussia. Using some handwritten sources. In: Prussian provincial sheets . Volume 2 Königsberg 1846, pp. 210-228 , pp. 294-303 , pp. 311-344.
- About a poem from the 16th century concerning the history of Elbing . In: Neue Preußische Provinzial-Blätter , Volume IV. Königsberg 1847, pp. 153–156 ( E-Copy ).
- On the history of the estate relations in Prussia. (Especially according to the state parliament acts) . In: Historical paperback , edited by Friedrich von Raumer . New series, 8th year, Leipzig 1847, pp. 301–492 ( E-Kope ).
- The Germans in Livonia or History of the Introduction of Christianity and the Establishment of German Rule in Livonia . In: New Prussian Provincial Papers . Volume 5, Königsberg 1848, pp. 161-184 , pp. 360-373 and pp. 408-428.
- The division of the diocese of Samland and the hypothesis about Witland. A contribution to the chorography of old Prussia . In: New Prussian Provincial Papers . Volume 10. Koenigsberg 1850, pp. 161-187.
- Something about the parish of Heiligenkreuz . In: New Prussian Provincial Papers . Volume 10. Koenigsberg 1850, pp. 193-195.
- Historical and chorographic remarks about the fresh spit and the great Werder . In: New Prussian Provincial Papers . Another episode, Volume 1, Königsberg 1852.
- History of Prussian historiography from P. Dusburg to K. Schütz . Or evidence and criticism of the printed and unprinted chronicles on the history of Prussia under the rule of the Teutonic Order . Berlin 1853 ( full text , 290 pages).
- History of the office and the city of Hohenstein . 1854 (132 pages).
- Prussia in pagan times. Pomesania, Pogesania and Ermeland . In: New Prussian Provincial Papers . Volume 10, Königsberg 1856, pp. 216-224.
- The administrative districts of Prussia under the rule of the German Order . In: New Prussian Provincial Papers . Volume 11. Koenigsberg 1857, pp. 1-33 , pp. 88-123.
- The new eighteenth century administrative districts . In: New Prussian Provincial Papers . Volume 11. Koenigsberg 1857, pp. 215-223 , pp 447-468.
- Historically comparative geography of Prussia. Gotha 1858 ( full text , 398 pages).
- Communications on Prussian legal history . In: Old Prussian Monthly Journal , Volume 2. Königsberg 1865, pp. 413-422 ( full text ), pp. 694-717 ( e-copy ).
- The establishment of elementary schools in the Ortelsburg main office under the government of King Friedrich Wilhelm I. In: Old Prussian Monthly , Volume 3. Königsberg 1866, pp. 302-311 ( e-copy ).
- The division of the Diocese of Ermeland between the Teutonic Order and the Ermland Bishop . In: Old Prussian Monthly Journal , Volume 3, Königsberg 1866, pp. 630–648 ( E-Copy ).
- Masurian superstitions . Danzig 1867 ( full text ).
- About Prussian Lischken, towns and cities. A contribution to the history of the municipal constitutions in Prussia . In: Neue Prussische Provinzial-Blätter , fourth episode. Volume 4. Königsberg 1867, pp. 511-536 ( full text ), pp. 621-646 ( full text ).
- On the history of the historical literature of Prussia in the 16th century . In: New Prussian Provincial Papers . Fourth episode. Volume 5, Königsberg 1868, pp.243-264.
- Old German manuscripts in Prussia . In: New Prussian Provincial Papers . Fourth episode. Volume 6, Königsberg 1869, pp. 97-115 ( e-copy ).
- Document find . In: New Prussian Provincial Papers . Fourth episode. Volume 6. Königsberg 1869, pp. 270-280 ( e-copy ).
- Memories of F. Neumann . In: Neue Preußische Provinzial-Blätter , Volume 72. Königsberg 1869, pp. 327–354 ( E-Copy ).
- Antiquities near Hohenstein in East Prussia . In: New Prussian Provincial Papers . Fourth episode. Volume 7, Königsberg 1870, pp. 13-42.
- History of Masuria - a contribution to the Prussian state and cultural history , 1870, reprint 1979 ( e-copy , 540 pages).
- Topographical-statistical reports on the domain-Vorwerk of the German order in Prussia . In: Preußische Provinzial-Blätter , Volume 73. Königsberg 1870, pp. 412-486 ( E-Copy ).
- Remembrance of the suffering of Königsberg in 1807. Report from Police Director Frey to Chamber President v. Auerswald . In: Preußische Provinzial-Blätter , Volume 73. Königsberg 1870, pp. 703-716 ( E-Copy ).
- Evidence of the war burdens and war damage suffered by Prussia from 1806–1813 . In: Preußische Provinzial-Blätter , Volume 74, Issue 1. Königsberg 1871, pp. 46-58 ( E-Copy ).
- Elbingen antiques. A contribution to the history of urban life in the Middle Ages .
- Popular poems, initially from manuscripts of the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries. Collected 17th century. In: New Prussian Provincial Leaves : Fourth Series, Volume 9, Königsberg i. Pr. 1872, pp. 289-314 , pp. 385-430 and pp. 513-549.
- The lowland near Marienwerder. A historical-chorographic investigation with special regard to Weichselburg and Zantir . In: Old Prussian Monthly , Volume 10, Königsberg i. Pr. 1873, pp. 219-353 and pp. 307-337 .
- Files of the Ständetage Prussia under the rule of the Teutonic Order , reprinted 1974 (786 pages).
- History of the city of Marienwerder and its engineering structures . Marienwerder 1875.
- About some antiquities from the time of paganism in the neighborhood of Marienwerder . In: New Prussian Provincial Papers . Fourth episode, volume 13, Königsberg i. Pr. 1876, pp. 129-153 and pp. 513-528.
- The Elbingen historians and historians, presented in a critical overview (= magazine of the West Prussian History Association. Issue XXXII), Danzig 1893 digitized
- Contributions to the history of the Vistula Delta . Danzig 1894 ( e-copy in the digital library Mecklenburg-Vorpommern).
- Karl Lohmeyer : Toeppen, Max Pollux . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 38, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1894, pp. 451-453.
- Old Prussian Biography , Volume 2, 1967
- Literature by and about Max Toeppen in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by Max Toeppen in the OPAC of the Regesta Imperii , with digital copies
- Max Toeppen Moja biblioteka mazurska, Biographical information (Polish)
- Habilitation thesis: Critica de historia Borussiae antiqua .
- Toeppen, Max (Koessler's teachers' dictionary)
- The Elbing District (elbing-land-familienforschung.de)
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Toeppen, Max Pollux (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German high school teacher in East Prussia, regional historian of Prussia|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 4, 1822|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Koenigsberg i. Pr.|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 3, 1893|
|Place of death||Elblag|